• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine paint

roadrunner4life

Reaction score
I'm now ready to paint my motor and dont have any idea what type of paint to use, The motor came from Muscle Motors in a red epoxy primer, I have checked in Eastwood and they have a Qt can that has ceramic in it, they say its good for 650 deg, On the other hand I could get a rattle can from Ma Mopar, then there is a rattle cans from any Advance Auto store.........any ideas here, ?? I figure the Qt from Eastwood would be more than enough to cover and with good coverage, thanks for the imput

moparstuart

Reaction score
roadrunner4life said:
I'm now ready to paint my motor and dont have any idea what type of paint to use, The motor came from Muscle Motors in a red epoxy primer, I have checked in Eastwood and they have a Qt can that has ceramic in it, they say its good for 650 deg, On the other hand I could get a rattle can from Ma Mopar, then there is a rattle cans from any Advance Auto store.........any ideas here, ?? I figure the Qt from Eastwood would be more than enough to cover and with good coverage, thanks for the imput
i have had great luck with the Ma mopar rattle cans , no complaints here :thumbsup: :cents:

zupanj

Reaction score
I used rattle cans too and they worked fine. Mancini sells them among others.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I used dupli-color engine paint from Napa. If you can shoot it I would much prefer acrylic enamel. It will hold up to gas, carb spray or about any other chemical you throw at it..........I just couldn't afford it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you are looking for paint that can stand up to carb spray and solvents of that type check out Restomotive Lab's engine paints. They also make POR-15. This stuff is a high solids paint which means it takes a long time to dry but once it does the only thing I've found that will take it off is brake fluid!
You can either spray it on or apply it with a brush. If you use spray equipment make sure you run solvent through it to clean out all the engine paint or it will render your gun useless.
Check them out here: http://www.por15.com/

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
You could try Totally Auto They mix the proper color and put in a rattle can, good paint. Look in the restoration paints :cheers: http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

And if you look in the feature cars page 5 you'll see the 69 Roadrunner I kick myself for selling...... :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:
You could try Totally Auto They mix the proper color and put in a rattle can, good paint. Look in the restoration paints :cheers: http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

And if you look in the feature cars page 5 you'll see the 69 Roadrunner I kick myself for selling...... :brickwall:
Oh No, I hate it when that happens :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wow Big, isn't that the Hemi car the owners kids were using the air grabber hood for a sled, bounching off the roof with it? When did you own it?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I used dupli-color engine paint from Napa. If you can shoot it I would much prefer acrylic enamel. It will hold up to gas, carb spray or about any other chemical you throw at it..........I just couldn't afford it.

do what Hoosier Bird said....i used that paint on all kinds of motors and it holds up to what ever i throw at it and it dont peel off....this last motor in my runner doesnt need paint since its all aluminum :D

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:

do what Hoosier Bird said....i used that paint on all kinds of motors and it holds up to what ever i throw at it and it dont peel off....this last motor in my runner doesnt need paint since its all aluminum :D
Rub it in why don't you............ :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
....i used that paint on all kinds of motors and it holds up to what ever i throw at it and it dont peel off....this last motor in my runner doesnt need paint since its all aluminum :D

:worship: :worship: :worship:

There is no substitute for cubic inches and LARGE chunks of machined aluminum... :rimshot:

:banana: :jester: :banana:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
wow Big, isn't that the Hemi car the owners kids were using the air grabber hood for a sled, bounching off the roof with it? When did you own it?

I read that... Bunch of BS.... I bought it from the original owner and it sat in my garage the entire time I owned it.

The original Air Grabber hood was cut up and a scoop glassed on it by the original owner of the car. The biggest problem with the car was the rear quarters were cut up and flared and the paint was really screwed up. The car was rock solid otherwise.

I sold it to a friend who started on the body and then sold it to another guy and he flipped it it to Bill Stech. Stech is a friend of a friend and I met him once. He told me the roof was replaced because it looked like someone climbed on it. When I last saw the car it was fine. The magaine article has them replacing everything..... and that everything was destroyed in the car....

The car did need a lot of work... no doubt about it. But it wasn't near as bad as they tried to say it was.

The article really pissed me off because it pointed fingers directly at my friend and myself... that we had let our kids "destroy" the car.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
The article really pissed me off because it pointed fingers directly at my friend and myself... that we had let our kids "destroy" the car.

I could see where that might leave you a tad aggitated...I know I would be... :yesnod:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A little rough on cars are you John :lmao: I guess I shouldn't mess with Big, I'm sure it did piss you off :basketcase: Damn it there I go again :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A little rough on cars are you John :lmao: I guess I shouldn't mess with Big, I'm sure it did piss you off :basketcase: Damn it there I go again :jester:
Oh, grasshopper, I've taught you well...... :pot: :devil:

Back