• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Component Originality

RR383

Reaction score
Recently bought 1970RR with the 383 engine. The previous owner had bought this car from what he claims was the original owner. Anyway, at some point in the not so distant past someone had removed the original iron 4-barrel intake manifold along with the Carter AVS 4-barrel carb and the infamous factory RR air intake filter housing. All were replaced with aftermarket parts. Aluminum intake, Edlebrock 600 cfm carb and a Mopar Performance air filter housing...all looks good...but at this very early stage of owning my very first Mopar I'm not sure anything was gained with swapping over in fact the car seems to be missing something especially when I test drove it. For example...the car stumbles with early throttle response and there doesn't seem to be a kick down linkage...in other words when you get moving and snap the throttle normally you would be in the trans passing gear mode....Nothing?
I'm very seriously leaning towards removing the aftermarket parts and installing the original intake, carb and air cleaner...after all by design it all performed quite well at one point. And most importantly, I want to retain as much originality as possible.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The road to ruin is paved with good intentions. The previous owner has tried to make the car faster and probably gave up and sold the car.

First things first. The throttle linkage to the trans MUST be in place. That linkage modulates the trans line pressure, which governs how your trans works, governing shift points and pressure to apply clutches and bands. If this car has been driven a lot like this, a trans rebuild is in your not too distant future.

BTW, kickdown linkage is a GM term.... but nobody seems to get that. Personal peeve of mine.

If you want to replace the manifold and carb, that's fine. Another option, depending on the manifold style, is to paint it and get the right air cleaner. Not many folks will notice.

Get the throttle linkage corrected first and then we can address drivability issues. With the linkage missing, your shift points will be very low and the trans may (will) slip when you push it. This linkage works completely different than the GM kickdown linkage that shifts you into "passing gear" in your Caprice wagon.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here are some part #s if you want to go original. Intake-2951665, carburetor auto without fresh air hood without e.e.c. R4368A....without fresh air hood with e.e.c. R4218A.....with fresh air hood without e.e.c. R47371A......fresh air hood with e.e.c. R4218A

RR383

Reaction score
I'll get some pics...it does appear all the factory linkage is connected up top...will get under the car and give you better feedback of what I see...thanks...

RR383

Reaction score
I have the original intake and carb...though the card could more than likely stand a rebuild kit. Is the No. 29151665 a number I should find casted somewhere on the manifold? BTW, please explain the e.e.c. and "R" numbers

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yes on the manifold. EEC engine electronic control and R designates Holley

A31PKG

Reaction score
Your desire to return the engine to its correct original configuration is to be applauded. You say this is your first MOPAR, so let me offer this: When they were new, they kicked ass - period. In stock form, the 383 was a high revving torque monster right out of the box. Sure adding bolt-ons (headers, intake, carb and such) will help ANY engine create more power, but MOPAR power plants were already above average performers by design. Another thing, all engines require some tuning, but avoiding the headaches that go along with keeping a modified engine in tune is another bonus. Keep it stock, and enjoy it!

RR383

Reaction score
Did they have EEC in 1970. BTW, were Holley carbs common fare on the RR. This car came with a Carter 4-barrel ASV.

RR383

Reaction score
A31PKG - Thanks for those comments. The RR I recently purchased is such a solid car and someone tried for whatever reason apparently thought by bolting on aftermarket intake and carb it would be a dramatic increase in power...etc. Well, I can tell you its none of that in its current configuration. Yes, I always thought the 383 was a monster straight out of the box. So, you agree that by having the original intake and carb...getting them on the car and a good tuner that would the route you would go as well. Nothing wrong with being a purist in this case.
BTW, the B5 blue 70 RR posted at the heading of our post is my car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Did they have EEC in 1970. BTW, were Holley carbs common fare on the RR. This car came with a Carter 4-barrel ASV.

All of those part #s are 1970 with automatic trans. What is the number on you carb? Its on the front of the bottom plate near the intake nut or bolt.

RR383

Reaction score
Its a Carter AVS...not holley a little confused here. BTW, I have the original Broadcast sheet maybe that will clear this up...your thoughts

A31PKG

Reaction score
Holleys were used sparingly on 383 Road Runners and Super Bees in 1970. Not sure, but I would venture to say maybe less than 25%? I've participated in a few discussions on this topic over the years and the only thing that I have been able to conclude is that it did not seem to matter if the car had cruise control or A/C. However, I may be wrong, but I believe that they were only used with automatics....Your car is very nice. I have some photos of a beautiful 70 B5 auto survivor that I ran across for sale a few years back...I'll try and dig them up...

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
Thank you....I'm very pleased to find this car in such remarkable condition. I do have the original Broadcast sheet...btw would I find the style of carb selected for this car during assembly? And no this car is an A/C delete car.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A/C was an option so most runners didn't get it. 1970-74 broadcast sheet line 4 box 3 is your carb #. See what you have ! For those playing along 1969 was line 3 box 12. The original broadcast sheet is the gospel.

RR383

Reaction score
Gentlemen, my broadcast sheet line 4 box 3 shows the number 42 in the carb column. And this translates to what style carb? thanks

A31PKG

Reaction score
Gentlemen, my broadcast sheet line 4 box 3 shows the number 42 in the carb column. And this translates to what style carb? thanks

Looks like 42 equals a Holley according to my book...see if Bob agrees...Here is a survivor pic....

70RUNNER19.jpg

70RUNNER19.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks like 42 equals a Holley according to my book...see if Bob agrees...Here is a survivor pic....

View attachment 9988

My book gets muddled up for 1970 do to EEC. If you could tell me if you have EEC or not, a fresh air hood I could say for sure. 1971 a 42 = Holley. Also what is the # on your Carter ?

Back