• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

beep beep horn paint code or color?

jays69bird

Reaction score
My original horn was black,(Build date 9/09/68) My original door handles had black buttons. I met a guy from West Virginian at Carlise in 2001 who had an early build 69 covertible in the butterscotch color with the black horn. His family was the original owners. I had to laugh when he told me he lost points at a concours show because the judge told him the horn was wrong ! He tried explaining the car was original and untouched !

ricks_RR

Reaction score
69 RR had purple but if you know the first owner ask him because they did some crazy stuff back then .mine has chrome on the truck lid and I got the trunk lid from the original owner and that's the way it was on the lot when he bought the car in 69. purple looks better on a 69

djais1801

Reaction score
I did talk to him, he said he doesn't remember ever changing it, it's black and sounds more accurate to the RR. I may pull it and paint it.
69 RR had purple but if you know the first owner ask him because they did some crazy stuff back then .mine has chrome on the truck lid and I got the trunk lid from the original owner and that's the way it was on the lot when he bought the car in 69. purple looks better on a 69

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the guy on the assembly line would have just grabbed what was in the parts bin....left over black '68 horn or the new for '69 purple.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Curious as to what the date code on your black horn is just to see how long it sat around the factory.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My car according to the fender tag was a January 27th car and the original horn is dated 38th week of 68 so it was made 3.5 months ahead of the car. It is nice to have the 1st owner a mile away for reference. The best part are the old street race stories.

djais1801

Reaction score
I pulled the horn, light scuff revealed purple paint underneath. The only numbers I found was "model SA" and the numbers "036".
Question: was the bracket purple also? Mine has purple paint under black also

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mine is stamped right under Sparton and stamped crooked compared to the horn lettering

djais1801

Reaction score
I pulled the horn, light scuff revealed purple paint underneath. The only numbers I found was "model SA" and the numbers "036".
Question: was the bracket purple also? Mine has purple paint under black also...
Okay so now it's painted and I reversed the horn on the bracket so roadrunner sticker faces driver side, BUT the wire from the relay doesn't reach (relay is on radiator support).
Is the RR sticker side supposed to face the passenger fender or the driver?
Also it's angled down towards oil pan

djais1801

Reaction score
yes...I realized that it was mounted on the inner fender and the horn relay was in the spot where the horn should have been. it has been corrected, however I attached the horn on the wrong side of the bracket, not leaving enough room between the fender. I will swap it out another day!
IMG_6661%201_zpsnpuvp8eb.jpg

Back