• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine runs like crap........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
The title should actually be Round 2 of the mystery.....

Check out the pics and I'll try to tell you what else I have found.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Re: Hot Naked Chick........

1. Everything looks nice and clean in the picture showing the lifter valley.
2. If you look at either piston picture you will notice that the intake valves are touching the pistons ever so slightly.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

Well, I had to stop tonight because I couldn't find my stupid harmonic balancer puller. Here is what I think..........Whoever had it before me couldn't get it to run right after having the heads redone, new carb, new plugs, new rotor, new this and new that and the problem is the timing chain.......Everything on top had been taken off and looked good, but the water pump housing had not........we will see.....what is your opinion?

OH, Yeah.....Bores look great. +.030

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

i think we are dying to see want up under that timing chain cover....also piston to valve clearences should be check....they should be tapping the pistons.....maybe the heads are shaved too much,...you might have to shim up with a thicker head gasket.....its gotta be the chain not installed correctly

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

george68hemirr said:
i think we are dying to see want up under that timing chain cover....also piston to valve clearences should be check....they should be tapping the pistons.....maybe the heads are shaved too much,...you might have to shim up with a thicker head gasket.....its gotta be the chain not installed correctly

George, I think they did all this work and left the old timing chain in........I'm thinking its just wore out and not installed wrong.......we will find out tomorrow....I wish I could remember who I loaned my puller too......... :brickwall:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

If thats a steel head gasket you might get enough clearence with a Felpro permatorque gasket! You know the blue ones. :popcorn:

mcmopar

Reaction score

You may want to also check your intake pushrods to make sure they are straight. Even a small nick between piston and valve can bend them a touch. Roll them on a completely flat surface to see if they wobble even just a little. If they do its time for some new pushrods.
I think you are probably right in your assessment about the timing chain. Time for a new steel replacement or double roller setup. The double roller units are affordable enough so I'd definitely recommend one of them.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

mcmopar said:
You may want to also check your intake pushrods to make sure they are straight. Even a small nick between piston and valve can bend them a touch. Roll them on a completely flat surface to see if they wobble even just a little. If they do its time for some new pushrods.
I think you are probably right in your assessment about the timing chain. Time for a new steel replacement or double roller setup. The double roller units are affordable enough so I'd definitely recommend one of them.
Yes, I already have one. I just wanted to figure out why it was running so crappy before intalling. And it gave me good conversation with you guys. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Who in the world goes to all of that trouble - .030" overbore, valve job, etc., etc. - and slaps the old timing chain back on...??? :huh:

I hope that for your sake Gary it is that simple (and stupid) because you could then effect a very rapid resolution to this matter...but it just doesn't seem that likely that someone would rebuild an engine from top to bottom and slap the old chain & gears back on... NO ONE that I know would...

BTW - I use the exact same subject title in e-mails to my VP that I want him to read immediately... :lol:

:jester:
Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
Who in the world goes to all of that trouble - .030" overbore, valve job, etc., etc. - and slaps the old timing chain back on...??? :huh:

I hope that for your sake Gary it is that simple (and stupid) because you could then effect a very rapid resolution to this matter...but it just doesn't seem that likely that someone would rebuild an engine from top to bottom and slap the old chain & gears back on... NO ONE that I know would...

BTW - I use the exact same subject title in e-mails to my VP that I want him to read immediately... :lol:

:jester:
Ray
Actually I'm thinking maybe the bottom end was done some time back. Then to try to get it running good they have done the top end. Have not measured bores yet to check for wear. Pistons are 30 over flat top. Water pump housing didn't look like it had been off for years. Still...who would go to the trouble to replace even the lifters without the chain........Crazy People......... :huh:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

the old story..... dont do the top without doing the bottom

you talk about crazy....i did that when i was about 17...had a 56 chevy wagon..265.. 3 speed....you go down the road and jump into it, sounded like a machine gun...popping thru the carb....i put one a set of power-pak heads....thinking its all fixed...same thing....then i changed the cam...and wow all fixed

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
How does #8 look?
#8 looks good......Now the plot thickens.........got to the timing chain and it looks new. Double roller type with 3 keys and it was lined up perfectly. Did not use a degree wheel. Markings on the end of the cam are 292H10 V6830. I must assume that would be a Comp Cam Magnum 292......... :huh: I guess I'm back to the distibutor...... :huh: This car runs like it is continuously floating out..........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

I just read that adjustable valve train is required for this cam...........maybe just maybe it's solved.......... :huh: :popcorn:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hoosier Bird said:
I just read that adjustable valve train is required for this cam...........maybe just maybe it's solved.......... :huh: :popcorn:

I looked for that on the Comp website...didn't see it...where did you read that?

Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":3jzd9zjt]I just read that adjustable valve train is required for this cam...........maybe just maybe it's solved.......... :huh: :popcorn:

I looked for that on the Comp website...didn't see it...where did you read that?

Ray[/quote:3jzd9zjt]
Click on that cam like you are getting info on it. At the bottom of the page you will see, I think it says cam specs. Open the cam specs and it is in the notes......... :banana: :banana: I hope my banana jumping isn't too early...... :lol: :popcorn:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

I was about to say if the heads have been milled alot the stems are to long for a rocker shaft style rocker! :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

Here are the installation notes off of their website:

[28] 3-Bolt core available. Change first 2 digits of part # to 23.

[7] Stock springs cannot be used.

[23] Includes special shafts & spacers.

[27] Special 10º locks, 1/2 2 groove, 1/2 set 4 groove. Single groove use part #612-16.

[61] Pre 1968 use 824-16 lifters.

[37] Adjustable valve train required.
:yesnod: :popcorn:
[2] Requires machining on cylinder heads.

moparstuart

Reaction score

Hoosier Bird said:
Here are the installation notes off of their website:

[28] 3-Bolt core available. Change first 2 digits of part # to 23.

[7] Stock springs cannot be used.

[23] Includes special shafts & spacers.

[27] Special 10º locks, 1/2 2 groove, 1/2 set 4 groove. Single groove use part #612-16.

[61] Pre 1968 use 824-16 lifters.

[37] Adjustable valve train required.
:yesnod: :popcorn:
[2] Requires machining on cylinder heads.
order a different cam

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Pulled the other head off and I see the same marks on the pistons. Now I must decide what to do. Does anyone think that the #8 pressure issue would be caused by the valves maybe not being totally closed? I have half a notion to put it back together and try to run it with adjustable rockers......what do you guys think/

Back