• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical issue:1969 roadrunner

bschomske

Reaction score
the lights to the gauge package.....The dimmer switch does not change anything plus dome light not working. Also Mac I'm in rochester ny..

mac

What ?
Reaction score
not that far away. if it is just the lights in the gauges and not anything else like the ashtray light or the light in the radio, it may be a bad pin on the circuit board. if they are all effected, first obviously check fuse and then test the dimmer in switch panel. if the dome light does not come on just by opening doors then again check fuse and or bulb. do you know if there is power there?

bschomske

Reaction score
I will have to check the things that you suggested to do.I don't really do electrical work.But if it can get it fixed or figured out I 'm all ears....Thanks Mac

bschomske

Reaction score
Checked fuse box..All good..The dimmeer switch does not change anything...Dome light does not work either way by switch or the door opening..

mac

What ?
Reaction score
check for power right at the dome light with the door open. maybe not getting a good ground through door switches. is there fresh paint?

bschomske

Reaction score
O.k..But heres the kicker.....Where are the grounds located or where do i look..Sorry about being a pain in your ,you know what...

bschomske

Reaction score
How many grounds does a car have and where would they be? Never really dealt with electric before but would use information to track down getting fixed Thanks "Runner from Rochester"

quikbird

Reaction score
Ground will usually be next to whatever item is. Trick is to make sure have a good contact to clean metal, not paint

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
in the Tech section here, we have all the Factory Service Manuals for the '69s.
offhand, IIRC there is a ground on the steering column, where it bolts to the dash,and one for the radio.

bschomske

Reaction score
I checked the ground on the colum.The wire was tight and on metal but this radio thing has me thinking.The radio will play fine sitting there,but when i drive you will get loud static i think or a loud feedback like noise.I have to shut off radio.Any thoughts.........The radio was sent out and converted to am/fm insides but stock case.thanks Basketcase

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sounds like ignition feedback....does your distributor have the condenser? did you have the radio done? If so talk to the people that worked on it.

bschomske

Reaction score
No I'm running the complete msd system with 8.5 wires.I do have two wires on passenger side that are not good of condition.The radio was sent to a place where they take your stock radio and put new electrical parts in it and turn it into a am/fm with forty five watts.So far not thrilled with radio problems the radio cost 475 out the door...

Back