• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash frame paint

mac

What ?
Reaction score
does anybody know the correct term for the kind of paint used on the dash frame? better yet does anyone know the paint code that could be used with todays paints?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
What color Mac :huh:I know its called a suede finish, the paint code would be in the body service manual which I don't have :leave:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
What color Mac :huh:I know its called a suede finish, the paint code would be in the body service manual which I don't have :leave:

just your basic black. i got myself into little project with a 1970 super bee and wanted to get it close. if i could get a quart that would be plenty. probably a pint would be plenty.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I did the dash on the other car, I used Krylon semi gloss black in a spray can. Turned out really nice, even considering who did it.

dodgem1

Reaction score
just did it,just went through all this rigamarole-painted mine krylon semi flat from wal mart ,it was too shiny,looked like crap,went back and bought the krylon flat,sprayed it heavy,last coat step back dry spray it and it looks perrrfect,beleive me on this one,im a perfectionist(REALLY ANAL)LOL :loco:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know you can always just squirt some black (in whatever paint system you prefer) and add some flattening agent to it. I painted the dash in the Swinger with DuPont Centari single stage 99a black with flattening agent a few years ago. Just took a few adds to get the level of flattness that I wanted.

I'm probably going to have to redo it actually. The wife wiped down the interior with some crap she bought somewhere - some armorall type product - and now the metal part of the dash shines like I hit it with some 2,000 grit and a buffer. Just not the way it is supposed to look... :loco:

Ray

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'd love to do the dash in powdercoat.

There's a guy on MoFarts that posts about powdercoating his dash everytime that comes up over there... But he never gives the "code" or number for the powder.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I asked AZ-A12-BEE if he knows the powder code because he had his done, but all he could tell me was where to get it done he didnt know the code. I will do some poking around.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but just want to check, it's suppose to be flat right? so some .99 cent flat black should come out close enough?

A31PKG

Reaction score
I used rattlecan black Organozol on my Super Bee and was very impressed with the results. Since then I've seen dashes done with the suede paint already mentioned, and I believe it is even closer to the factory texture. We have a craft store chain around here called Michael's that carrys it. The next dash I do will get the suede. If I remember correctly, it took three cans of Organozol to do my 'Bee.... I'm sure the suede would be about the same. This is the only close-up pic I have...

chapdog105

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I used rattlecan black Organozol on my Super Bee and was very impressed with the results. Since then I've seen dashes done with the suede paint already mentioned, and I believe it is even closer to the factory texture. We have a craft store chain around here called Michael's that carrys it. The next dash I do will get the suede. If I remember correctly, it took three cans of Organozol to do my 'Bee.... I'm sure the suede would be about the same. This is the only close-up pic I have...

Does Michael's carry the suede in a rattlecan too? That looks pretty good in the pic. I'll be cleaning up my dash and painting pretty soon too.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I did my dash frame a couple of years ago. I had a good PPG shop mix up a pint of lacquer from the old Ditzler paint code. They also can put it in a rattle can for about $20. It was a dead match to the old textured stuff. Now if I could just get the vinyl dye to match. They gave up and sent me home with 3 different pints of dark blue, silver, and green, and a empty quart can. :lol: I only need to do the bottom pad but, I got a feeling I'll be doing it all including the arm rests after I'm done trying to match it. (assuming summer ever happens)..........

A31PKG

Reaction score
quote]Does Michael's carry the suede in a rattlecan too? That looks pretty good in the pic. I'll be cleaning up my dash and painting pretty soon too.[/quote]

Yes, lots of flavors too.... I'm sure there are other craft stores that carry it as well... I can't remember the manufacturer... I don't think it was Krylon... I'll be up that way in a couple days and I'll run in and check...

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I have some flat black powders i can see about getting you codes if you want.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys I ended up spraying it with flat black turned out good I did spray over the original so I didn't need textured but I messed up on one spot and had to sand it down so there is a spot beside the radio that's smooth kind of annoying but oh well... Just glad to not have bare spots from the satellite dash panels..

Back