• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb advise

moparchris

Reaction score
The OG Carters are great carbs, I just hate how poorly the Edelbrock carbs are machined and assembled. Holleys can be a pain too but a good one is worth its weight in gold IMHO. A 3310 Holley (750 cfm vacuum secondary) works perfect for a 383 auto car and a double pumper is perfect for a 383 4 speed.

On a side note, I used to drive a 9 second Chevelle for a friend with twin Dohominators and a 4 speed and it was a bitch just to drive it down the return road. :lol:

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I drove a 70 charger with a ?Road Runner 383 HP engine back in 76 or so. Was a much hotter engine than the 440 mag the charger originally had in it (believe it or not). Don't know what carter carb was on it, but got 3.6 MPG on a tank and I took it back to the lot! Was a lot of fun for a day though! Was told it had a thermoquad, but as I think back, might have been an AVS. I'm sure with the 68RR 383 HP and with the technology now, I won't have any problem getting it to run well. Just may cost a fortune!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
jerrysdustydog said:
Thanks guys, I drove a 70 charger with a ?Road Runner 383 HP engine back in 76 or so. Was a much hotter engine than the 440 mag the charger originally had in it (believe it or not). Don't know what carter carb was on it, but got 3.6 MPG on a tank and I took it back to the lot! Was a lot of fun for a day though! Was told it had a thermoquad, but as I think back, might have been an AVS. I'm sure with the 68RR 383 HP and with the technology now, I won't have any problem getting it to run well. Just may cost a fortune!
gas mileage....forgetaboutit.....its about fast plus cool :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
:jester:
going to get rid of the tunnelram and run one of those indy 4500 high rise single plane mainifolds with a dominator :groucho:

Seriously, or are you just yucking it up? :popcorn:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
jerrysdustydog said:
Thanks, but no comment on the bell housing?

Originally Road Runners came with cast iron bell housings. I dont know which casting numbers to look for but the info is out there on the interweb.

'70 & up are aluminum IIRC...

Back