• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decided to upgrade..440

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing sweeter for a car guy than the prospect of putting a new engine together... :cheers:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Well turns out the crank is backwards. So I need to ether find another one, buy a new one or build a stroker... Oh what to do... :huh:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i vote......stroker :thumbsup:
haha I kinda told myself if it wasn't going to work I would go with a stroker but I'm kind of hesitant on spending two grand but then again it isn't much more than where I'm at now... finding another crank that needs machined, new forged pistons... Which brand would you go? and would you recommend the 505ci, more or less? :drive:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
george68hemirr said:
i vote......stroker :thumbsup:
haha I kinda told myself if it wasn't going to work I would go with a stroker but I'm kind of hesitant on spending two grand but then again it isn't much more than where I'm at now... finding another crank that needs machined, new forged pistons... Which brand would you go? and would you recommend the 505ci, more or less? :drive:
CHECK THESE GUYS OUT

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm

dutchrunner

Reaction score
I vote >505cui.

I think you guys always say : No replacement for displacement?
Live is always about stepping up to bigger challenges.

There are a lot of strocker kits on the market.
Just decide what you want (race only or street/strip) and get the correct(read cheap) kit.
Also think about the heads/flow and matcking cam while you are still in build-up fase.

My step-ups came 200hp at a time. 383B-528RB-572Hemi.

Just imagine the next step-up :huh:

Good luck . This is the best time of the whole build.

ALX69RR440

Reaction score
I used to work for SCAT out of Redondo Beach CA in the early 90’s and we used to make a quality product back then. I’ve been out of it for many years so I don’t know if they are still good but you might want to look into it

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have checked 440source and they were actually the brand I had originally planned on going with but I thought there may be better options.
If I go with a stroker I'll probably just clean my 906 heads up and save up for a nice set of aluminums. It will be a street/strip build and I care more about bottom end TQ than HP if that matters. I just read a handful of articles online using a 505ci and the numbers were more than enough.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Wow times been flying by, midterms already coming up. Anyways I just thought I would post a little update. Talked to my machinist awhile ago and he suggest I find another block, he said he doesn't think anything is wrong with the block if I wanna use it but if it were him he'd find another block to dump the money into instead of this one, plus the price of a new crank is more then a complete engine.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ok....he doesn't think anything is wrong with the block you have....but you need to find another one :huh:

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Well... He said it would be cheaper to get another engine instead of buying a new crank. He also said it would be better because a new crank might not be as smooth as a block and crank that have been mated together.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Well... He said it would be cheaper to get another engine instead of buying a new crank. He also said it would be better because a new crank might not be as smooth as a block and crank that have been mated together.
:loco: :bs: Get a different engine guy now! I don't care if he is talking about your 383 and you do upgrade to a 440, I wouldn't let him touch it, if that's what he said.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
MuscleCar91 said:
:loco: :bs: Get a different engine guy now!
:yeathat: Run Forrest, Run!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm not as engine smart as these guys, but that didn't sound right even to me.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Wow times been flying by, midterms already coming up. Anyways I just thought I would post a little update. Talked to my machinist awhile ago and he suggest I find another block, he said he doesn't think anything is wrong with the block if I wanna use it but if it were him he'd find another block to dump the money into instead of this one, plus the price of a new crank is more then a complete engine.
i guy is a jerkoff.....get another engine guy

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
This guy is a master machinist and has a long history of being the best around. I understand what you guys are saying but you don't know the full story.
The thing is this was a marine reverse rotating engine, he said it looks like it would clean up at .030 over but is worried about how much has rusted away inside. He knows I'm on a budget and said he'd hate to clean it and magnaflux it/sonic check or whatever it was that checks the block to find out it doesn't have enough meat. Putting me out the cost of his work and having to buy another block anyways. There is also a need for another crank, I can't remember if I told him about grinding the teeth down but he suggested another crank and said there is always a chance that the engine won't like spinning opposite of what it was used to "funny things like that happen" and even if it doesn't mind spinning the other way it would still cost money and is a risk. Which is another reason why buying a passenger car engine would be more cost efficient in his opinion. Anyways, I happened to find a 440 online that was just rebuilt and has only been dyno tested/broken in. So if it sounds good I won't even need to mess with a machinist...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
just make sure there is paperwork to back up the rebuild!

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
just make sure there is paperwork to back up the rebuild!
Thanks, that is the only way I will buy it. I got lucky with my rebuilt 383 and took someones word but I wouldn't do that again. Btw he said it's got a new 750 double pumper on it, isn't that a bit on the small side for a 440?

Back