• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Oil Preferences

CompSyn

Reaction score
OK...I'd like hear your comments of your oil preferences by manufactures and weights/multi-viscosities for these early year engines. Throw in your choice of spin-on filters as well. Thanks!
For starters my #1 preference in filters is the Napa Gold which BTW is WIX. I've also have used Brad Penn Racing Oil "Green Oil" 10W -30 very high zinc content.

My Road Runner isn't on the road yet but here would be my top oil and filter choices:

My first choice for oil would be Amsoil Z-ROD 10W-30 with 1320ppm Phosphorus and 1440ppm Zinc. Aside from good ZDDP numbers, this oil has a low volatility number of 5% which would seem to indicate very good base oil being used - LINK

My second oil choice is Shell Rotella T5 10W-30. As of 11-19-2014, it was tested at 1039ppm Phosphorus and 1181ppm Zinc. Still adequate ZDDP and readily available at the big box mart for a good price - LINK

My first choice for oil filter would be an industrial grade Donaldson P169071. This filter uses fully synthetic media which I believe is around 99% efficient at 15 microns Absolute - LINK

My second choice for oil filter is a Fram Ultra XG8A which is 99%+ efficient at 20 microns Absolute. It features metal end caps and dual-layer synthetic media. I know a lot of people scoff at the entry level orange can of death, but the Ultra model far exceeds the orange can in both filtering ability and construction. - LINK

WIX/NAPA Gold oil filters are very good too, but I prefer filters made with full synthetic media over paper ones.

snook

Reaction score
Research. I needed a high zinc oil for my racecar solid cam and i like the fact that's it's a green color, easy to see if I have any leaks.

RR383

Reaction score
Brad Penn 10w40 and Wix/Napa filter.

First where are you located in TN....I'm just west of Knoxville. Yeah, I have run Brad Penn in other hotrods in the past w/o issue. They seem to have a stable product...something about a natural vein which includes the much needed zinc and phosphorus exclusively in the Bradford, PA drilling locale.

Coyote

Reaction score
First where are you located in TN....I'm just west of Knoxville. Yeah, I have run Brad Penn in other hotrods in the past w/o issue. They seem to have a stable product...something about a natural vein which includes the much needed zinc and phosphorus exclusively in the Bradford, PA drilling locale.

Yup, Genuwine PA crude. Kendall, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Wolf's Head used to be, may still be. I run a roller in my drag/autoX '55 Chebby. Rotella, Delvac, Delo 400, whatever is available. 15W40 with the Fram Racing filter. I have eliminated the bypass and everything HAS to go through filter. It gets the big chunks out and I am a fanatic on changing after every road trip to a GG show when I run autoX. I'll be headed for the Raleigh, NC show in about two weeks. Stop by and say "Hey" if you're there!

Just about ready to drop fresh 440 in the Satellite. I'll use 10W30 Quaker State with Comp Cams break in additive for initial break in. It'll go to 15W40 diesel oil with another jug of Comp additive on first change. New Comp flat tappet hydraulic, I may continue additive every change. It'll be run pretty hard too.
FYI: Shell has purchased both Quaker State and Pennzoil. I don't hesitate to use any of them.

Last edited:
Back