• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car won't start............ugh

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Went to fire the car up and it wouldn't start......No fire........Got voltage to the coil......(Blaster).....how can I check the pickup in the distributor and the Mopar brain box? :brickwall:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Went to fire the car up and it wouldn't start......No fire........Got voltage to the coil......(Blaster).....how can I check the pickup in the distributor and the Mopar brain box? :brickwall:
i would bet the balist resister or the ecu box , i alway carry an extra one of both in my trunk , and a coil . my 2cents

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That would be the first place I'd look also, thought I may not think of it right away! Sometimes that thing is easy to overlook.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Is there a way to test the module without replacing it........Chime in here Big............... :D
yeah take it over to your other mopar :jester: :jester: oh yeah thats me who has several

you might make sure its grounded well also I always use those biter washers to make sure it gets a good ground on the fire wall paint

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Is there a way to test the module without replacing it........Chime in here Big............... :D
yeah take it over to your other mopar :jester: :jester: oh yeah thats me who has several

you might make sure its grounded well also I always use those biter washers to make sure it gets a good ground on the fire wall paint

and also your ground from engine to body and ground from engine to k-frame.....or throw out all that stone age stuff and go with MSD IGITION

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Sorry Stu.......just been putting a rear end in my recliner........I have got to get motivated........ :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Sorry Stu.......just been putting a rear end in my recliner........I have got to get motivated........ :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:
get that thing running it's getting nice out , cruising time get off that butt

:acme: :acme: :acme: :jester: :wedgie:

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I'll be awaiting the update now as well. I went out yesterday to move the x's Satellite to change a light bulb, and of course no start. I had switched ballast resistors to bring it over here last fall. I changed them yesterday again and nothing. Made sure the battery was fully charged and tried 2 different ballast resistors as well. Nothing. The "brake" warning light will come on for a second, then fade away quickly. Doesn't even crank. No electronic ignition stuff, so no box to swap out.

:huh:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
How long has the car been sitting Steve? When I still had cars with points, I sometimes found that I had to pull the cap and make sure all the contact points and the rotor were clean, and I would also use a emery cloth to clean the points. And if you haven't alreay done this, I'd make sure that all the electrical connections at the starter, and maybe even the firewall connector are clean.

moparstuart

Reaction score
dobie said:
Well, I'll be awaiting the update now as well. I went out yesterday to move the x's Satellite to change a light bulb, and of course no start. I had switched ballast resistors to bring it over here last fall. I changed them yesterday again and nothing. Made sure the battery was fully charged and tried 2 different ballast resistors as well. Nothing. The "brake" warning light will come on for a second, then fade away quickly. Doesn't even crank. No electronic ignition stuff, so no box to swap out.

:huh:
if it wont even crank i would pull the bulk head plugs and clean them first , main plugs on the fire wall

notorius problems of corrosion also if its an automatic check the nutral safety switch

dobie

Reaction score
The car has sat since October I'd say. The only thing it did was click a few a few times, almost as though it was coming from the battery. I say this as the first few times it clicked I saw a small puff of smoke from the positive terminal. I'm guessing it's time to clean the terminals, eh? There is some slight corrosion on the positive cable.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
The car has sat since October I'd say. The only thing it did was click a few a few times, almost as though it was coming from the battery. I say this as the first few times it clicked I saw a small puff of smoke from the positive terminal. I'm guessing it's time to clean the terminals, eh? There is some slight corrosion on the positive cable.
Yep, that sounds like a good place to start. When my car has sat for several months like that I would always charge up the battery before I try to start it. This may not make a difference but I take the cables off the battery so there is a direct connection from the charger to the posts.

Back