• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you read this Fender Tag?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
From what I can read & guess:

M21 END
?? Y4 H2X X9 320 17422
?? D32 RM21 H9G ######

I dont have the build sheet. I believe there is a code on the bottom left I cant read, are there options for this spot or is it E63 for all 69 383 RRs? Also if it was a solid color is there a left code on the 2nd line?. S/N hidden for security.

Car is a 69 RR, w/383 and 727. Tag info matches VIN/Trans/Engine.... I posted with a sligtly higer resolution pic at moparts since I can upload larger files/images there..... Any help would be great.

Thanks

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I punched this into the Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring and came up with:

RM21:
Plymouth Belvedere,Satellite
Medium, Road Runner
2 Door Coupe

H9G: 383 330HP OR 335HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

XXXXXX: Sequence number

E63: 383 cid 4 barrel V8 H.P. 335hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
Y4: Gold Metallic Exterior Color
H2X: Trim - High, Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
X9: Black Int. Door Frames
320: Build Date: March 20
17422: Order number

M21: Roof drip rail moldings
END: End of Sales Codes

Sure looks like there is something in front of the Y4 - but I don't know what it would be...if there is a vinyl top or the top is painted a different color it usually goes where your M21 code is found...

Ray

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Thanks, I wasnt sure about the E63. If it was a solid color car would there be a Y4 in front of the Y4? Other then that looks like I can read everything...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
If it was a solid color car would there be a Y4 in front of the Y4?

Anything is possible with these cars...always keep that in mind...NEVER say never...

BUT, they USUALLY have the upper and lower paint or top codes separated on lines 2 and 3 (working from the bottom up) and there's no need for an additional code if it was a solid color. But then again, please refer to my first statement... If that is the very first code on your second line then the spacing is odd - and it certainly looks like there is or should be another code there... Why don't you try cleaning it up some more to see if something else emerges...?

You'll see some goofy things on these tags - at least yours isn't a Lynch Road tag which are the worst (least amount of info provided usually)... Mine has a "2" stamped on the right end of it...SIDEWAYS...no one has ever been able to give me a definitive answer on that one...

Ray

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I mentioned I posted at moparts as well, and one of the questions brough up there is with how many little options the car has, is what i assume to be H2X for the interior actually M2X?

What was std on a 69 RR post car, from what I read in the resto guide there wasnt even a medium option for black bench seats, so if it ends in 2X which it does it has to be a H?

CWR

Reaction score
on my fender tag (1969)

Middle line first 2 codes...... T5 T5 (copper metallic )

if the upper and lower body were painted the same you have that code, Mine showed also V1X (vinyl roof black) but still the T5 T5

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
I mentioned I posted at moparts as well, and one of the questions brough up there is with how many little options the car has, is what i assume to be H2X for the interior actually M2X?

What was std on a 69 RR post car, from what I read in the resto guide there wasnt even a medium option for black bench seats, so if it ends in 2X which it does it has to be a H?

On the early Runners the post cars are Belvederes (low price class) and the hardtops are Satellites (high price class) so you have varying trim levels ("M" interior in a RM21 is not the same as "M" interior in a RM23 car because of the different starting price classes) depending on the roof style. I'll have to do some research on the black M2X availability on a RM21 car - not sure - my car is a RM21 w/ a M2B so I know that blue was available, but haven't had the need for that info on the black variants. Interesting if that is indeed the case. I'll try to find out for you.

Are the seat covers original and if so, do you have a pic?

Ray

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I see you replied to my other post about the bucket seats in the car. I was postive the covers werent orignal, but from the tag it was a black interior car, the question now is just what grade it was, any sources that you might have to help would be great....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Bob:

Attached is a pic of the M2X interior in a coupe - replete with the bottom-feeder steering wheel, painted stainless trim, and colored arm rest bases. I should have thought to ask how the rest of your car is equipped, but I guess I was having brain-fade... These are all tell-tale signs of the "M" trim level in an RM21 car. I can't see your steering wheel in your bucket seat pictures - does yours look like this one or is it a nicer version? Someone could have easily polished your stainless trim (visible in your picture), but if you have this wheel I'd bet on the "M" level appointments; otherwise I'd guess "H".

This picture is taken from a completely restored A12 BTW, so the interior is dead-on for the "one step above a taxi" medium trim level Belvedere interior.

