• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bird wounded by lawn mower man

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
:soap:

I parked the Bird at my Aunt house. I go in to see her and my other Aunt that requires 24/7, has had health issues her entire life.

An old man comes by and I guess he mows her lawn pretty regular. Asks if she wants it cut/leaves bagged. A few minutes either way and this doesn't happen.

He for some reason, felt the need to mow a strip right next to my car. And went about 4 feet down the rear quarter with I suppose the handle or somepart of the mower. I noticed it IMMEDIATELY when I went to get in the car.

:soap: Old man was 75 or so. Drove a destroyed looking late 80s early 90s Chevy pickup. He sure didn't come around while I inspected the damage.

I've been down the parked car thing a time or two. Only option would be to sue. Not gonna get money from anybody and only other thing was to go off and get thrown in jail :chuck: . Added bonus would have been upsetting my Aunt that has to be cared for. She doesn't like changes at all, including any sort of arguing. She tends to scream and throw things :eek: since her mind isn't right. We had to take her little ceramic collection after one spell years ago. :leave:

At least it didn't scrap down to bare metal. I wish I knew why that little strip of grass was so damned important to be mowed with a car right there. :brickwall: :brickwall:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Wow, that REALLY sucks!!!!
Understandably, there's really nothing you can do, which is frustrating!

WTF, couldn't that old guy have considered your car?!
It's not like you had some kind of beater sitting there, like my daily driver '98 Neon....

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Really crappy thing is, I parked on an old graveled/grassy area so my cousin that is there to help care for my Aunt could park in the driveway if she came back. If I had parked on the paved area, this likely doesn't happen. :brickwall:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that. Where exactly is the scratch on the rear 1/4? I mean how high up, just above the wheel well etc......

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of it but it is right in the middle between the wheel lip and the eyebrow crease that runs to the tail light.

I'm not sure this qualified as a hit and run. Pretty sure it would be a civil matter and not worth court.
He doesn't have a mowing company,insurance, etc. Just some old **** with a mower or two.

We had a witness to my wifes car being hit by the paper boy one morning. He hit it while it was parked in a proper space. Left and we got him tracked down. Cops wouldn't do crap, he not only committed felony hit and run, he had a FAKE insurance card.

A law suit against the paper company would have been the thing to do but they just laughed at us and pretty much dared us to. Would have cost lots more than the repair and been major hassle, I've had a few court dealings in civil crap before. Fixed the car for about 400 bucks out of pocket.

That deal required having the cops come out 3 times :toetap: to even get them to issue a police report so I could continue to pursue the law suit at that point before I got tired of the crap involved. I can only imagine me wanting to charge or arrest and old man with a mower for a scratch. :crazy:

Our system sucks but I wonder how stuff goes in many of the other countries in the world?

Jim S.

Reaction score
A good body-paint guy should be able to blend the color, then blend the clear going from the door to the taillight and blending the clear just up to the eyebrow crease. Other alternative is blend the color then clear both rear 1/4s including the roof. Just guessing, I'd say about $400 to $600. Then again my wife always says I'm still living in the 70s. So maybe my price estimates are also. This link is not exactly the same thing but, it shows how color and clear can be blended without doing the whole panel.

http://www.snowy91.com/Technical/painti ... ts_com.htm

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
some people just don't car when it comes to "old cars", or at the very least respecting othr people's properity.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I'm hoping that it might buff out or at least blend better with some work. The car could use paint but is presentable and decent looking- something I like just for this reason here. This would have really hurt if I had pushed painting it earlier this year.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your mishap. I think George meant report it as a hit and run elsewhere; not as a lawn mower incident at your aunt's house. Depending upon your deductible it might be a better alternative...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
some people just don't car when it comes to "old cars", or at the very least respecting othr people's properity.
SCG, that really does suck. I think Dave hit it on the head. Some people just don't care about other peoples property, or what it may mean to them. For another example of this kind of sh!t go to the link for a story about what some idiots did to a museum here in CT.

http://www.courant.com/community/windha ... 2672.story

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
As a railfan, that makes me sad. :soap:

In other news, two handguns appear to have disappeared from my home. :soap: :soap: :eek:

I have to wait until the old lady gets home from work but things are looking bad. We have to rent this place for awhile until done with school. I have long been concerned for the repair staff and their easy access to keys. One barged in one day unannounced while I was gone and she was here asleep. Supposedly looking for a leak.

One is my favorite 44 Mag competition edition Smith. Dirty Harry would want to UPGRADE to one of those.

The other is a 9 shot 22 that I kept by the bed just in case. It has been in the family for 50 years, likely longer.

Crappy weekend for material items...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Basketcase said:
SCG, that really does suck. I think Dave hit it on the head. Some people just don't care about other peoples property, or what it may mean to them. For another example of this kind of sh!t go to the link for a story about what some idiots did to a museum here in CT.

http://www.courant.com/community/windha ... 2672.story

Well that just plain sucks. Hopefully there will be an outpouring of community support to fund the repair of the vandalized pieces.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
As a railfan, that makes me sad. :soap:

In other news, two handguns appear to have disappeared from my home. :soap: :soap: :eek:

I have to wait until the old lady gets home from work but things are looking bad. We have to rent this place for awhile until done with school. I have long been concerned for the repair staff and their easy access to keys. One barged in one day unannounced while I was gone and she was here asleep. Supposedly looking for a leak.

One is my favorite 44 Mag competition edition Smith. Dirty Harry would want to UPGRADE to one of those.

The other is a 9 shot 22 that I kept by the bed just in case. It has been in the family for 50 years, likely longer.

Crappy weekend for material items...

As a fellow gun owner - that is really bad news! I would report those stolen ASAP! Also, I would inform the cops about the key situation. It might be as easy as one scumbag in the "repair staff" has a criminal record......

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Wife says she took them to another room when I was gone over the summer. Odd as she claims to hate guns. Even got real mad at my "Insured by Thompson" shirts I had my buddy with a shop make up :thumbsup: She'll have to get them because I sure didn't find them.

The key thing is crap but this is the best place for now, even with that problem. Employee here or not, I trust no one.

I have some pics rail fans might like, I'll see if they will work.

1906 Alco steam engine still sits in my hometown in a shed. I have pics from the last time it was out.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Expo in 93

Remaining living workers from railroad on train. One guy actually was an engineer on number 12. Conductor and office staff.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Steamer doesn't run, had to be puled out by the diesel.

Doubt the diesel runs anymore either. Family won't sell any of this stuff. Have been offered a rumored 125K for the steamer.

Back