• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash light indicator (back up lights part 2)

Collin

Reaction score
Ok so I have the correct routing of the reverse light wire from bulk head to trans (thanks to you guys)

Up next I have to route and connect the wire coming from the interior "reverse" dash light indicator. The light is on the lower dash and has a wire with a female spade connector on it. Where does this connect? I assume it needs to be told when to light up by the trans module??

Collin

Reaction score
So this is the light with the female spade connector... This connects to the linkage? Not the fuse box?

image.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
That would be my guess, but I'm not 100% sure. Can't make heads nor tail of the wiring schematic.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the shifter it gets the signal from the revers switch on the transmission. I don't remember off hand where it plugs into but we can look into that

Collin

Reaction score
I have it marked as #7..... Not sure if it was correct originally....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It should connect to a black and white that runs to the bulk head connector. Pull up the wire diagram in the reference section.

Last edited:

Collin

Reaction score
This is where I am confused... Wiring diagram shows the backup lamp attaching to the fuse panel and sharing a fuse with the radio

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The red wire you are looking at goes to the radio which joins a white wire at the radio plug. The white wire goes to the bulkhead D and changes to violet down to the trans switch. the black white off the other side of the switch goes to bulkhead C and Z, Z goes to your reverse light and C changes to violet to the rear bumper lights

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score
When I get back to NY I will have to look at mine, but Bob is correct there is a Ball switch that threads into the tranny on the 4 speed,not a switch on the linkage.

Collin

Reaction score
I have the wire connected to the trans switch that routes to the bulk head. The interior reverse indicator on the dash just has a wire that comes off of it... Trying to locate where that goes

mac

What ?
Reaction score
on the inside of the car, the black with white tracer wire continues from terminal "Z" directly to the reverse indicator light. there is a short purple ground wire that screws to the dash frame from the light.

Ranger

Reaction score
When I get back to NY I will have to look at mine, but Bob is correct there is a Ball switch that threads into the tranny on the 4 speed,not a switch on the linkage.
I stand corrected. I guess I used the term "linkage" a little loosely. I guess I meant that it was activated by the linkage.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Collin look for the wiring diagram that has the bulkhead on it to see where Z is

Collin

Reaction score
Here's those diagrams if anyone else needs them

image.jpg

image.jpg

Collin

Reaction score
I really have to take pics to figure this out. So the light has one long purple wire with a female spade connection on it... I'll have to see what's in the Z location on the bulkhead now. I'll also have to look if it grounds anywhere like Mac said... No telling if this was after market or not

Back