1. ‘69_Sunfire_RR

‘69_Sunfire_RR Active Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Figured I’d revive an old topic...
    Folks, I have a pretty stock 383 in my ‘69 but I’m looking to get a little more out of it for fun cruising, etc. I’m not looking to race the car, at all, but I want more out of this setup. 900 miles on this build. This is a low mileage engine which didn’t require boring. Forged flat tops, stock crank, rods, and heads. Stock 2.08/1.74 valves. New Mopar cam (.450/.464) which I’m told is the closest to the stock RR or Magnum cam. Matching Mopar springs, stock 1.5 rockers. 4-speed, newly rebuild 489 case with 3.55’s. Stock 2.5’’ exhaust, factory replacement exhaust system. Intake is a Edelbrock dual plane performer 383. I still have the original ‘69 cast iron intake in excellent shape. Currently running a Holley 670 Street Avenger :)BangHead: ). I’d like to go to a different carb. Does it make sense with my setup to go to a true double-pumper (dual metering blocks, dual accelerator pumps, mechanical secondaries, etc.)? I intend to go to a higher lift cam, full length headers, different mufflers at the very least, and a RPM intake. I’m looking to get around 450 hp at the crank. Thank you all!

2. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Would you know the compression ratio?

3. ‘69_Sunfire_RR

‘69_Sunfire_RR Active Member

Jun 9, 2018
    It’s 10.0:1. Thank you.

4. ykf7b0

ykf7b0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Good! With that compression and a little more lift and more duration @ .050 with a new cam, opening that exhaust up to 3 inches, and putting on that Performer RPM I will recommend a Holley 750 double pump with mechanical secondaries. It will ROCK!!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Russ69Runner likes this.