• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Progress Pics

dobie

Reaction score
Took these today at the shop. Was not expecting them to pull the motor, but I suppose it's better that way.

dobie

Reaction score
What a shock to pull in and see the front end lifted!! But, it's progress though, right?

dobie

Reaction score
No, not really. He asked if it was either a rebuilt motor, or a low mileage one. According to him, everything looks good. Rings, cylinders, bores are all great as far as they can tell.

The motor was a low mileage one. We pulled it last year out of a '68 Newport. 55,000 original miles we thought, so it's apparently true.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sounds like good news on the engine. and the best part of it is you didn't have to pull it.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
sounds like good news on the engine. and the best part of it is you didn't have to pull it.
Well, that's true. Although, right now I'm hoping that it doesn't add a ton more money to the final bill.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hey where's that shop at, I'll stop by and pick up that big air cleaner and keep it safe for you.......... :cool:

dobie

Reaction score
I went with the Comp Cam XE274H. Split profile .488/.491 lift. This was Comp's recomendation based on my gearing, tranny, etc... Putting Jet Hot coated headers on too. Not to mention various other little things while she's in the shop.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
hey where's that shop at, I'll stop by and pick up that big air cleaner and keep it safe for you.......... :cool:

lol. Actually, I just bought a complete 383 set. I'll probably be putting up for sale my current set. It's a 1970-1972 383 set. The base I'm using now is from the '70-'72 set. The lid is just a cheapie fiberglass lid.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
Basketcase said:

lol. Actually, I just bought a complete 383 set. I'll probably be putting up for sale my current set. It's a 1970-1972 383 set. The base I'm using now is from the '70-'72 set. The lid is just a cheapie fiberglass lid.

let me know Steve.I just went back and looked at your pics, I'm interested.

dobie

Reaction score
Ok. I'll shoot ya an email within a few days. I won't do anything with it until I get my new set up, and I gotta get the car back first I suppose.

mcmopar

Reaction score
dobie said:
I went with the Comp Cam XE274H. Split profile .488/.491 lift. This was Comp's recomendation based on my gearing, tranny, etc... Putting Jet Hot coated headers on too. Not to mention various other little things while she's in the shop.

That's a nice cam. You should realy feel the difference - especially with the headers.

dobie

Reaction score
That's good to hear. I'm hoping for a big difference! The current motor is just an original 2 bbl 383, so while it's been a great motor, I can't help but feel slighted as I don't have a true RR motor with 335 bhp. I was lucky to be getting the factory rated 290 bhp from this one. The machine shop guy believes that this new set up should make an honest 350 bhp.

We'll see though.

:cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good Steve! :thumbsup:

So what are the plans for that 440 you were tinkering with? :popcorn:

:jester:
Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
dobie said:
That's good to hear. I'm hoping for a big difference! The current motor is just an original 2 bbl 383, so while it's been a great motor, I can't help but feel slighted as I don't have a true RR motor with 335 bhp. I was lucky to be getting the factory rated 290 bhp from this one. The machine shop guy believes that this new set up should make an honest 350 bhp.

We'll see though.

:cheers:

Don't forget to set up your timing for max. performance once you've got everything broken in and settled down. Mopar Performance recommends 36 degrees mechanical (vacuum advance plugged at both carb and distributor) at 2400 rpm as a basis to start with. Mine likes that setup but I have modded it a bit to try and cut down on ping since I'm running 10.5:1 + compression. After setting full mechanical I set the distributor dashpot (with a 3/3" allen wrench down the tube nipple) to the middle setting - 8 turns from fully closed (turn all the way left until you can't turn any further, then turn right 8 full turns) and hook up the vacuum line. Then, at normal warm idle, I kind of winged it - I backed off the advance (with vacuum line installed) just a little bit. This will require you to speed up the idle speed a bit to get it back to 900 rpm or so. I never really checked it but am curious to know where my timing is so I may just go visit a buddy of mine who has a dial back timing light so I can see where I really am on full mechanical at 2400 rpm.
Your setup will differ a bit from mine so maybe you won't need to do that last little bit of adjusting like I did since my compression is higher than yours (thanks to a previous owner) and my cam is a bit bigger, too. Timing varies according to setup but I would definitely set it at 36 degrees mechanical at 2400 rpm and explore from there. You WILL feel the difference, I assure you! When I set up my low compression 440 in my '71 Charger SE at 36 deg. @ 2400 rpm it picked up 0.5 seconds ET in the 1/4 mile with no other changes. Timing makes all the difference.

Back