• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Progress Pics

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Watch for COPS :lmao:[/quote][/quote]
With that in mind, if he can't find a place to play, WHO CAN? :devil:[/quote]
Funny story. Right before I took her to the shop, I wanted to catch some video of the "old" engine. I found a deserted parking lot to play in. Not 10 minutes later 3 city cars show up..........

:jester:[/quote]

and...................... :drive:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
hey dobie, ya might consider a hightorque starter if ya don't have one now. it took a couple of regular starters to go bad before i realized the headers were heat soaking the starters. i got mine from the salvage yard. anything from a 96 on up v-6 or v-8 will work just fine.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Hey, your torque converter is missing!

BTW, looks KILLER!
I noticed that but didn't want anyone to think I was a non-auto guy.......not that I don't like autos but I LOVE sticks......... :cool:

dobie

Reaction score
moparmoose3 said:
hey dobie, ya might consider a hightorque starter if ya don't have one now. it took a couple of regular starters to go bad before i realized the headers were heat soaking the starters. i got mine from the salvage yard. anything from a 96 on up v-6 or v-8 will work just fine.
I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thank you!

:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A torque converter is a patch of asphalt or concrete that take the power at the wheels and turns it into movement :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A torque converter is a patch of asphalt or concrete that take the power at the wheels and turns it into movement :D
Oh, is that it? I often wondered what the real definition of it was! :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
ACME A12 said:
Steve, once it's back in you'd better find a nice stretch of deserted road and practice your burnouts; there won't be any excuses for an, ahem, repeat performance... :lol:

:jester:
Ray

Hey, and what about the 440? - you must have missed my question in an earlier post...

Oh, don't worry..... I'll be practicing.........

Sorry. I must not have caught a question earlier. What was it?

IIRC you scrapped your plans to build the 440 and are using the 383; I asked what you planned to do with the 440... I thought you might do a slow (easier on the budget) build over the course of the next couple of years and still do the transplant - just curious...and nosey... :D

Ray

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Oh, is that it? I often wondered what the real definition of it was! :jester:

I had my '74 Duster out for most of the weekend - running erands, doing the Domestic Supervisor's Bidding, playing Bus Driver for the kids, chasing parts, etc... While I truly love that car, every time I get in it I always think about how much more fun it would be with a 4 or 5 speed...someday I will convert it... Autos just don't appeal to me so much...unless you're drag racing and trying to be consistent. THEN IT IS A DIFFERENT STORY. JMHO.

Ray

dobie

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
dobie said:
[quote="ACME A12":43q8629o]Steve, once it's back in you'd better find a nice stretch of deserted road and practice your burnouts; there won't be any excuses for an, ahem, repeat performance... :lol:

Ray

Hey, and what about the 440? - you must have missed my question in an earlier post...

Oh, don't worry..... I'll be practicing.........

Sorry. I must not have caught a question earlier. What was it?

IIRC you scrapped your plans to build the 440 and are using the 383; I asked what you planned to do with the 440... I thought you might do a slow (easier on the budget) build over the course of the next couple of years and still do the transplant - just curious...and nosey... :D

Ray[/quote:43q8629o]

Sorry about that. Yeah, for now the 440 would take too much $ to do right. That motor is shelved for now. I'll keep the motor tucked away in the garage though. Down the road I'd like to build it. Before that happens though I'll get the body/paint done. I have to say though that so far everyone local has suggested changing out the pistons in my 383 and upping that motor vs. building a 440. Seems as though all the old timers strongly recommend the 383 compared to a 440.

:huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
I have to say though that so far everyone local has suggested changing out the pistons in my 383 and upping that motor vs. building a 440. Seems as though all the old timers strongly recommend the 383 compared to a 440.

:huh:

Just depends on what you want it to do...383s are GREAT street engines..but if you're going racing, well, you know the old adage: There is NO substitute for Cubic Inches... :D

Ray

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had the 440 that was in Freebird(started out in my '68 Charger) since '86. Rebuilt it stock. All the power I needed. Used to scare myself every spring when I'd first take it out. I've had this car for alost three years. The 383 in it has all I need. And remember, unless you were born with a silver spoon and got wide valve covers or extra carbs, the 383 was what you got with a road runner.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I had the 440 that was in Freebird(started out in my '68 Charger) since '86. Rebuilt it stock. All the power I needed. Used to scare myself every spring when I'd first take it out. I've had this car for alost three years. The 383 in it has all I need. And remember, unless you were born with a silver spoon and got wide valve covers or extra carbs, the 383 was what you got with a road runner.

Very true, but I don't think that every 426 or 440+6 is tied to silver spoons; plenty of working stiffs like us bought those cars when they were new and there are a couple of us here who were somehow lucky enough to recently manage to get wide valve covers (but covered in cat piss) and extra carbs (but in the trunk) - however the respective starting points for each are pretty down to earth (what else can you call them when they're loaded with "patina"? :lol: )...and Big John bought his A12 long before they climbed into the stratosphere price-wise. Anyway, my humble point is there are no silver spoons here...and for what's it's worth I'd gladly buy back all of my previous 383 cars if that were somehow possible because I enjoyed the HELL out of them. :cheers:

ACME the "Patina-Laden" A12 :lmao:

dobie

Reaction score
I stopped by again today. The motor was dropped in, but a few things need finished up. They hoped to have her running by the end of the day. I may even get her home tomorrow!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That's really lookin' good there Steve. That last pic, looks like it's waiting for cutouts! Did you find that "practice spot," yet?

Back