• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Oil Preferences

RR383

Reaction score
OK...I'd like hear your comments of your oil preferences by manufactures and weights/multi-viscosities for these early year engines. Throw in your choice of spin-on filters as well. Thanks!
For starters my #1 preference in filters is the Napa Gold which BTW is WIX. I've also have used Brad Penn Racing Oil "Green Oil" 10W -30 very high zinc content.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I run that same combination in my 70 300.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oil choice?

Whatever his mechanic puts in there... :basketcase: :acme:

I have been using that same Brad Penn oil too lately. I usually still employ one of the zinc additives. Call me paranoid...but I haven't lost a flat tapped cam yet...

I currently run several different types of filters, truth be told.

Ranger

Reaction score
I run Rotella T5 (10W30), any filter except Fram (currently using a Purolator), and a bottle of ZDDP Plus. I'm paranoid too.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rotella used to be really,really good even after they killed the zinc in the traditional automotive oils...then the feds castrated it too. F**kers.

Ranger

Reaction score
I think Rotella, Delvac & Delo still have somewhat higher zinc levels than the non diesel oils, but I do realize that they too have been reduced, thus the ZDDP Plus (and I normally don't buy into the additive hype).

quikbird

Reaction score
I think rotella is what is in there now. I run roller lifter, so no special additive need in my case

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think rotella is what is in there now. I run roller lifter, so no special additive need in my case

If you use a mechanical fuel pump you will ruin the push rod against the cam without Zinc phosphorus

redchas

Reaction score
Mobil 1 10W-40 with ZDDP additive and K&N oil filter. Have run this combination exclusively in Fords, Mercurys, Oldsmobiles and now Mopars. Actually just started adding the ZDDP several years ago when the zinc was taken out of the oil. "Big Daddy" Don Garlets sold me on the ZDDP. Hi word is good enough for me.

Ranger

Reaction score
Zinc levels where reduced, not taken out of motor oils. This list is 10 yrs old. Not sure if they have come down further or not and I have not been able to find an updated list.

attachment.php

ZDDP levels.jpg

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Zinc levels where reduced, not taken out of motor oils. This list is 10 yrs old. Not sure if they have come down further or not and I have not been able to find an updated list.

attachment.php

Any updated info since 2006? I know diesel oils like Rotella changed since then.

Ranger

Reaction score
Search though I may, I cannot come up with an updated list or even find out what the Zinc level in Rotella T5 currently is, soooo I will continue to use it and add a bottle of ZDDP plus..................................and pray to the engine Gods.

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
HPIM4497.jpg

My Engine builder recommended this for my rebuilt HP440

TOMRR

Reaction score
Do you still need to follow up with a separate ZDDP additive to get the numbers?

I do not know, Larry's Auto Mach. out of Groton CT. Rebuilt my 440 to 1969 HP Spec. and this the oil they recommended

Back