• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enclosed Trailer

moparchris

Reaction score
Oh and just another note. Most car truck trailer combos that get stolen are an enclosed combo. Most thieves realize that there is tools inside and they are worth way more to the than a Hemi Roadrunner than will be next to impossible to hawk.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Here's what I have now. This is an Eliminator trailer that they make locally. It tows great! I had it made with 7 foot ramps so I can get a Corvette on it with no problem.

The biggest issue I have is the rear of any trailer I have will scrape when I back into the driveway. My driveway dips down from the road quite a bit. They made it worse a few years ago when they raised the roadway. In fact, I had to raise my mailbox 8 inches. My worry is I buy a trailer that I can't back into my driveway!

DCP_2249.jpg

DCP_2248.jpg

DCP_2250.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
Most trailer manufacturers make wheels for the rear of the trailer to help in these situations. They are called Bogie wheels. Nice trailer by the way. If you get rid of it you will miss it. I borrow a friends open trailer all the time. Its just easier for around town.

droptop

Reaction score
Big John said:
Here's what I have now. This is an Eliminator trailer that they make locally. It tows great! I had it made with 7 foot ramps so I can get a Corvette on it with no problem.

The biggest issue I have is the rear of any trailer I have will scrape when I back into the driveway. My driveway dips down from the road quite a bit. They made it worse a few years ago when they raised the roadway. In fact, I had to raise my mailbox 8 inches. My worry is I buy a trailer that I can't back into my driveway!

DCP_2249.jpg

DCP_2248.jpg

DCP_2250.jpg

If this trailer drags, then there is no way an enclosed will go where you want it. They are very low in the back. Maybe some kind of caster wheel on the corners?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i am looking at ebay and theres the united UXT series enclosed 24 foot and they added a 2 inch tube to raise trailer so the wheel wells could be lower in the trailer which make it better when exiting car with the escape door open....they sit higher big....might be what you are looking for....chris....what do you think of these trailers??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2010 ... 4cef1d2203

moparchris

Reaction score
Thats a nice trailer. United is known for good quality. The only thing I see that I dont prefer, but will still work just fine is the rear door opening is narrow and that can be tight with a big car like a Roadrunner. The price is right though, a good trailer at a great price.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my rig. Man, this thing needs to be repainted - the sun has just cooked it. Fender got trashed when I was loading the posts for my garage floor lift onto it and we had a little "mishap"... Tows great though. Safely transported Bambi back from Texas - which was when this photo was taken back in August of '08.

One of these days I'll get an enclosed trailer. For now it's just on my wishlist; too many other things that require financial priority...

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Most trailer manufacturers make wheels for the rear of the trailer to help in these situations. They are called Bogie wheels. Nice trailer by the way. If you get rid of it you will miss it. I borrow a friends open trailer all the time. Its just easier for around town.

Yes. I think the bogie wheels might just do the trick. There's a lot of little things you can do to minimise the angle going in. Biggest problem everyone else has when they try to back their trailer in my driveway is they have the trailer nose angled up rather then the trailer riding level.

I was wondering about a United trailer. There's a local (Syracuse) dealer that's always advertising on Craigslist. I'll have to take a look.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I guess the one I was looking at is a no go. Its 83" between the cables, 86" door and 89" on the interior although it is 24'

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I guess the one I was looking at is a no go. Its 83" between the cables, 86" door and 89" on the interior although it is 24'
well the bird is 72 inches wide....would be tight

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
well the bird is 72 inches wide....would be tight
Its set up for a winch under the cabinets they must get out and winch the car in !

george68hemirr

Reaction score
the UNITED trailer that i showed the rear door is 92 inches wide and between the cables is 89 inches....so thats8.5 inches on each side of the bird.....not much room for error...i guess the cables could be disconnected

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Here's my rig. Man, this thing needs to be repainted - the sun has just cooked it. Fender got trashed when I was loading the posts for my garage floor lift onto it and we had a little "mishap"... Tows great though. Safely transported Bambi back from Texas - which was when this photo was taken back in August of '08.

One of these days I'll get an enclosed trailer. For now it's just on my wishlist; too many other things that require financial priority...

Dude Bambi is sexy. I just want to stuff dollar bills down the hood scoop!

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
the UNITED trailer that i showed the rear door is 92 inches wide and between the cables is 89 inches....so thats8.5 inches on each side of the bird.....not much room for error...i guess the cables could be disconnected

Thats pretty good, it only gets a few inches wider on the really wide trailers. The cables are not easily disconnected, they are wound around a drum and its spring loaded. It would be kinda tough driving it in, you'd have to get it lined up just right if your going to drive it in. I like to winch it from the outside so that I can watch both sides and take it slow. Plus it can beat a four speed cars clutch trying to get it in at a reasonable speed.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Big......was just talking with some buddies and that thing about registering the trailer in maine.....well nys just passed a new law in febuary and thats a no-no.....truck and trailer must have the same plate.....but tractor/trailers thats okay.....going to maryland tomorrow morning to look and maybe buy that united enclosed trailer.....this one is red.....will post pics if i get it.....5 hrs one way....should get great gas mileage with my f-350 diesel :cool:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:

The tie-down straps probably add to the attraction; a little stripper - bondage action... :leave: :lol:

Thanks, Chris. She's not bad - as old, primered factory hotrods go, and just a hell of a lot of fun to drive in this condition. Seems funny to look at a pic with the '71 Rallye wheels on there; I'm so into the Halibrands that are on her now...

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:

The tie-down straps probably add to the attraction; a little stripper - bondage action... :leave: :lol:

Thanks, Chris. She's not bad - as old, primered factory hotrods go, and just a hell of a lot of fun to drive in this condition. Seems funny to look at a pic with the '71 Rallye wheels on there; I'm so into the Halibrands that are on her now...

:jester:
She needs a brass pole in her stable :D

Back