• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

beep beep horn paint code or color?

djais1801

Reaction score
i want to paint my original beep beep horn, it's black i'm assuming from 46 yrs of elements.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
'68 and '73 had black horns...not sure of '72. but '69-'71 had purple.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Testors (yes, the model paint folks) makes a correctly colored purple paint for the horns. Do a search on here and I'm sure you'll find a dozen references.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's what some of us (me included) used. and yours may be a replacement horn.

djais1801

Reaction score
i just spoke with the Original owner...he never changed the horn, he doesn't remember if it was purple or not.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
March is late should have run out of black ons long before then. Crazy things happen, I had an after market wing window in my car and a dent in the stainless trim where some one broke in.The owner said he never replaced the glass but He did say the delivery was late so we speculate that it was broke into at the dealer for a shift knob or something and the dealer had the glass replaced.

Last edited:

jaymarr65

Reaction score
So I think august would be the beginning of the new model year , my 72 was built 8/19/71 that would make it a very early 72 ?

droptop

Reaction score
69 thru 75 had purple horns. That was length of the agreement with Warner Brothers for the use of the bird and the sound of the horn. A lot of horns were replaced under warranty due to the sound not being correct. Replacements were black. 69 and 70 had the long bracket, 71-75 had the short bracket.

Last edited:

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Weird. I posted that info but it seems to have disappeared. Other 68 carry over items have been found on 69 cars with mid-year build dates.

Purple. 69 should be purple it was even pointed out in some of the old ads. If you have a very early build it is possible.

Back