• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam.......yet again

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Hey Mc, Do you know what cc those pistons are? I thought I had a set of those bought on ebay and somebody be me to them with 5 seconds left. That's when I bought the ones I have now........ :cheers:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Not sure but I'll check with my buddy Jim Fitzpatrick and get back to you.
Those are the pistons I wanted. Mine are only -6cc. I think yours are more like -10. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
As far as I know those pistons are now out of production. I have seen them used on the web but haven't seen anything as far a new listing for them. I'm still waiting to hear from Jim. I told him to get himself registered in here so he can help out on tech matters and join in the festivities. He's quite busy right now but I think we'll get him on board pretty soon.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
As far as I know those pistons are now out of production. I have seen them used on the web but haven't seen anything as far a new listing for them. I'm still waiting to hear from Jim. I told him to get himself registered in here so he can help out on tech matters and join in the festivities. He's quite busy right now but I think we'll get him on board pretty soon.

I think he was all set to join up...............until..................he spotted the "Mustard Toe"..... :lmao:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
classracer said:
mcmopar said:
Yeah - making sure it isn't contagious I'll bet! :acme: :lmao: :lmao:
Old Mustard Toe, now that was funny!!!!!!!!
Welcome aboard classracer...........Please join in on the fun.......these guys pick on me all the time....... :rimshot:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
classracer said:
mcmopar said:
Welcome aboard classracer...........Please join in on the fun.......these guys pick on me all the time....... :rimshot:

Hey Jim, welcome aboard!!!

Poor Gary - we just abuse the crap out of him...that's why the smilies :pot: and :devil: are synonymous with "Hoosier Bird" on this forum... :lmao:

Make sure you introduce yourself to the rest of the gang - and for goodness sake don't forget to throw a few pics of your car up on the board...otherwise you'll be hearing from the picture police... :lol:

:jester:
ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey Jim - glad you got the glitches worked out. You should feel right at home here! :thumbsup:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
hey jim, welcome to the birdsnest. these are a cool bunch of guys on here. :drive: :banana: :banana: :thumbsup:
classracer said:
mcmopar said:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Back into the cam thing, I need to have 1.850 installed height to run the XE285HL. I have new pioneer springs (#810011-4) which coil bind at 1.265. Anyone know what my installed height might be. As the lift for the 285 is .545 I'm thinking I might be pretty close. Recommendations??? Thanks

BBillyC

Reaction score
Anyone know what this piston is. I think TRW 30 over and the number under the dome is 231-99. What compression would this yield with 88cc heads??

classracer

Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Anyone know what this piston is. I think TRW 30 over and the number under the dome is 231-99. What compression would this yield with 88cc heads??

I'm not familiar with those pioneer springs. I think we have a pioneer catalog at the shop, so I will try and look them up. If your rockers are a true 1.5 to 1 ratio then you will have approx. .540" to .545" lift. If you have an installed height of 1.850", less the .545" valve lift; leaves you approx. 1.305". Most of the performance cam companies give you a coil bind figure that includes a .060" cushion. I don't know if pioneer does this. You will need to check the spring for tension at the installed height and at max lift. You will also need to double check the springs for the actual coil bind or stack height (point where the spring becomes solid). Just remember; take nothing for granted....check and double check everything.

That piston looks like a TRW L2293 or the Speed Pro equivalent.. John McGowan has these in his 383. They can make lots of compression. You will have to work them over some, run a thick head gasket, and keep the combustion chamber pretty big to be able to use them with pump gas.

To every else I say hello!!!!

Jim

mcmopar

Reaction score
Heh - I was hoping Jim would answer this one. He's the guy who spent all my money for me when I was building my 383. When I told him I had found a set of 2.14" intake valves but no affordable 1.81" exhaust valves he told me to check Indy Cylinder Heads. Sure enough, for $76 and change they had them so I said "ok, here's my credit card number - send 'em to me." He's the one who also told me to check with Comp to see if they had a slightly smaller cam than the XE285HL-10 featured in a Mopar Muscle 383 build - sure enough they had the XE275HL-10. I was going to go with an MP Purple Shaft (284/284 - .484" lift) but he told me "these heads are gonna be happier with a cam that has more lift." So, out came the credit card again for springs, lifters and 1.6 ratio roller rockers and shafts. BTW we checked piston to valve clearance and there is plenty! After seeing pics of your setup beware - he'll be spending your money for you too! :jester:
PS - I was just gonna say that those pistons look just like my L2293's. While you have the opportunity round off all the sharp edges and ridges as this will help reduce ping/detonation. If you set it up right you'll love the power that beast will produce. One of these days I'm going to have to borrow Jerry's dial back timing light so I can tell you exactly how mine is set up. That way you should be able to duplicate my results on pump gas.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Thats just fabulous stuff and I can't wait to get your set up.

I've run into another issue with the connecting rod bearings. I bought new sealed power 8-2320CP rod bearings and I notice that they don't have the little oiler groove on the upper and lower bearing which squirts oil through the rod to the opposite bank. The bearings that came out (Clevite CB 527 P) had this little groove, but the new Sealed Power bearings made for the 383 don't have it....or do I have to file the groove in myself, or just go buy clevite bearings??? Thanks Bill

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Heh - I was hoping Jim would answer this one. He's the guy who spent all my money for me when I was building my 383. When I told him I had found a set of 2.14" intake valves but no affordable 1.81" exhaust valves he told me to check Indy Cylinder Heads. Sure enough, for $76 and change they had them so I said "ok, here's my credit card number - send 'em to me." He's the one who also told me to check with Comp to see if they had a slightly smaller cam than the XE285HL-10 featured in a Mopar Muscle 383 build - sure enough they had the XE275HL-10. I was going to go with an MP Purple Shaft (284/284 - .484" lift) but he told me "these heads are gonna be happier with a cam that has more lift." So, out came the credit card again for springs, lifters and 1.6 ratio roller rockers and shafts. BTW we checked piston to valve clearance and there is plenty! After seeing pics of your setup beware - he'll be spending your money for you too! :jester:
PS - I was just gonna say that those pistons look just like my L2293's. While you have the opportunity round off all the sharp edges and ridges as this will help reduce ping/detonation. If you set it up right you'll love the power that beast will produce. One of these days I'm going to have to borrow Jerry's dial back timing light so I can tell you exactly how mine is set up. That way you should be able to duplicate my results on pump gas.
Jim sounds like my wife, just give her the credit card shes happy :lol:

Back