• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does your Runner have a name?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, let me bore you guys with one more...

So my B5 '70 Duster 340 is named Sally. After the Robert Palmer song "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley". When my buddy & I were doing the body work on the car we worked on it in his backyard - except for the stuff that required more serious body shop equipment in which case we would load her on the trailer and take her up to my stepdad's shop. We had to use the alley behind his house to get in and out. Every time that we were moving the car (which was somewhat frequently) my buddy would start humming and or singing that tune as we drove through the alley. Eventually, it just stuck...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well the last one was Free Bird, because I traded an engine and trans from a '67 Charger, that a buddy had given me, to another buddy for the body of Free Bird.
Haven't thought about naming this one yet.

John69RR

Reaction score
I've never thought about a name. A few guys from work ask if I've had either "The Canary" or "Ole Yeller" out recently. Over the course of almost 20 years of the same car, it has caused me to call it a few unmentionable names. None of which ever stuck though.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hemibeep said: You just reminded me, how many words have been used when your head found the hood latch.

That's a better question Bob. Let's just say it's a good thing there is no one else around here when I'm working under the hood and didn't have the pipe insulation covering the latch. I'm sure I've used every word in the book, and can still feel every scar on my head from it. As far as a name for the car goes, I often just call it "my bird" or "the bird."

mcmopar

Reaction score
mac said:
this car doesn't have a name yet. my first road runner, i called it "the beast" :leave:

Yup - that's usually what I call mine. Or simply "the runner."

bigcountry

Reaction score
Well.....My wife always asks me why I can't buy something already completed, restored, finished, etc. She has labeled me a "Turd Polisher". She says everything I buy is a big pile of sh*t and all I do is polish turds(take something old and junky and put a shine on it and pretend it's new). So, in keeping with my profile, I purchased a poor neglected Road Runner nobody else wanted to restore. So I get "Great, another piece of sh*t." So I decided to call my new project the "Sh*t Bird". (another reason to keep the bronze paint) :banana: :drive:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
bigcountry said:
Well.....My wife always asks me why I can't buy something already completed, restored, finished, etc. She has labeled me a "Turd Polisher". She says everything I buy is a big pile of sh*t and all I do is polish turds(take something old and junky and put a shine on it and pretend it's new). So, in keeping with my profile, I purchased a poor neglected Road Runner nobody else wanted to restore. So I get "Great, another piece of sh*t." So I decided to call my new project the "Sh*t Bird". (another reason to keep the bronze paint) :banana: :drive:

Oh, I can so relate to this... :lol:

When my son & I came rolling in with Bambi on the trailer after a four day trip out to Tejas to retrieve her, my wife strolled out to give her the once-over. As we were unstrapping Bambi from the trailer Tammy casually walked around the car a couple of times and then announced her verdict: "Well, this is certainly the most expensive piece of sh*t that you've ever dragged home." All I could do was laugh; she was absolutely right... :D

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
bigcountry said:
Thats a funny story :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I drug Free Bird home, my Wife was fine with it. My oldest daughter(TTOOS) gave me all kind of crap over it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John69RR said:
I've never thought about a name. A few guys from work ask if I've had either "The Canary" or "Ole Yeller" out recently. Over the course of almost 20 years of the same car, it has caused me to call it a few unmentionable names. None of which ever stuck though.
The school bus would be ok if you had lots of kids:D Better yet but long, Screamin yellow zonker

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
well the last one was Free Bird, because I traded an engine and trans from a '67 Charger, that a buddy had given me, to another buddy for the body of Free Bird.
Haven't thought about naming this one yet.

Now that makes perfect sense...goes back to what I was saying about a story related to the car. I always assumed it was related to the feeling of freedom that the car provided, or that you were a HUGE Lynard Skynard fan.... :D

Ray

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well it was intended because the body was free. But when I took it to the '05 Nats, I had a total blast just driving there and back. So the feeling of freedom was there. I had no worries.

roadrunner4life

Reaction score
Bought my car in 1973 and through the gas crunch back then my wife called it 'gas hog' My son has always called it "Will" think it has something to do when I leave this earth. my daughter always called it "Daddys Obsession" .....I just refer to as Mean Green or the The Chicken

69rrvert

Reaction score
I never named the car, but I had some friends in hgh school that called it the "Road Buzzard". Thanks - 69rrvert

droptop

Reaction score
We named the '75 Puddles. When we got her, she leaked every kind of fluid that she had in her. Now that all is fixed, we just call her Goldie. The '80 is just called Red. And of course the '69 is Droptop.

We brought this thread back to life. From Mar to Aug without any replies. Someone was up early this morning. :lol:

jays69bird

Reaction score
No regular nickname,I've called it the bird or sometimes the roadbeast,a guy I went to school with called it the runner of roads :D

Collin

Reaction score
Mine started as everyone elses as RR.......Just to save time typing, then I cant name it christine because thats my girlfriends name (its ok, her dads a mopar collector...)...Decided I needed a name that started with R, named her after my favorite beach boys song...Rhonda. Not a glorious or badass name, but Help me Rhonda is a good fit for a project car......"Rhonda you look so fine, and I know it wouldnt take much time, you gotta help me rhonda, help me beat all the rice burners and mustangs...." hmmm....little different than brian wilson may have written it...

moparmoose3

Reaction score
mines known as miss rachel. after my first girlfriend. she could be a real sweetheart at times or the most vial evil *itch from he**. :drive: :banana:

Back