• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build date

jays69bird

Reaction score
My was an early build,no headrest,original door handles had black buttons.I never paid attention to the k frame stamping,but since my motor is original Iam sure it is.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Mine celebrated it's 40 y/o "scheduled" birthday on 5/15 :cheers:

So... you and your car are the same age almost to the day. :cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
My car will turn 40 next Wednesday! And I can only try and remember what it was like to be 40! :jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
That reminds me, my car was 40 on the 16th. I'll have to send it a belated b'day card! :banana:

dstryr

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="ACME A12":1isi8e7i]It is on the fender tag - but that isn't the gospel. For instance, all of the A12 cars have build dates of either 3-29 or 4-26. However, they were built in batches that ran from March to June. My car has a 4-26 build date but was more likely built on one of the first days of June (based on the VIN sequencing I have found on the A12 website). I have never done the research on the 383 cars, but if they are the same as the A12s then the date stamped on the K-Member (assuming your car has its original K-Member) will likely be the actual build date or within a day or two of it.

ACME

Well, this afternoon I put Bambi up on the lift. Tomorrow I'm yanking the tranny. Brewers Performance has made me a flywheel to properly mate my '70 440-6 big rod engine (external balance) to the '69 cast iron bellhousing and 11" clutch set-up - a combination the factory never offered. This is just temporary until I do the full resto and put the date code correct 1969 engine in that I am currently building. Anyway, I seized the opportunity to scrape the crud off of her K-Member. 1559 2. 155th day of 1969, second shift. That would be June 4, 1969. So she was probably built some where around the 5th or 6th of June... Seems my hunch based on VIN sequencing was pretty close...

I also grabbed some Scotbright and rubbed on the tranny stamp. Matches the VIN just like Tem (the PO) told me it did. Now if only that damned original matching number block would just show up on my doorstep unannounced... :lol:

:jester:
ACME[/quote:1isi8e7i]

Cool find. My k-frame was built on 6-4 and the engine was assembled on 6-4.

One thing I have always wondered is if the motors were mated to the k-frame at the engine plant and then transported to the production line for installation. It seems like the k-frames(at least for A12 cars) are dated before the EAD or on the EAD, but I don't recall seeing the k-frame dated AFTER the EAD on an A12 car.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dstryr said:
ACME A12 said:
[quote="ACME A12":3ve408w7]It is on the fender tag - but that isn't the gospel. For instance, all of the A12 cars have build dates of either 3-29 or 4-26. However, they were built in batches that ran from March to June. My car has a 4-26 build date but was more likely built on one of the first days of June (based on the VIN sequencing I have found on the A12 website). I have never done the research on the 383 cars, but if they are the same as the A12s then the date stamped on the K-Member (assuming your car has its original K-Member) will likely be the actual build date or within a day or two of it.

ACME

Well, this afternoon I put Bambi up on the lift. Tomorrow I'm yanking the tranny. Brewers Performance has made me a flywheel to properly mate my '70 440-6 big rod engine (external balance) to the '69 cast iron bellhousing and 11" clutch set-up - a combination the factory never offered. This is just temporary until I do the full resto and put the date code correct 1969 engine in that I am currently building. Anyway, I seized the opportunity to scrape the crud off of her K-Member. 1559 2. 155th day of 1969, second shift. That would be June 4, 1969. So she was probably built some where around the 5th or 6th of June... Seems my hunch based on VIN sequencing was pretty close...

I also grabbed some Scotbright and rubbed on the tranny stamp. Matches the VIN just like Tem (the PO) told me it did. Now if only that damned original matching number block would just show up on my doorstep unannounced... :lol:

:jester:
ACME

Cool find. My k-frame was built on 6-4 and the engine was assembled on 6-4.

One thing I have always wondered is if the motors were mated to the k-frame at the engine plant and then transported to the production line for installation. It seems like the k-frames(at least for A12 cars) are dated before the EAD or on the EAD, but I don't recall seeing the k-frame dated AFTER the EAD on an A12 car.[/quote:3ve408w7]

Yeah, it would be good to have an established timeline for this. I wish I could add to the statistics but I can't as my original block is LONG gone so I have nothing to compare against...

Ray

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Its real hard to read it, I just went out and sanded down the k member and I still am not sure what numbers are there. It looks like 1619. With the 6 and 1 in the center are the hardest to read. The outline of the stamp is there but the number is too light. Looks like from my calculations its June 10th on non leap year.

joewhite440

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Big John said:
Plymouthfan said:
Mine celebrated it's 40 y/o "scheduled" birthday on 5/15 :cheers:

So... you and your car are the same age almost to the day. :cheers:
we're 5 days apart!

That is cool. I have always wanted a car or truck built the year I was born 1959. I have never seen a car I liked from that year in Mopars. Anyone think of any??? Most are really ugly!

Joe

Back