• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

color change

Wildie

Reaction score
I was thinking about changing color from original white to blue. It is a # matching car.
Does anyone think that changing the color will drop value of car?!?!

jays69bird

Reaction score
I went through this with my car,I wanted to paint it either B5 or B7,however my friends kept telling me to put it back original T3. To be honest I wish I just did what I wanted to do and paint the color I wanted.:cents:

chapdog105

Reaction score
I was thinking about changing color from original white to blue. It is a # matching car.
Does anyone think that changing the color will drop value of car?!?!

There are too many variables involved to determine whether or not it will drop the value.
If you plan on selling it, why go through all that?
If keeping it, I would say to paint it as you wish. Especially if keeping it for a long time.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ok to be honest I Like my blue cars but nothing shows better than a well preped white car

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nooooooooo! any color but blue!!!:jester:seriously, we put too much time,effort, and $$ in these cars, and you'll never get all the money back. build your car to make YOU happy.

dobie

Reaction score
nooooooooo! any color but blue!!!:jester:seriously, we put too much time,effort, and $$ in these cars, and you'll never get all the money back. build your car to make YOU happy.

Yeah, absolutely correct IMO. Unless your car is a Hemi car, or something else equally rare, you'll never get back all of your money. Make the car the way you want it and enjoy it.

CBR

Reaction score
I can't say too much since my car came B5, but I do agree with the others, build it the way you want it. In my case since my dad ordered it new, I have kept it as original as possible. The market doesn't care about that when it comes to price. What keeps the price up is the documentation. When the time comes to redo the car, I like the B5 and will keep it, however there will most likely be other significant changes to the stock powertrain!!
Enjoy the build and enjoy the car, that is what they are for!!

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
My 69 has a Earl Scheib paint job on it from the 80's which is now patina and flaking, they changed color from T5 to red. The first thing I did when I changed the 383 to a 440 was clean and paint the engine bay back to T5 in order to get ready for going back to original, personally it was a combination of what I wanted, and still having some originality to it. Everyone is right, no one will love your car as much as you do, make it what you want it to be. If being pure oem is the right thing to do then 99.9% of every road runner on the road now is a lie as a restoration is nothing more than a repop re do of what was once an original. once re done it can never ever be original again. For those who claim their car is original I would expect to see some faded or chipped paint discolored interior and road grime here and there, called a survivor. I have only seen one in the last 5 years a perfect 4 owner 69 GTX and it was beautiful.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I went through this with my car,I wanted to paint it either B5 or B7,however my friends kept telling me to put it back original T3. To be honest I wish I just did what I wanted to do and paint the color I wanted.:cents:

What's wrong with T3? I think it's awesome and looks great on your vert. Is it because you don't get much attention at shows or something? How many T3 RR's do yo see running down the road? I personally have not seen one ever so you sir have a very rare car in my opinion :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hemi or an A12...you should probably keep it the original color just because of their rarity and resultant resale value/potential. There's just not a lot of guys in the market for those cars that are looking for an "incorrect car".

That said, and especially if the resale value is not a primary concern regardless of the power plant, paint it any damned color you want. The title has YOUR name on it... :cheers:

jays69bird

Reaction score
What's wrong with T3? I think it's awesome and looks great on your vert. Is it because you don't get much attention at shows or something? How many T3 RR's do yo see running down the road? I personally have not seen one ever so you sir have a very rare car in my opinion :cheers:

There are two T3 verts on this board LOL. I understand where your coming from,and no it isn't because of car shows. It is just I have never been a huge gold on cars fan,seemed like in the 70's every other car was gold.I have owned my car 29 years and my favorite color is blue,the car is going to my son so it isn't a value thing with me.Guess it also has to do with my favorite all time car was my dad's 69 Charger and that was in B7. The T3 is a nice color but I guess since I have owned it so long I should have painted it to my taste.

Last edited:

paladin2511

Reaction score
We don't buy these cars with the intent to resell. In my case I bought my Roadrunner to remember an earlier, happier time in my life. That is worth far more than money. I got her with the intent to pass it down as one do with any other family heirloom. Paint with the color that makes you happy and get it out and drive it! Life too short to worry about others.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
exactly.no sons, and neither daughter has any interest, so I'll probably still be warm in the box when mine hits e bay, so I'm doing it to make the current owner happy.

Wildie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info I was just asking before i start on this roadrunner I really want a 69 Blue 440 4 speed , The 68 just came up 383 auto white I bought all the body parts with the car rear Quarters trunk pans truck lid and seat covers , Its been siting 20 years in a barn

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
so paint it blue. the 383 is as good as a 440. I had a 440 for over 20 years, and my 383 puts the same smile on my face. gather the partrs and make it a 4 speed, you'll be glad you did. Love to see more pics of the car.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
that is a CATCH 22---I bought a 1966 t-bird conv, The org-color was coral ext with a silver gut--I was 17y/o and wanted to restore the car back to factory the guy from the paint shop called my up and told me the car was coral and I thought to myself( white --brown )ha ,ha--I drove the car and I had a guy want the car because it was a 1of1 car(I wonder why?):puke: i painted my road runner convertible a4 platinum it looked ok-but I never saw another one! if you have a totally stock #matching car I would say yes it will!5-8% I would say! but you can get a another tag made ,maybe no-but are you selling the car or keeping it--going to drive it -if it was a hemi car I would say no or a low production 6 pack no kept it org, But they made lots of your style car enjoy it--some cars that are hemi orange,b5 blue are worth more than lets say green cars or brown cars-and sometimes up to 15%-I just bought a AAR cuda green F4 ext-F4 gut All # matching 4sp rally dash everything is there and it runs great 43000 miles same car ew1 orange you will pay 60.000 I looked for 30 years for one I got it for 40.000 8500 cash+other stuff mopar parts.

moparmonk

Reaction score
LOL Basketcase! I also agreed with all of the posters "make it what you want" posts. I was a bit let down about no "Paint it Green" speech though. Dave, if you are still warm and in the box as you say, I will watch for it on ebay. Would you get all warm and fuzzy if I mounted the Cragers to the box?

Back