• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome don't get you home!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
don't ditch that \6 too far. I'm liking the one in the truck. sure not a powerhouse, and would do better without all the hills around here.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to leave the slant myself... Maybe a little exhaust work and one of those later two barrels but that's just my opinion. I really liked the slant cars I had.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
The slant has served me well thus far... however, when it comes down to it, it gets the same milage as a 318, but has WAY less power. To add a 2bbl I need to find the correct intake and kickdown. To add a dual exhaust, I either need to find a set of headers or a set of Dutra duals ($$$) http://www.dutra.org/doug/doug-sl6-exha ... -duals.htm.

The money spent vs. power gained ratio is pretty bad. I can easily spend $1000 by converting to a 2 or 4bbl and new exhaust. I just want to be able to drive on the highway at 70-75 without the motor feeling like it's ready to implode. I'd also like to be able to pass another car every now and then, LOL.

I have almost everything I need to beef up the suspension and braking this spring. The 11" drum brakes from my Runner are ready to go in. I traded a 741 open end chunk for a complete 8 1/4" rear drum to drum with 10" brakes. I'm sure I can pick up a dependable 318 and tranny for pretty cheap from someone around here. If it happens, it won't be for a year or so, so I have plenty of time to figure something out....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
I think I'm gonna go with a 318 or 360 in the scamp when I ditch the 6... but there's a certain coolness factor I like with a 273.
I guess it was that coolness factor that made me want a car with a 273 in it. I've driven mopars that have had a 170, and 225, /6 and several with the 318's. Something always made want a car with the 273. I can't say for sure why I wanted one, but I did. Maybe because I rarely saw any cars with one at the shows. When I found the ad for this car I went after it as quick as I could. So now I have 2 complete 273's. The one in the car is a '65 engine and I also have the original 2bbl version that the car was born with!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Chris my Uncle has a 2bbl intake that could be easily had. and he drives truck over your way often.so you could meet up to save shipping.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Plymouthfan said:
I think I'm gonna go with a 318 or 360 in the scamp when I ditch the 6... but there's a certain coolness factor I like with a 273.
I guess it was that coolness factor that made me want a car with a 273 in it. I've driven mopars that have had a 170, and 225, /6 and several with the 318's. Something always made want a car with the 273. I can't say for sure why I wanted one, but I did. Maybe because I rarely saw any cars with one at the shows. When I found the ad for this car I went after it as quick as I could. So now I have 2 complete 273's. The one in the car is a '65 engine and I also have the original 2bbl version that the car was born with!
If I had a 273 I'd wrap it up in a 65 Dart GT vert, red with a white interior!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My 273 tale: I rescued a '73 Duster 340 back in the very early eighties - It had been a drag car and then had its driveline transferred to another car and was basically abandoned. I had scored a HP 273 somewhere down the line and had it bored .030" over and resized the rods, polished the crank, yada, yada yada. The TRW 10.5 replacement slugs were still available at that point and I got some other goodies dirt cheap (I was working in an auto parts store while in college) like an Alliance solid lifter cam set (I don't think they're even around anymore...) that was just a step above stock HP and set about building myself a hot little 273. I put this in front of a 4-speed and a 3.21 geared 8.25" (I actually traded another guy some stuff and got the original rear end to this car back in the deal...) and away I went. I traded out some work (rebuilt an engine in a Charger in exchange for some body work) and got the thing painted. Man, that was a nice little car. Bright yellow with a white gut, 273 four barrel and a four speed. Knocked down great gas mileage (in comparison to anything else I had at the time) and was a blast to drive. Ran pretty well too; not "340" well, but it had no trouble with the new smogger camarobirds and the like of the day. I have a 273 stashed under the work bench just in case I ever get the itch to go that route again...

:D
Ray

bigblocksam

Reaction score
here's a pic of my chrome air cleaner on the 440 in my 69 roadrunner . :drive:

bigblocksam

Reaction score
NO , SAME HOOD . I MISS DRIVING THAT CAR . IT'S THE ONLY 4 SPEED CAR I GOT .

bigblocksam

Reaction score
[*you should make it an A-12 clone]

i'm just building the car i want . i'm not following any blueprint .

i don't like that word clone . kinda cheapens it for me .

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thats what we like, build the car you want.

moparstuart

Reaction score
bigblocksam said:
[*you should make it an A-12 clone]

i'm just building the car i want . i'm not following any blueprint .

i don't like that word clone . kinda cheapens it for me .

clone clone clone clone clone , LOL I love clones and cloning :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Back