• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't be a fool, get the H1N1 shot

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Don't fall for the trap of the stupid. Let them pass it up- better for you.

Lots of misinformation going around, don't get swept up in it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I don't think the shot is for everyone. There are risks for some, especially using the live virus nasal spray that is the first to arrive on the scene. As with everything lately, both sides seem to be blowing a lot of thngs out of proportion and using the "facts" to prove their case one way or another.

IMHO, the swine flu is much ado about nothing. We've gone through these scares before and we'll go through them again. That doesn't mean it can't and won't happen... Just that its been blown out of proportion by the media. That said, the dangers of the vaccine have also been overplayed.

While I'm not getting the shot for a number of reasons, my decision is based on my own medical history and the facts as I understand them. IMHO, its best to consult your doctor before making the decison one way or another.

mcmopar

Reaction score
My wife and I had "the flu" back in Jan-Feb of '81 and it was murder. Of course, it was a different strain than H1N1 but it knocked us both on our butts for about 2 weeks. I've never been as sick since then.
That being said, I've never taken a flu shot and don't plan on taking this one unless my doc highly recommends it. I think Big is right - the media whips everyone into a frenzy and then momentum takes over from there. If you are at risk due to poor health, age, etc. by all means talk to your doc and get the shot if you feel you need it. As for me and my wife (she's an RN BTW) we'll pass on this one for now.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its just the flu. I remember back when Jerold Ford was president and we had "Swine flu hype". That was the one and only flu shot I have ever got, and sure as shit I got sick the next day. :toetap:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I posted this after I saw how much misinformation is going around on Moparts. Some REALLY stupid stuff.

This isn't the same shot as they gave in 76. Not even close.

When you see people loaded up in the hospital like my wife does every day, then you get a new appreciation for what is going on. Young healthy people are DYING from this. Media hype my ass.

Everyone that opts out is just one less I have to compete with to get a shot. So I do appreciate it!

Skidz

Reaction score
About 36,000 people in the U.S. die of from the flu every year. Is the H1N1 significently worse than that?

Jim S.

Reaction score
I was in the military in 1976. "You will report to the church for the swine flu shot". Base commander orders at Luke AFB. I got sick as a dog for 3 days along with everyone else. I hope vaccine tech has improved since then. My grandson who lives with us has Asthma, so I'm freaked out about that. Also wish this new shot could have had more time for testing. probably have to cross my fingers and get him one unless he catches H1N1 first. Lot of kids at his school out sick......

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Skidz said:
About 36,000 people in the U.S. die of from the flu every year. Is the H1N1 significently worse than that?

Without a doubt.

I'm not sure about your number but the actual number isn't the issue here. The people that normally die from the flu are elderly and/or immuno compromised- in general.

The H1N1 is killing people that were otherwise healthy adults, young people especially.

So things that might be a fact, are being twisted around and fooling people.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
My wife and I had "the flu" back in Jan-Feb of '81 and it was murder. Of course, it was a different strain than H1N1 but it knocked us both on our butts for about 2 weeks. I've never been as sick since then.
That being said, I've never taken a flu shot and don't plan on taking this one unless my doc highly recommends it. I think Big is right - the media whips everyone into a frenzy and then momentum takes over from there. If you are at risk due to poor health, age, etc. by all means talk to your doc and get the shot if you feel you need it. As for me and my wife (she's an RN BTW) we'll pass on this one for now.

That is the problem- this isn't "just the flu". YOU CAN BE IN PERFECT HEALTH AND DIE FROM THIS. It isn't just limited to those in high risk categories.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I was in the military in 1976. "You will report to the church for the swine flu shot". Base commander orders at Luke AFB. I got sick as a dog for 3 days along with everyone else. I hope vaccine tech has improved since then. My grandson who lives with us has Asthma, so I'm freaked out about that. Also wish this new shot could have had more time for testing. probably have to cross my fingers and get him one unless he catches H1N1 first. Lot of kids at his school out sick......

Much better tech than in 1976.

We had Leanburn then, much better stuff now as a comparison.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:

While I was flying out to San Diego today I read an interesting interview with Dr. Fauci (Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) in the USA Today. Here's what he had to say about that episode in 1976:

Q: People might be fearful of Guillain-Barré syndrome. Can you talk about that?

A: Guillain-Barré is an autoimmune — meaning the body reacts against its own tissue — neurological disease that's characterized by ascending paralysis. People usually recover, but it's a very serious disease that can cause death. Guillain-Barré occurs in about one of 100,000 people in the United States. On a yearly basis, there's between 5,000 and 6,000 cases of Guillain-Barré. In 1976, there was a very well-recognized, historic incident called the swine flu affair. What happened is that a few hundred soldiers in Fort Dix, N.J., got a virus that was linked to a swine influenza. They isolated it. One soldier died. It was really a case study in why the president of the United States should never get involved in a vaccine program. People were so sensitized to this being another 1918 pandemic flu where 50 million to a 100 million people died worldwide that they said if it spreads throughout the world, or the United States, we could have another catastrophe. So they decided to manufacture a vaccine against this particular swine flu. The problem was that they brought in all of the big health pundits. They had (Albert) Sabin and (Jonas) Salk in the same room, which was very unusual since they hated each other. But they had them actually agree that we needed to make a vaccine, and we needed to administer it once we made it. That was the mistake because it violated a fundamental risk of vaccinology. As they were making it, it became clear that the swine flu never got out of Fort Dix. But nonetheless, they went ahead and vaccinated 40 million people against a pandemic that didn't materialize. So what you were left with was you had all the risk of the vaccine, and none of the risk of the pandemic.

I just love that last line...
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It seems to be effecting the young and I'm not. My wife is a nurse in a hospital and they have stopped young visitors from coming in but they are not to excited about getting shots. :yesnod:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Thing is, this flu is out in the public, so unlike 76, there really is a threat that this will stroke a ton of people.

Back