• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb advise

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
For all you guys that have a "done" car, lol. I know it depends on the funds available, but lets say if I wanted a Carb instead of fuel injection on a 68 RR/383 HP, would I be better off going with a holley, carter, old carb, or new one? I saw an ad on the net on carbdemon.com and was impressed, but maybe is talored to GM? Looking at used AVS carbs on ebay, would still probably sind the best of $200 into a carb and kit. Maybe better to spend $400 on a new one or more? Also, with a 4 speed, I am assuming that all factory ones for RRs were cast aluminum? I know an old guy that swears that he has 6 or 7 steel ones that are alot tougher. Maybe off trucks??? Don't know the application he got them from and he used to have alot of original 413 and 392 factory cars several years ago. Wonder if that is where the steel bell housings came from. What do you think I should use? I have a Holley at home, but don't have the number of the carb with me. Will be home tomorrow night to look. I have the best part of 3 engines, but only one carb, and parts of one distributor, so will be in the need of some parts shopping. Oh well, a good winter project and have some time to gather stuff in!

moparchris

Reaction score
One of two ways to go in my eyes. Either put a Holley on it (double pumper for a 4 speed car) or put an original AVS on it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I always ran AVS Carters. My Uncle got me started with them. the car I have now has a Holley DP. Must admit I like it. Plenty out there for rebuilds, but need to watch for wore shafts.

V269

Reaction score
I have a Holley 750 DP with big pumps and larger jets and squirters and it is a great carb. Of course I've always used Holley carbs so I am a little bias. You want to be hanging on when I side step the clutch. :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I do! swing by so I can go for a ride! :drive:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
In the past I had a Carter AVS installed and I could never get it to work right. come to find out it had been drop and the upper half was bent. I changed it for a Holley 750 and again I had problems, it ran rich. I change it for a newer Edlebrock an AFB version. The engine ran like a screaming ape with it. definitely go with a carter style carb. The bell housing I currently have is cast alluminum. Don't think it really matters too much unless you are wanting to race your Runner.

moparchris

Reaction score
jerrysdustydog said:
Thanks, but no comment on the bell housing?

Originally Road Runners came with cast iron bell housings. I dont know which casting numbers to look for but the info is out there on the interweb.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Iike my Holley 750 with vacuum secondaries but I also have an original AVS for the new engine I'll be building - one day.
If the car is stock, go with the Carter AVS or Holley 650. If you have some mods and an aluminum intake, go with a Holley 750 DP or vac. secondaries. Either way will be fine.
Another choice would be the Edelbrock Thunder AVS. They have 2 sizes; 600 (I think) and 850. The 850 will be too big for a stock motor but would work ok with a modified 383 or a 440.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
yeah my two sideways 1050 dominators are like flushing toliet bowls.....no chokes/no gas mileage/no balls if you dont floor it.....and what a rush every time :groucho: :groucho: :groucho:

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
yeah my two sideways 1050 dominators are like flushing toliet bowls.....no chokes/no gas mileage/no balls if you dont floor it.....and what a rush every time :groucho: :groucho: :groucho:
Real men drive cars with Dominators, total nut cases drive cars with 2 Dohominators. :lol:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have to make a corresction to my last post. I went and check my bell housing and it is cast iron. I should have remember the slight surface rust I removed when I was installing the clutch assembly several months back.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
moparchris said:
george68hemirr said:
Real men drive cars with Dominators, total nut cases drive cars with 2 Dohominators. :lol:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
moparchris said:
[

now THAT'S an avaitar tag line!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
moparchris said:
george68hemirr said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That he is, but what a rush :yesnod:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
:jester:
going to get rid of the tunnelram and run one of those indy 4500 high rise single plane mainifolds with a dominator :groucho:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, I'm running the Carter 4682s which I'm very happy with. There is no stumble from a stop, and very responsive.

Back