• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D day- back where the Bird is stored on Thursday!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
:drive:

Have to tiddy up a few things but should be cruising by the weekend. Going to be around it for most of the summer. :drive: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Considering putting factory style tips back on it. Has some bent pipe turn downs at the bumper now. This car has been the best I have had about NOT pouring exhuast into the cabin. I'm afraid it will cause some weird backdraft deal and pull the crap inside. It sure would look sweet with them though. Considering an X pipe while I'm there as well. My exhaust guy is very reasonable on prices and is a true car guy- really makes it look nice.

dobie

Reaction score
Sounds good. Mine has turn downs right now, but I have a set of tips to put on once other things get done.

:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sounds better also, they engineered a trumpet into the tip! In 69 some of the cars had turned down exhaust some had tips, off hand I don't remember if it was a packaged deal or not!

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I looked over the oil line deal and decided I needed another 30 dollar 90 elbow to make it work w/o rubbing.

I noticed another pan on the shelf. A circle tack Milodon pan, trap doors, tucks super well. Took some work but it is on the car.

Soon :drive:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Todays mess includes the need for an adaptor to go from the 3/8 NPT on the fuel pump to 3/8 inverted flare for the line running up to the carb. I think what I need is being made, just have to find it local or have to wait. I risked rubber line to get things ironed out but no more.

Worked on the gauges some. Finding place to route water sender probe is bad since almost all the holes in the firewall are taken up. I see a way to make it work but it will require taking the hot wire from the battery in the trunk off the starter and snaking a gaggle of stuff through at the same time.

Dash lights are stumping me for now. I thought the dimmer switch was bad so I made a jumper and still no luck. :huh:
I have power at the wires there when I test them so?????

The dash lights used to work awesome years ago when it was parked. I noticed it is missing a few of the little pods for the lights to sit in, but I can't imagine them dissapearing while it was in hibernation. I'm not sure that matters anyway.

The tach lit up last night while I was driving, was the only gauge to show life , and not for long.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the simple summary for this thread is that these old cars just do not like being put into hibernation...they always come out with more little things wrong with them than they had when they were parked... :yesnod:

:jester:
ACME

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The tach now works, I have the correct touch up paint, hood is on. I ordered Passion tranny fluid today. The trans is getting almost unbearable to deal with.

I looked at putting the Schemaker(sp) torque strap on but it is a no go due to the bolts for the motor mount being pretty much FUBAR. So I left well enough alone on that. I think tommorrow I will go straight redneck with a chain to keep it tied down. I think I can make use of the bolt hole on the top of the head.

I might put the new mufler on tommorrow as well. I got to noticing that they are clamped only so I can just pop in a new one myself. I'm not sure when I will put the tips on. Might skip it this summer.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Yesterday was first "big" drive. Went 90 or more miles on the roundtrip, gave one joy ride while there.

Got flagged down on the road and thought it was a "cool car" comment so I Beep Beeped :beep: and waved. At the next light I was told no tailights :(

Firgured out it was because it had a 20 Amp fuse where it is clearly labled as needing a 30. :huh: Somebody must have needed to get home, could have even been me at one time.

Still fighting a strange trans problem, better with old school fluid than with the syn.

I couldn't find the wiper seals I thought I had so just ordered a new set.

Can't get the torque strap installed since a bolt is stripped about halfway to getting it off. Can't really get to it to cut it either with the engine in the car. It is the one the dipstick tube is held on by and that prevents the one I need out from being removed. :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Yesterday was first "big" drive. Went 90 or more miles on the roundtrip, gave one joy ride while there.

Got flagged down on the road and thought it was a "cool car" comment so I Beep Beeped :beep: and waved. At the next light I was told no tailights :(

Firgured out it was because it had a 20 Amp fuse where it is clearly labled as needing a 30. :huh: Somebody must have needed to get home, could have even been me at one time.

Still fighting a strange trans problem, better with old school fluid than with the syn.

I couldn't find the wiper seals I thought I had so just ordered a new set.

Can't get the torque strap installed since a bolt is stripped about halfway to getting it off. Can't really get to it to cut it either with the engine in the car. It is the one the dipstick tube is held on by and that prevents the one I need out from being removed. :brickwall:

Overall it dosen't like it was too bad a trip. How'd the engine run, and what's the tranny doing? In the end though it must have felt good to have it back on the road. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and sometimes the bugs and gremlins are all worth it with that run down the road.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Engine runs great.

Tranny makes a sqeak when it gets warmed up, driving an hour or so.
Those kind of sounds can be real hard to find. Could it be one of the mounts? Or did a mouse get in there some how? :jester:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Well, a buddy stopped by today and we determined that the freeplay I thought it had isn't there, as in none. So I may have roasted the TOB. :brickwall:

The other 4 gear car I had had trouble holding the adjustment, maybe this one is the same way. Just before I sold it I determined that it either needed to be JB Welded in place(leaving no future adjustments for wear but holding one that worked at the time) or maybe needed another nut put on and used as a jam nut. I wished the guy who bought it luck on the clutch adjustment. It worked great until it backed off, and it was a new adjuster setup. :crazy:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Found out that the overcenter spring is still in there, no wonder this thing won't adjust right.

Now I have to figure out how to get it out.

Peeled some tacky stickers off the windows. Installed new high beam.

Impressed some ten your old or so kid at a gas station.

John69RR

Reaction score
Found out that the overcenter spring is still in there, no wonder this thing won't adjust right.

I've heard of using washers in between the coils while the clutch pedal is depressed. Then carefully remove the spring. Maybe someone has done this before and can offer a little more insight.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:

Peeled some tacky stickers off the windows. Installed new high beam.

Impressed some ten your old or so kid at a gas station.
What kind of clutch are you running that you want the spring out?

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That ended up being quite the project.

The coils wouldn't spread apart at all really.

I felt all along them and decided it was Dremel tool time. Googles, glaves and leaned as far back as I could when it got close. Sounded like a small caliber gun shot.

Clutch works good now, returns and has play like it should.

Still will likely need a TOB :brickwall:

It is a diaphram clutch.

Back