• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine choices.

Reaction score
do you have to rebuild the 383 or the 440? or do they both run.
Put the 383 in the car, if your going to sell it, and sell 440 separately, lots of people looking for 440's to restore cars.
Both need to be torn down and inspected. Both are in question. The 440 was casted on my birthday 9 years prior so I could keep that and just build the 383. Thanks for your suggestions.

Goon

Reaction score
Wish I would have kept my 383. You can do a lot to them now, compared to 15 years ago, when I got rid of mine.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Gotta agree with most guys on here, decide what you want from the car, and then build it. Sounds like you want to flip it, so that period-correct Hemi is probably gonna be your best bet. Whether its worth the price tag to you? Depends on what you paid for the car i suppose.

Took me 4 years to get my hands on my car. After following auction prices on sites like Mecum and Barrett Jackson (because I live on the other side of the world), a few patterns started to emerge in regards to price. I wont go into detail, but once you decide what it is your going after, a fairly accurate price gauge can be had.

Personally, I love the 68. But after deciding how much i wanted to spend, it quickly became apparent that I wasn't gonna get my hands on something with a matching #'s engine. So while I was at it, it might as well have been an upgrade in CI. Im happy with my purchase and my car, and I'm sure that whichever way you go, someone is gonna be real happy with your car too.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm just guessing but I think a "period" correct hemi will cost more than what you will ever get out of the car.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Runs like a raped ape. I haven't heard that since I was a kid. Great saying. Hopefully I will get mine to that status.69 roadrunner.JPG .

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Thanks. After talking to you guys I will probably pull the engine and start over. The guy I bought it from said it was the correct engine not the original. The car is very solid and clean in California its whole life but I think he took a regular 383 engine and slapped 906 heads and HP exhaust on it and called it a roadrunner engine.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
IIRC...a base 383 was 330hp and the road runner/Super Bee 383 is 335hp....just got a bigger cam and the HP exhaust manifolds and a four barrel.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, the 383 2bbl in my '69 Fury is rated at 290 horse. I thought that the 330 horse engines came with the a/c cars.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
otay...according to my Motors Manual.....
1969 Dodge/Plymouth 383 as follows-
383 two barrel 290 HP @ 390 torque
383 four barrel 330 HP @ 425 torque
383 four barrel 335 HP @ 425 torque
no mention of air or non.

Back