• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CG of just the body? for rotisserie to spin the car.

xcmtbjason

Reaction score
Does anyone know the vertical location of the center of gravity for just the bare uni-body? I'm building a rotisserie to spin the car and my first attempt, which I foolishly centered top to bottom resulted in the car being way out of balance when turned sideways. I am using a 30:1 gearbox, and it cranked pretty hard when the car was at 90 degrees... It did work, but I'm going to rework the setup so its better balanced when on it's side.

I'll of course post some pics and put a video out on youtube when I get it done. In the meantime though if anyone has any experience with where to place the roll center that would be really helpful as my next attempt will just be a guess, which at least will be closer and hopefully close enough because I don't plan to cut it apart for a 2nd time...

Thanks,
-Jason

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
xcmtbjason said:
Does anyone know the vertical location of the center of gravity for just the bare uni-body? I'm building a rotisserie to spin the car and my first attempt, which I foolishly centered top to bottom resulted in the car being way out of balance when turned sideways. I am using a 30:1 gearbox, and it cranked pretty hard when the car was at 90 degrees... It did work, but I'm going to rework the setup so its better balanced when on it's side.

I'll of course post some pics and put a video out on youtube when I get it done. In the meantime though if anyone has any experience with where to place the roll center that would be really helpful as my next attempt will just be a guess, which at least will be closer and hopefully close enough because I don't plan to cut it apart for a 2nd time...

Thanks,
-Jason
Here is a pic of mine, completely striped I could turn it with two fingers

xcmtbjason

Reaction score
Thanks!

1 picture explains it all. I like the height adjusting capability. Since I'm just building one out of random stuff sitting around, I won't be adding that feature.

-Jason

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That's about where mine is centered also. It should spin easily when balanced right.

th_2008_1018Stuff0010.jpg

Don't mind the noise, that's the trunk hinges flopping around.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
That's about where mine is centered also. It should spin easily when balanced right.

th_2008_1018Stuff0010.jpg

Don't mind the noise, that's the trunk hinges flopping around.
Mine made the same noise John :lol:

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
xcmtbjason said:
Thanks!

1 picture explains it all. I like the height adjusting capability. Since I'm just building one out of random stuff sitting around, I won't be adding that feature.

-Jason
P cheated and modified 2 1500lb engine stands and conected them together,then made mounts and use bumperjacks to raise and lower. IT WORKED GREAT!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
xcmtbjason said:
Thanks!

-Jason
P cheated and modified 2 1500lb engine stands and conected them together,then made mounts and use bumperjacks to raise and lower. IT WORKED GREAT!
I bought a kit on e-bay for $275 from US car tools and after buying the additional steel I was into it for $450 of course my labor was free. I sold in on craigslist for $1000 :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I bought a kit on e-bay for $275 from US car tools and after buying the additional steel I was into it for $450 of course my labor was free. I sold in on craigslist for $1000 :D

I bought the whole rotisserie from them but saved quite a bit by buying the jacks at Harbor Freight (they looked identical to the ones that US Car Tool sells) and some large casters from Grizzly Industrial.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

I bought the whole rotisserie from them but saved quite a bit by buying the jacks at Harbor Freight (they looked identical to the ones that US Car Tool sells) and some large casters from Grizzly Industrial.
I got my rams there myself :thumbsup:

Back