• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine runs like crap........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hoosier Bird said:
My new one is even bigger. I have everything to put it together except bottom end. I was going to order stroker kit but economy put me on a tight budget. Everything I have is good to go with that cam.......except..........If I figured my compression correctly it is only 7.75......ouch......flat top pistons are down in the hole .100, 906 heads 76cc 4.280 bore X 3.380 Stroke........:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: So now I'm thinking I should get a smaller cam and run it till my budget changes.......
No Coronas last night. Does this quote not sound like a new engine? :D

Okay, perhaps I was looking at this from the wrong perspective...maybe you should have had a few Coronas... :lol:

I can see where the confusion comes in...suggest you put Hoosier on "Double Top Secret B5 Probation" until he starts dividing different subjects into different paragraphs... :D

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think you have the right idea, throw a small cam in and enjoy it, but #8 still concerns me to have the wet and dry test like that. Then put the other engine in later :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I think you have the right idea, throw a small cam in and enjoy it, but #8 still concerns me to have the wet and dry test like that. Then put the other engine in later :jester:

You're right about #8 - maybe that one tagged the piston just a touch harder than the rest and the valve is slightly bent...easy enough to check that out... Maybe the PO lined up the compression rings on that cylinder... Something is amiss...

Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

You're right about #8 - maybe that one tagged the piston just a touch harder than the rest and the valve is slightly bent...easy enough to check that out... Maybe the PO lined up the compression rings on that cylinder... Something is amiss...

Ray
I'll keep you guys posted. I'm pretty frustrated with the whole situation right now. I will work it out. :thumbsup:

toms69rr

Reaction score
I ran a sixpack cam in mine runs real good.It has a good responce time.
Just a 383 .040 over Eagel rod and stock crank ,and Keith Black pistons.With a 4 speed and 489 355 sure grip it will get your attention. :cheers:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
toms69rr said:
I ran a sixpack cam in mine runs real good.It has a good responce time.
Just a 383 .040 over Eagel rod and stock crank ,and Keith Black pistons.With a 4 speed and 489 355 sure grip it will get your attention. :cheers:
Do you know your compression ratio or piston part#s?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Came home tonight, put the car up on stands, pulled the driveshaft, shifter, tranny cross member, etc.....ready to pull engine and tranny in the morning. Get it on the engine stand for some closer inspection.......... :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Came home tonight, put the car up on stands, pulled the driveshaft, shifter, tranny cross member, etc.....ready to pull engine and tranny in the morning. Get it on the engine stand for some closer inspection.......... :thumbsup:

well what do you knew ...you took my advice

now while its out...dont tell the wife...go buy a all done HEMI and drop it in....nobody will know but us!!!!!.....all fixed

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:

well what do you knew ...you took my advice

now while its out...dont tell the wife...go buy a all done HEMI and drop it in....nobody will know but us!!!!!.....all fixed
That may be a tough one to fly under the radar....... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Couple more pictures..........
I see the cam gear mark, is the crank mark above the keyway I cant see it? I havent done a wedge in years but alot of engines the timing mark and keyway are different I think you may be way off. That would be the cause of the piston and valves. Got a better pic of the crank gear?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Your out in the garage pulling the engine when you should be reading this :toetap:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you go to page 9-55 in the Factory Service Manual, there's a good shot of how the gears should align.

What is a mystery to me is if these gears are off that much, how does the car run at all???

Back