• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ECU Wiring

Ranger

Reaction score
I recently replaced the wiring harness on my ECU because the PO had it jury rigged with aluminum crimp pin connectors.
In doing so I noticed that it was not wired according to the diagram.
The light blue with yellow tracer wire goes directly to the + side of the coil, bypassing the ballast resistor.
The car seems to run just fine, although it is hard starting, but I think that may be choke adjustment or starting procedure (still experimenting to figure it out).
Is there a reason for it being wired this way?
Is it doing any harm?
Should I leave it or change it and why?

ecudia.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
Went over to Moparts.org and did some research on using or bypassing the ballast resistor. After much reading I couldn't be more confused. :crazy:

quikbird

Reaction score
sorry, I don't have a ballast resistor or the ecu. I went with a msd 6al box and never looked back.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I think someone might have bypassed the ballast to gain a little extra fire by eliminating the ballast. I'm not sure of the implications of this series but I think if it were mine I would wire it as recommended just for piece of mind.

Ranger

Reaction score
After studying the FSM wiring schematic and doing some probing with a DVM I am pretty sure that the coil is wired through the ballast resistor as it is supposed to be. My understanding is that if it is not, it won't last long.

As for the ECU, I guess I need to study up on it a bit more for a better understanding of exactly what it does and how it does it. That might help answer my question.

wagonman

Reaction score
Seems like if you wire the ecu to the coil + you will not get full voltage in the run position only the start position. I would fix it the way it should be in you diagram.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
You lost me when you stated that the ballast was bypassed then said is was not.

Ranger

Reaction score
The ECU is not run through the ballast resistor as stated in post #1.
The COIL is run through the ballast resistor as it should be and as it was wired from the factory.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You will cook the coil after awhile without a ballast and it will act just like vapor lock unless you get a coil that states it is good for a full 12 volts.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
The ECU is not run through the ballast resistor as stated in post #1.
The COIL is run through the ballast resistor as it should be and as it was wired from the factory.
I see what you mean. If it were mine I would wire it as directed to eliminate future problems that might occure. (just to be on the safe side)

Back