• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic Ignition "Orange Box."

halifaxhops

Reaction score
Look at post 13 I posted some of the box info up. Remember that is just Mopar made boxes not aftermarket and new authorized boxes.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got mine from Summit Racing. Don't know if it is a piece of junk or not so have a back up ready just in case. LOL. Russ.

halifaxhops

Reaction score
Where do you buy these real Mopar boxes?
Usually Old store or dealer stock and restoration shops going out of buisness .No place you can just go and buy one now. The new orange boxes are a "Mopar Authorized" and seem to have n alot of failures with the internal transistor overheating and failing. I only use pre 80 stuff so I look for it daily. Lots of fake transister boxres ouy there we beat this up on FABO pretty well.

Last edited:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW. After hearing of all the problems guys seem to have with these units I put Pertronics in both of my 383 cars. If your not familiar with Pertronics it's a one piece unit that replaces the points and condenser in the distributor and has a different rotor. They both have been trouble free for over 10 years in these cars. It might be something to look into.

halifaxhops

Reaction score
Petronix are great. I prefer the original ones the Petronix 1. I run one in my Dart. Only issue really if it fails your not going to find it locally.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
FWIW. After hearing of all the problems guys seem to have with these units I put Pertronics in both of my 383 cars. If your not familiar with Pertronics it's a one piece unit that replaces the points and condenser in the distributor and has a different rotor. They both have been trouble free for over 10 years in these cars. It might be something to look into.
I have one in my 69 C-10 pickup. It's been great for at least 12 years now.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He was saying that with the MSD unit it doesn't matter if the box is good or not - it's gone...

halifaxhops

Reaction score
I have some NORS blue box 45.oo and some chrome aftermarket NORS for 55.00 and some NOS black boxes I re potted the back kind of ugly fronm some got on the front when the paper I had them on blew onto the but will clean up. 45. I can get pics but need a e mail to send them to.

Last edited:
Back