• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome don't get you home!

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
But neither does black wrinkle! :lol:

Always wanted one of these chrome cleaners and happened to find one on craigslist locally. It was purchased new in 96 and never mounted. It was still in box with element, base, hardware and decals. The guy even put on one of those yellow instruction decals! All for a VERY fare price, considering they're not making these any more (at least with the breathers) from what I understand. Besides my breather cap and distributor hold down, this is the only chrome under the hood... a little bling for '09...

cleaner.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm not a big chrome guy... but I have always liked those. Nice score!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase is going to want pics, so get busy :jester:Nice find

:toetap:
:eek:rly: Hey Chris, since I'm theonly one on this site that likes pics, just PM them directly to me. :lmao:
The one i have one my car, survived the fire no less, I bought back in the mid '80s at The Nats for $45, including the air filter. I can';t believe how much they go for now.

Now....where's the pic of the air cleaner onyour engine.... :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Nice find! I'd like to find a set of the Mopar Perfomance stock style valve covers in chrome. I had a set on my Charger and they looked really nice. They aren't in production anymore I don't think.

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Chrome might not get you home but it makes you look good pushing! :jester:

hotrod98

Reaction score
Nice score.
BE&A started making the black krinkle versions again, but now they're around $175. There has been speculation that Mopar Performance will cease to exist sometime this year. I hope not since it will make it difficult to find certain parts that only they have offered. Summit has back ordered absolutely every MP part that I've tried to buy in the last six months.
I managed to find a very nice black original air cleaner for my 69 runner at the St. Louis show last fall. I was shocked when I bought it for $80 and it had the hose and clamps still on it.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I'll get pix ASAP. I really want the big orange cleaner, maybe with a chrome lid as backup, but it's an expensive venture between a clean base, new wiper motor, 3 speed switch and linkage... :rolleyes:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That's a great find Chris, can't wait to see a pic of it on your car. (Basketcase isn't the only one who likes to see pics around here!) :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We ran one of those on Tam's Swinger back before the 318 got the long armed crank and became a 390. When I made the bottom end upgrade she requested the switch to black wrinkle finish on the valve covers & air cleaner. The air cleaner pictured below now resides on Bambi...

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Thats a good looking engine bay!

I'd like to put it on tomorrow along with my newly blackened alternator spacers, lol... but the weather isn't lookin too good. Since I don't store the car around here, I may just stay home... :toetap:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Now I know this cold winter has kept me from my cars way too long. How could I forget this goody on my Cuda? It not the cleanest engine compartment but I hope to do something with it when it warms up a bit.!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hey Steve...how bout some more of the Cuda........

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Stupid question Steve, but what are 273's like? I mean, compared to /6's and 318... I never drove a car with one....
Somewhere in between! Seriously, the power isn't too bad with it. This one is the Formula "S" engine so it has the 4 bbl and a different cam, but I don't know the specs of it, it's rated at 235 hp with 10.50-1 compression. Where the 318 is rated at 230 hp. It will get up and go fairly well when I open it up, but with 2.73s in the rear it won't push you back in the seat like the 383 in my runner will. The 2bbl version is rated at 185 hp. On a couple of long trips, while taking it easy I got around 17 mpg with it. I don't remember getting that with the 318 I had in my 74 Duster. And most importantly, it's been reliable whit no engine problems.

Back