• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do your states allow vintage year of manufacture plates ?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Arizona does but in 69 they were yellow, and as you can tell on this site blue and yellow do not mix well :lmao:

CWR

Reaction score
In Ontario Canada we can use '69 plates(blue with white numbers/letters). But we have to go through an approval process to make sure they are deactivated..........I'm trying to decide if the '69 plate or a personized plate

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Ct. allows them. I have them on both of my cars. Here it's a fairly easy process. You're supposed to have plates that would have been issued in the same year of the car. My Barracuda is close to that, but the Roadrunners plates aren't close, that plate number was issued back in the late 30s, so there is some leeway in what you can use. All you have to do is take the plates you want to use to the DMV and fill out the correct form. They will check the plate number with their computer records and if there are no problem you're good to go. CT requires you to keep a current, (paid,) registration with those originally issued plates, in the car at all times. The YOM plates are shown in place of the orginals and the form you filled out, then stamped by DMV, is always kept in the car. There are no additional fees to do this. :thumbsup: Don't know how that happened!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
Ohio allows it. I have 68 plates on mine.

:cheers:

yup. I've got '69 plates on mine. You haft send for Historical Plates as well. When they come, they go in the trunk, and you have the year plate registered.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK in Flor-i-duh too. I have bought several of them but have yet to go through the process to use them. You have to send them to Tallahassee for inspection (useable condition) and I just haven't followed through yet..

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
So Tallahassee is the home of the plate inspectors :lol: You can't just go to a motor vehicle dept office :loco:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
So Tallahassee is the home of the plate inspectors :lol: You can't just go to a motor vehicle dept office :loco:
we in missouri just need to send in a picture of the plate with the registation fee
one time fee and its your plate for life . No more yearly registation (renewal) fees expect property taxes of course .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
You can do it in New York State also.

I've thought about it, but never really had a huge desire to do it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
we in missouri just need to send in a picture of the plate with the registation fee
one time fee and its your plate for life . No more yearly registation (renewal) fees expect property taxes of course .
Speaking of taxes, how are you guy assessed on your cars. Ct has a flat $500.00 assessment on all antique cars over 20 years old. What I actually pay depends on the mill rate. They are trying to change it for some of the cars, such as custom hot rods, so that each town can determine on their own what a car is worth. It hasn't gone too far yet though, and even if it does it won't cars like mine.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Speaking of taxes, how are you guy assessed on your cars. Ct has a flat $500.00 assessment on all antique cars over 20 years old. What I actually pay depends on the mill rate. They are trying to change it for some of the cars, such as custom hot rods, so that each town can determine on their own what a car is worth. It hasn't gone too far yet though, and even if it does it won't cars like mine.
When new they tax it at the regular state level and it drops 15% a year until it hits 10 bucks. So all of my old stuff is 10 bucks a year

Big John

Reaction score
At least we don't have any property or assement taxes on cars. Of course... everytime the car changes hands we pay sales tax (8% here).

But then again... we have sales tax on almost everything, personal income tax and taxes on just about everything else now including stuff you buy off the internet. They wanted to tax non diet soda and they have increased the beer tax and are even going to tax the beer and wine in inventory that have already been taxed once before!

They even just changed some rules RETROACTIVELY about some income tax credit that I claimed because of my business.... So I'm not done paying income tax. :stab:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm not really paying more then $15 for each of the cars, so I good there. As for all of these taxes, It's getting to the point where I want say to these people that we, elected, and I think they've forgotten who put them there, why don't you just take our pay checks and give us back what you think we can get buy on. It just seems that all they want to do is tax us on everything they can. And I'm beginning to think that they are almost there. sorry rant off!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Correct. Got to send them in for some state-annointed idiot to look at... :lol:

Why do you think I wrote "Flor-i-duh" in the first place...? We can't be trusted with voting machines; what makes you think we can handle 40 year old license plates...???!!!:D

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
At least we don't have any property or assement taxes on cars. Of course... everytime the car changes hands we pay sales tax (8% here).

Same here, but 7%...

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Correct. Got to send them in for some state-annointed idiot to look at... :lol:

Why do you think I wrote "Flor-i-duh" in the first place...? We can't be trusted with voting machines; what makes you think we can handle 40 year old license plates...???!!!:D

:jester:

I bought a Hemi GTX in Tallahassee years ago. Nice place.

Back