• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

]Distributor Vacuum Advance

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Distributor Vacuum Advance
Do you really need a vacuum advance on your distributor? Many high performance distributors do not incorporate vacuum advance and so many people think it is not necessary for a good ignition system. There are a handful of applications where vacuum advance is not a great benefit:

Pure racing engines
Severe duty very large trucks
Constant speed and load applications (airplanes, generators, pumps)
Other than above, for normal automotive applications the vacuum advance will benefit the engine as follows.

Improved idle cooling
Improved idle quality
Improved fuel economy
Improved throttle response
Improved drivability
Enables improved spark knock control under full throttle accelerations
Enables leaner fuel jetting at light load to further improve fuel economy.
The basic reason for all these improvements is that the vacuum advance mechanism allows the distributor to supply a more optimum spark timing proportional to the load and speed output. Without the vacuum advance the distributor can only vary spark timing in proportion to speed and ignores its need for approximately 20 additional degrees of spark timing ("advance") at light loads: (idle and cruise conditions)
The basic reason for the change in optimum timing at light loads is that when operating at light loads, the mixture is leaner for fuel economy and less dense because of light load. These conditions cause the charge to burn slower, and thus, to reach peak pressure at optimum point in the cycle, the spark must be initiated earlier. Failure to do this will result in "retarded" spark timing and all the aforementioned losses.
All engines are different, and have different spark timing requirements, but they are all the same in that as load is decreased, additional spark timing is required for optimum combustion.
You should: make sure your distributor has a vacuum spark system and experiment to find out what your engine "likes" for timing at idle, light load, and heavy load. Then change the vacuum can to achieve a result closer to the optimum.

zupanj

Reaction score
George,

Do you have vacuum advance on your Road Runner? The first thing every tuner I've seen do is to plug the vacuum advance hose.

Jack

george68hemirr

Reaction score
zupanj said:
George,

Do you have vacuum advance on your Road Runner? The first thing every tuner I've seen do is to plug the vacuum advance hose.

Jack

no jack i dont....but for a street car it is recommended plus i have no ports in my tunnelram or carbs for that....i would have to drill and tap something......i am thinking about doing it though after reading that

Roadcuda

Reaction score
At the end of the driving season I finally got mine working properly, but it will be next spring before I know how much it will help that stated improved list. Especially the cooling and economy part! But on my Barracuda I do have a noticeable surging while holding a steady speed. I've been told that could be caused by a working vacuum advance! Does that sound possible?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I take the vacuum advance off everything i own. I hate em. :cents:

I'm with you Chris. They're okay for bone-a$$ed stockers, but for anything that I've ever wanted to really plant my a$$ back into the seat I've found I'm better off to dial in the centrifugal advance curve concentrating on total advance at whatever the predetermined peak RPM is for that particular engine's set-up, capabilities, and intended purpose... Been looking at those MSDs that let you just dial in the desired advance curve...looks sweet...and would be nice to have on a couple of my pieces of junk... :cents:

:jester:
ACME

V269

Reaction score
I dont have one on my runner either. I have a mopar performance electronic conversion kit in it. I did not hook up the advance ever. Just did a little trick by drilling a small hole in the side of the distributor and put a self tap screw in there so that it would bump up against the advance plate and when I wound up the rpm to 3000 and held it there I could turn in the screw and move the plate until I got 38 deg total advance. Then I just siliconed the head of the screw so it would not move. Works slick. :thumbsup: I used to race an 11 sec Plymouth Scamp with a 383 in it and a friend of mine showed me this trick a long time ago. :beep:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
At the end of the driving season I finally got mine working properly, but it will be next spring before I know how much it will help that stated improved list. Especially the cooling and economy part! But on my Barracuda I do have a noticeable surging while holding a steady speed. I've been told that could be caused by a working vacuum advance! Does that sound possible?

it dont sound like the vacuum advance to me...possible intake gasket leaking

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
I take the vacuum advance off everything i own. I hate em. :cents:

I'm with you Chris. They're okay for bone-a$$ed stockers, but for anything that I've ever wanted to really plant my a$$ back into the seat I've found I'm better off to dial in the centrifugal advance curve concentrating on total advance at whatever the predetermined peak RPM is for that particular engine's set-up, capabilities, and intended purpose... Been looking at those MSDs that let you just dial in the desired advance curve...looks sweet...and would be nice to have on a couple of my pieces of junk... :cents:

ACME
One of my favorite things to do is just lock out the advance all together. Every car that i have done this to has been way better to drive and faster at the track. I have been eyeballin the MSd digital stuff for the turbo dart. We will see. I have yet to try it on a stick though. Hmmm, well I have that duster. I am going to have to try it now!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken King said:
I dont have one on my runner either. I have a mopar performance electronic conversion kit in it. I did not hook up the advance ever. Just did a little trick by drilling a small hole in the side of the distributor and put a self tap screw in there so that it would bump up against the advance plate and when I wound up the rpm to 3000 and held it there I could turn in the screw and move the plate until I got 38 deg total advance. Then I just siliconed the head of the screw so it would not move. Works slick. :thumbsup: I used to race an 11 sec Plymouth Scamp with a 383 in it and a friend of mine showed me this trick a long time ago. :beep:

Racers have always come up with the coolest tricks ever. Any pictures of the Scamp?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Roadcuda said:

it dont sound like the vacuum advance to me...possible intake gasket leaking
Thanks George, I'll check that out, when it warms up, in the spring!!

V269

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Ken King":3p4gucau]I dont have one on my runner either. I have a mopar performance electronic conversion kit in it. I did not hook up the advance ever. Just did a little trick by drilling a small hole in the side of the distributor and put a self tap screw in there so that it would bump up against the advance plate and when I wound up the rpm to 3000 and held it there I could turn in the screw and move the plate until I got 38 deg total advance. Then I just siliconed the head of the screw so it would not move. Works slick. :thumbsup: I used to race an 11 sec Plymouth Scamp with a 383 in it and a friend of mine showed me this trick a long time ago. :beep:

Racers have always come up with the coolest tricks ever. Any pictures of the Scamp?[/quote:3p4gucau]

Yes I have pics of the scamp. I'll try to find them. Will have to probably scan them and then get it on here somehow. I'll see what I can do. :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
th_SCAN0001.jpg

Hopefully this is going to work. This is the Scamp I used to own. It had a 440 in it in this picture and was owned by a friend of mine. I then bought it from him and put a 383 in it and raced it. It was a very cool little bundle of dynamite. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Ken King said:
th_SCAN0001.jpg

Hopefully this is going to work. This is the Scamp I used to own. It had a 440 in it in this picture and was owned by a friend of mine. I then bought it from him and put a 383 in it and raced it. It was a very cool little bundle of dynamite. :thumbsup:

ken....it looks like it flies just sitting there :drool:

V269

Reaction score
Yes it did fly George. I wish I had it back. It had a nasty little 383 I built in it. I seen it sitting in front of a barn a couple of years ago but have not seen it since. I like to get that motor back. :brickwall:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Ken King said:
th_SCAN0001.jpg

X2!!! :thumbsup:

What is that, a '73?

ACME

V269

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
[quote="Ken King":1uj3zlvt]th_SCAN0001.jpg

X2!!! :thumbsup:

What is that, a '73?

ACME[/quote:1uj3zlvt]
Yes it is Ray. Good eye. :thumbsup:

Back