• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition Identification help

mikerr

Reaction score
Just got my car last week and trying to get to know more about it so I can start working on it. This weekend I want to do a basic tune-up and need to replace the cap and rotor. From looking at the pictures does anybody know what setup could have been used here ? I have no idea what cap and rotor I need.

Thanks
MikeRR

IMG_4168.jpgIMG_4167.jpgIMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
No electronics there... That's the ballast resistor and voltage regulator in the upper left.

Looks like the standard single point distributor. Ask for it by the application (383 Plymouth LOL) and of course you'll need to change the points and condenser to do a proper "tune up"... just like the old days.

Big John

Reaction score
Oh... and get a brown cap if you can....

mikerr

Reaction score
Thanks. The previous owner told me he did the conversion but I could not find the components LOL! Can't wait to pull the cap off. Why a brown cap ?

Big John

Reaction score
So it looks right.... They came from the factory with a brown cap. One of those pet peeves I have....

Might have a Pertronix ignition unit under the cap. Basically a hidden conversion that fits where the points were. They work well. I think Roadcuda has one in his car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Pet Peeve of mine too, gotta have the brown cap!

mikerr

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will let you know what I find on Saturday when I take the cap off.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I put the Pertronix in my car and it has the brown cap.

You can buy the correct brown caps a NAPA.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
So it looks right.... They came from the factory with a brown cap. One of those pet peeves I have....

Might have a Pertronix ignition unit under the cap. Basically a hidden conversion that fits where the points were. They work well. I think Roadcuda has one in his car.

You are correct John. I have Pertronix II units in two of my cars and they work well in both of them. The easiest way to find out if that's what you have without taking off the cap is to look for two wires coming out of the distributor, instead of the one that points would have. That is one reason I went with the Pertronix. I like the stock look and this is the easiest way to do it. No one would know the difference unless they were specifically looking for how many wires come out of the distributor.

mikerr

Reaction score
Update....... Did the tune-up yesterday and it turned out to have points !

Big John

Reaction score
I'd suggest doing a conversion to the electronic ignition sometime. Either do the Chrysler version with a new distributor etc. or like the other guys have done and do the almost invisible Pertronix drop in conversion using the existing distributor.

Points work great.... but they are something that needs a lot more attention and regular replacement. Most have done the conversion and haven't looked back.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I pulled my electronic out and put points back in.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
what do you expect...I drive a 45 year old car!

cj69RR

Reaction score
Do an electronic conversion. Which ever one you choose, you will enjoy the drivability of it much more. Mine has an MSD system in it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when we first moved out here in '81 they still had a party line.

Back