• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

broken fuel pump rod ????

John69RR

Reaction score
I've had one fail also. It wasn't long after I built my 452 stroker that the cam end broke off. Luckily I was just down the street and got a few friends to help push me home. Thanks for the tip about the hardened one at Hughes.

moparstuart

Reaction score
John69RR said:
I've had one fail also. It wasn't long after I built my 452 stroker that the cam end broke off. Luckily I was just down the street and got a few friends to help push me home. Thanks for the tip about the hardened one at Hughes.

I have my rod out and it looks worn alittl but not really broken ?
it is dished on top and mashed (mushroomed out slightly ) but i'm not sure thats enought to make the pump not work ? I guess I will match it with the new one tomorrow when it shows up on the little brown truck .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the lack of zinc in the new oils may have something to do with this. Just like the accelerated cam and lifter wear that people are experiencing

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I can't help but wonder if the lack of zinc in the new oils may have something to do with this. Just like the accelerated cam and lifter wear that people are experiencing

I'm thinking that you're right on the money with that one Big Guy...

:jester:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":1gt23845]I can't help but wonder if the lack of zinc in the new oils may have something to do with this. Just like the accelerated cam and lifter wear that people are experiencing

:jester:[/quote:1gt23845]

yes.... john is 100% right

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":2wrqxdqd]I can't help but wonder if the lack of zinc in the new oils may have something to do with this. Just like the accelerated cam and lifter wear that people are experiencing

yes.... john is 100% right[/quote:2wrqxdqd]
Yep it acts just like a solid lifter!

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's a possibility, although I have run nothing but synthetic in it since I put it back together. It may be time to pull a lifter out and have a look at the contact face just to be on the safe side. I've got one of those handy-dandy lifter pullers so I won't have to remove the intake :D besides, its overdue for a valvetrain adjustment anyway.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I just thought I better say "yes John you are right" so the rest of you don't one up me on our leader..... :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I just thought I better say "yes John you are right" so the rest of you don't one up me on our leader..... :lmao:

That won't help you; Fearless Leader is already wise to your shennanigans...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Everytime I see John online I stand and salute the screen :worship: :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I use Valvoline race oil which has zinc and a little STP which is full of zinc. If you look at a Valvoline bottle and box it says its not for street use, reason being zinc screws up catalytic converters.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I use Valvoline race oil which has zinc and a little STP which is full of zinc. If you look at a Valvoline bottle and box it says its not for street use, reason being zinc screws up catalytic converters.
We have those things on our cars?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
No, but Valvoline labels it that way so folks dont put it newer cars :yesnod:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
No, but Valvoline labels it that way so folks dont put it newer cars :yesnod:
Ya mean that people would do that? :jester: I didn't think there that many people that actually read labels! :devil:

Back