• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this sound legit?

Bowtie Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome MoparDan. Obviously I won't be posting much here, but had to share this when I found this same deal was going on earlier this year. Makes me wonder how many people actually fall these scams. Nice to hear that you guys have a couple of Chevy guys hiding in the closet.

Bowtie Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome MoparDan. Obviously I won't be posting much here, but had to share this when I found this same deal was going on earlier this year. Makes me wonder how many people actually fall these scams. Nice to hear that you guys have a couple of Chevy guys hiding in the closet.
And here was part of my reply towards the end of my email back to "him" ??? My other questions about the car itself I won't bother posting, since I'm sure it doesn't exist anyway, or at least being for sale. At this point I'm playing along. If I get a reply, I'll drop it here for fun...

As far as your payment plan, I prefer to use Paypal myself. It protects me, and you at the same time. I'm not too keen on handing over a check to some unknown shipping company. What's the name of the shipping company ? You must have a contact person there, maybe I could work with whoever that is regarding pics and such. And another question, what about the title ? How are you going to sign it and date it if this sale goes down if you're in Kuwait ? I highly doubt that any DMV location would accept any faxed or emailed pdf document. I'm sure they want the original, with signatures on them.

Sorry, but I have a lot of questions, some of which went unanswered from my first email to you.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Tell him you have a friend that lives in the UP and would be willing to come and check out the car. The reactions you will get will be hilarious.

Bowtie Guy

Reaction score
Tell him you have a friend that lives in the UP and would be willing to come and check out the car. The reactions you will get will be hilarious.
If I get a reply, I could go that way or I'll let him know that I can come and check it out myself, considering I'm in WI. Yes, it definitely would be worth the laugh if I get a reply. He might know I'm onto his game with my last reply though, so I'm sort of doubting I'll hear from him again.

MoparDan

Reaction score
If I get a reply, I could go that way or I'll let him know that I can come and check it out myself, considering I'm in WI. Yes, it definitely would be worth the laugh if I get a reply. He might know I'm onto his game with my last reply though, so I'm sort of doubting I'll hear from him again.
Wisconsin? I was born and raised in Appleton

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Thanks for posting and welcome. I hope that scammer gets what's coming to him. I know it's not a Chevy site, but there are a lot of great folks here. Hope you check in every once in a while. I'm a big fan of Chevy's. My first car was a 72 Chevelle. Always wanted a Runner, so I bought one. I just love cars. They all have something to offer.

Bird Man Of AZ

Reaction score
Yep, I received a near identical email back when I was shopping for a '72 Bird. Same BS about currently being deployed in the middle East and the very same instructions for an escrow-based purchase. Obviously a scam so I laughed it off, but still wondered how many others might've been lured into this fraudulent scheme.

cosgig

Reaction score
You should stick around here for awhile, you seem like good people. I like your style!

41dodge

Reaction score
Those scammers deserve the guillotine shown on TV in my opinion. I've been hit twice but fortunately not that big. That Newport is so bitchin, I love it.

In 1965, I was 17 and already heavy into drag racing at Lions Raceway and some street racing. Our auto shop class built a rear-engine flathead dragster as a class project. I had some back issues due to be hit by a truck 3 years earlier and my chiropractor, Doc B and I often talked about fast cars. The next thing I knew, he went and bought a matching pair of 1956 Chrysler 300b cars that Chrysler had built in 64 to run at the Salt Flats and set some records. Both cars were 4-speeds. He paid what I thought was the outrageous price of almost $30,000 for the cars to be delivered to him in Placentia, CA. from a collector in Detroit. They had Salt Flat decals and documentation. One had run 154 and the other 148. Both were bright red with the 355 HP 354 ci. Hemi though we believed the faster one had a different cam by the way it idled. Doc B had fun racing a few guys on the street but when a Corvette beat him, he took the faster car to Keith Black and had them put in a 392 block that was bored and stroked to 426 ci. and bult to kick ass. He liked it so much he decided to take his other car to Keith and had him put in a second gen 426 Hemi that was built for the street, with a late model hemi trans, tubular K-member and control arms, rack and pinion steering Dana rear end and triangulated 4-link. That big old boat hauled ass. He was stopped by the California Highway Patrol late one afternoon for speeding going to Las Vegas and told the officer, "If I had known you were chasing me, I should have punched it and left you." The officer said, "Do you really think you can outrun me?" Old Doc said, "Sure!" The CHP officer said, "OK, let's see. If you can outrun me, I'll tear up this ticket, deal?" Doc smiled and shook his hand. They took off and the officer just saw doc's taillights getting further and further away until he disappeared. Doc loved telling that story. He never would race me when I got my 68 Roadrunner built up though. I had taken my father for a ride in it and scared the shit out of him and he had told Old Doc about it.

Back