Hope this helps.

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I just went back and looked at your bucket seat photos; no rear arm rests. Unless someone intentionally deleted these when they did your interior...I'd be willing to bet on M2X based on that...

:jester:
ACME

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Yea im not sure about the rear arm rests. The front door panels are for sure not stock, and the rear are just plain black not even a stich/pleat design just solid so who knows....

I guess my bottom line is was M2X even an option for a 69 RR, since its not listed in the "Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide" as one of the Interior Color combinations (pg 197 if you have the book)

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Yea im not sure about the rear arm rests. The front door panels are for sure not stock, and the rear are just plain black not even a stich/pleat design just solid so who knows....

I guess my bottom line is was M2X even an option for a 69 RR, since its not listed in the "Charger, Road Runner, & Super Bee Restoration Guide" as one of the Interior Color combinations (pg 197 if you have the book)

I bought a copy of that a few months ago when a bunch of us here bought the "ACME Catalogue". I thumbed through it for less than 10 minutes and found a few details (mostly A12 stuff) that are inaccurate; I wouldn't use that as the "B-Body Bible". Think of it as more as a guide...which is why I posted the picture that I did - no one in their right mind is going to intentionally incorrectly restore an A12 that they want to bring top dollar (that car was recently for sale).

Next time you have the rear panels off look for signs of arm rests having been screwed on at some time; should be easy enough to tell.

As for putting back to original - Legendary makes everything you need...just order the stuff for a Belvedere and not a Satellite... :D

ACME

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, i missed the last question about the steering wheel, and the one that is on the car now (no idea if its original) is similar/same as the one in the picture. No Road Runner or other emblem in the center, just a small round black horn pad in the center.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at some more fender tags - noticed that even mine has B5 twice so I looked at another source - the A12 Registry. There is a handy VIN decoder on mymopar.com that I had punched your numbers into...but it is rigidly formatted and doesn't work for the Lynch Road cars for instance - and only allows for one paint code. Looking at the VIN decoder info on the registry confirmed what we've been saying here. First entry of the paint code is body color. Second is roof or vinyl top color as was surmised. The code for the vinyl top then appears in the row above that if applicable. Your Y4 Y4 combo therefore would indicate solid color as you thought and would have to be what the illegible code is. I love the forensics of VIN tag decoding but just don't do it enough to know it off the top of my head...and limited cranial capacity doesn't help... :lol:

ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mine says B5 twice also because you could get a roof painted a different color :thumbsup:

glhcarl

Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Thanks for the help, i missed the last question about the steering wheel, and the one that is on the car now (no idea if its original) is similar/same as the one in the picture. No Road Runner or other emblem in the center, just a small round black horn pad in the center.
Standard interior in the RR coupe was either M2B (blue), M2T (tan) or M2X (black). These interiors can be easly identified because of these features:

1. No chrome medallions on the seat backs.
2. No chrome bases under the front arm rests.
3. No rear arm rests.
4. A three spoke steering wheel with a black pad in the center. No RR or chrome horn ring.

My new in 69 RR was A4 exterior with M2X interior.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Mine says B5 twice also because you could get a roof painted a different color :thumbsup:

my tag reads X9 T5 with no code for a vinyl top so my car should have a black painted roof.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mac do you have your broadcast sheet? The order on that sheet is roof then body and I'm trying to find a two tone with sheet to verify this. None of the decode sites address this on lynch tags. If thats the order of colors on your tag most of the sites show the first to be body color which I think is :bs: You would have a black car with a bronze roof :puke: unless I'm competely off base. Here is mine for the registery :D

mac

What ?
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Mac do you have your broadcast sheet? The order on that sheet is roof then body and I'm trying to find a two tone with sheet to verify this. None of the decode sites address this on lynch tags. If thats the order of colors on your tag most of the sites show the first to be body color which I think is :bs: You would have a black car with a bronze roof :puke: unless I'm competely off base. Here is mine for the registery :D

no broad cast sheet :nopity: i always thought is was top color then bottom color. when the car went in for paint, i had to remove a few last minute items and under the master cylinder backing plate was the last remains of the original T5 paint. my car was so bugered up from others work that i just had the car painted without the painted top. really never saw a car with a painted top, so i couldn't tell if i would like the look. here is a pic. kinda hard to read in this pic.
IMG_0800.jpg

Back