• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust System

toms69rr

Reaction score
While I am off, healing from surgery.
I going to have a new exhaust system put on.
I would probably run 2 .25 or 2 .5 inch? Not sure of size want some opinions
Run an H or an X pipe I am leaning towards an H pipe I hear and X pipe sounds more like a ricer than a muscle car.
I don't want a real loud car just a nice deep rumble more the lines of a beefy stock sound.
The car
383 .040 over
Standard crank original
Eagle rods
Keith Black pistons
Mopar Performance cam Lift .484/.484
Slightly ported and polished 906 heads
Stock Manifold
Edelbrock 1411 750cfm
Stock HP Manifolds
4 Speed
3:55 Sure Grip 8 ¾
I was thinking of going with some Magnaflows?
Want to do right the first time.
Let me hear your opinions and suggestions all are welcome
:worship: :worship:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey John (mcmopar), what kind of mufflers do you have on your car? Sounds like what Tom is looking for...

Go with the 2.5" Tom...

Never heard anything about an X Pipe sounding like a ricer before...

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I like the X pipe and 2.5. Better performance and the X makes your car a little quieter. The sounds kinda cancel each other out. It will NOT sound like a rice grinder...........

mcmopar

Reaction score
Ditto on the 2.5" pipe. X pipe makes better power than the H pipe. I'd also recommend a good, free flowing muffler like the Dynomax Ultraflow or the possibly the Magnaflow mufflers. Of course, if a more quiet sound is desired the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbo is a fine choice as well.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 as well, with Dynomax Super Turbo's, I think (whatever comes with the TTI kit)... I like the sound, although I almost wish I went with a 3" pipe, even though it'd be overkill.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I never liked the sound of the flowmasters myself. The 5.0 Mustangs around here all seem to have them.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Even though TTI makes a 3" system that will connect to the stock manifolds its overkill. a 3" system with the stock manifolds will provide minimal benefits at best over a 2.5" system. If headers were installed I'd definitely say go with the 3" system.
I guess the reason I like the Magnaflows is two-fold:
1) they outflow most all other brands of street mufflers which is why I bought them. My idea was to go with the TTI headers and 3" system with Magnaflows so I would not have to bother uncorking the engine at the drags. Now I don't go to the drags anymore - doh!
2) Everyone down here has Flowmasters on everything. They all sound the same. A couple of buddies of mine have Flowmasters on their cars and tell me they get to droning at certain rpm's. Its so bad they have to wear earplugs! My Magnaflows are meaty sounding but at least I can still play the radio and carry on a conversation. And as for sound - well - ask Ray (Acme A-12) or moparmoose3 how they sound! :drive:
Truth be told - I wish now that I had gone with the Hemi Super Turbos myself. They don't flow near as well as the Magnaflows but they are a bit quieter which would be nice since the car is merely a cruiser now.

Tom - I think you'll be quite happy with that combo.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
John's cars sounds great - which is why I was asked which mufflers he runs. He told me when we were riding around in the car, but I couldn't recall what they were.

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
John's cars sounds great - which is why I was asked which mufflers he runs. He told me when we were riding around in the car, but I couldn't recall what they were.

Ray
3" stainless steel Magnaflows. The 3" diameter pipe contributes to the rumble but like I said, I'd only recommend the 3" diameter system if the car was equipped with headers.

After hearing all those mufflers I actually like the sound of the glasspacks best!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:

Ray
3" stainless steel Magnaflows. The 3" diameter pipe contributes to the rumble but like I said, I'd only recommend the 3" diameter system if the car was equipped with headers.

After hearing all those mufflers I actually like the sound of the glasspacks best!
If one could just get the packing to last :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah - that's the rub. Its kind of why I like the Magnaflow and Ultraflow mufflers. They are a straight through design with 2 different kinds of metal mesh packed inside as sound deadeners instead of fiberglass. If you look through the muffler from either the inlet or outlet sides you'll see light at the other end - no baffles or channels inside.

As an addendum to one of my previous posts - while I'm not a big Flowmaster fan my buddy moparmoose3 (Jerry) has them on his road runner clone (440 Satellite) and that is one mean sounding car! When it fires up it really hits hard and sounds extremely mean. That is one fine engine in that car.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
okay heres my vote....buy the tti whole package..with headers..3 inch all the way and those sweet sounding 2 chamber flowmaster mufflers

toms69rr

Reaction score
Really thought about that
But it is a numbers matching car so really made it close to stock. Really thinking about pull off the Mopar Performance valve covers and replacing them with some nice stock ones
There are a few mods on it that did not come from the factory
The white face instrument panel I had redline gauges redo
American torque thrust wheels
And the Valve covers.
That’s why there is no headrest. Early 69 build

Build date was 10/24/68

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
toms69rr said:
Really thought about that
But it is a numbers matching car so really made it close to stock. Really thinking about pull off the Mopar Performance valve covers and replacing them with some nice stock ones
There are a few mods on it that did not come from the factory
The white face instrument panel I had redline gauges redo
American torque thrust wheels
And the Valve covers.
That’s why there is no headrest. Early 69 build

Build date was 10/24/68
its everyones choice to build what you like and whatever makes you happy

moparmoose3

Reaction score
i have to say that i helped mcmopar put that exhaust system on his car and it was the easiest system i have ever put on a car. everything fit like a glove. now john does have headers on his car so it's all a matter of what you're confortable with. it's you that has to listen to the sound that comes from the system. :drive: :banana: :cheers:

toms69rr

Reaction score
Talk to a local muffler shop today and they gave me a price $980.00 complete system
As I sat there in my chair pondering his price, I ask him if that was Stainless Steel.
He said no that was aluminized pipe.
Dose that sound high to you or have I been out of the exhaust realm way to long?
I ask if he smoked crack
I already told the man I had the tips and hangers
For that type of money I will do it myself
for a little more than half I can buy the kit and the mufflers
Plus the man told me he would need my car for two days

mcmopar

Reaction score
Get the TTI system and you can bolt it up in less than a day. Its aluminized pipe IIRC but its mandrel bent (no kinks) and you can get either H or X pipe head pipes. The pipes are thick wall, too - no cheap stuff here. If your car is an auto on the column you may have to modify the linkage a bit but they include all the instructions. Go here:
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/ to check them out. On the left side of the page look for the heading "Exhaust Systems" and click on either the H Pipe Design or the X Pipe Design to get your inventory of parts provided and the price. Its a lot cheaper than your muffler shop guy. Plus you can get hangers mufflers and everything else directly from them. You'll get a far better product from TTI than you will from your exhaust shop - probably less expensive, too.
Since we are all running no-lead gas its not like its going to rust out like in the old days of leaded gas. My TTI system has been on the car 6 years and its as good as new - and I ran Max Lead 2000 (real tetraethyl lead) in it for 5 of those 6 years.

Back