• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc brake truth

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
OK, I have heard if you want change to front disc brakes on a 69 Roadrunner with 11 inch drums all the kits require you to change the spindles. What is the truth? Are there kits that do not require a spindle change? Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So quikbird what holds the caliper. You change the spindle so you have the mounting bracket to hold the caliper for the disc. brake that is what I am seeing. Looking to change mine out in the next year. Yes looking into summit's kit's and other's. Say Terry see that it is in the area of 400 dollars to 800 depending on what company you go with. So let me know what you go with. Also read that the line bracket has some issues going from hard line to soft line. Something to look into.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
So quikbird what holds the caliper. You change the spindle so you have the mounting bracket to hold the caliper for the disc. brake that is what I am seeing. Looking to change mine out in the next year. Yes looking into summit's kit's and other's. Say Terry see that it is in the area of 400 dollars to 800 depending on what company you go with. So let me know what you go with. Also read that the line bracket has some issues going from hard line to soft line. Something to look into.
Quickbird used Stainless Steel Brakes and someone else said Leed Brakes. Both kits no spindle change needed for the 10 or 11 inch drums. I think the mounting bracket goes on the spindle where the back plate for the shoes went.
All sets between $800 and $1200.

quikbird

Reaction score
Kit includes all brackets etc and bolts on pretty easily. I did both front and rear and the front kit came with a new master cylinder

quikbird

Reaction score
Kit I used from stainless steel used the drum brake spindle. Has been on the car about 10 years or so with no issues

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I haven't installed mine yet. Working on the engine first. I did match up an old set of drum hub bearings to the disc ones SSB sent me and they match up exactly. That's the only spindle issue I can imagine, and I don't see a problem.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Finally got it done. Bolted right on, no spindle change needed. There was an issue with the caliper mounting plate. I had to drill the two lower 5/8 holes where the bracket mounts to the spindle and lower ball joint. Overall easy install.

Disc.jpg

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Kit I used from stainless steel used the drum brake spindle. Has been on the car about 10 years or so with no issues
I think it was you that asked me to let you know how the installation went. It wasn't bad. I had to drill the 5/8 holes at the bottom of the caliper brackets but all in all it was what they said and it bolted right on. The tech line answered all my questions too.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I got it all done and driving. Man, that makes a big difference. I really like the disc brakes. I recommend doing this on any classic. Well worth the cost and effort.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
My car stops a lot smoother than with the drum brakes up front. I agree best thing you can do. Still running drum on the back.

Back