• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feeling Good!

dobie

Reaction score
I finally got my carb back this afternoon. Needless to say I put it right on. After checking a few things here and there, I had to start it up! Once the little leaks were taken care of, I figured I owed it to her to back her out of the garage. Well, one thing led to another, and 30 minutes later I was on a nice, straight patch of asphalt.................

:devil:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
so.......did you have to give yourself a ticket.....?

I wanna take mine out sooo bad

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's great to hear Dobie. Once you get it running right after so long of a time of frustration you just gotta go mash the loud pedal! :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I'm just waiting to hear from my customer before I drop some bucks into the motor. I wouldn't trust it to go around the block right now. I think either the timing chain is shot or the valves aren't sealing. :huh:

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:

:jester: I would've but I got away.............. :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
Basketcase said:

:jester: I would've but I got away.............. :drive:

better send Governor Strickland a thank you card for buying Crown Vics.... :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
I finally got my carb back this afternoon. Needless to say I put it right on. After checking a few things here and there, I had to start it up! Once the little leaks were taken care of, I figured I owed it to her to back her out of the garage. Well, one thing led to another, and 30 minutes later I was on a nice, straight patch of asphalt.................

:devil:
So what happened on this straight patch of asphalt :popcorn:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Been a very long time since mine touched asphalt. Before my restoration project started, I had only fooled with minor engine/carb work before. It's daunting how much work goes into redoing a whole vehicle. Chip and the fellahs on Overhaulin' do some interesting things from time to time but they can seriously leave you upset that things in the real world don't get done in 7 days.

I had a realization last year when I first started making a list of things I have to do on the car that even if I were to rebuild the engine to perfection or even buy a new crate hemi (yea right) that none of it matters when the rest of the car is falling apart and the brakes, exhaust, electrical, rust, interior, and other issues are causing problems. Even if I didn't have to go to work anymore, this would still end up taking the better part of 6 months of daily work to get done.

I love hearing about guys getting their cars fixed up and running. It gets me wanting to get mine done and do the same.

dobie

Reaction score
I know how ya feel. I had mine for 3 yrs before she would move under her own power. Once I had the engine/tranny stuff done, then I had to work on all new brakes, front end stuff, etc... Last summer was the first chance I had to drive her. I basically broke her in on the drive down to the Nats in August.

I'm not gonna be able to get to the paint and body for a few more years. For now, I'm just gonna enjoy driving the wheels off!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Confererate, don't get overwhelmed with your car. if I ever get another scanner, I'll post the pics of my car that was in my fire. I traded a buddy a 383&727 for a bare shell with new 1/4 skins. any part that was there, was garbage. someone was well on the way to hacking it up for a halfa**ed race car. the doors,front clip,decklid were junk. the floors were patched,not very well. some brain surgern hacked out the trunk floor, and replaced it with a rusted piece of sheetmetal.
MIA was the engine,4 speed,windshield,gas tank,back bumper,all weather stipping,radiator, heater, and all related parts(linkages,nuts,bolts,etc) the interior was shredded. One thing that helped was having some of the parts from parting out a few '68-'70 Chargers. about 4 years of scrounging the Nats,MCG,e bay, and some trading got all the needed parts. I had a '68 Charger that I kept the 440,4 speed, and misc pieces from. it took me almost 5 years just to get it to move out of the garage, not yet drivable. I primered my multi colored car, and drove it to the Nats in '06. I had the time of my life just driving it there. When the fire took it, all it needed was the floors,headliner and paint.
It can overwhelm you when you look at the long list of what your car needs. Just tkae it one thing at a time. While your waiting on the engine,take care of the brakes. Master cylinder,wheel cylinders,lines. The master is a PIA if there not power. Nuther reason to pull the dash. Advance,Auto Zone,etc. have lifetime warrienty on the cylinders, and good prices. May be import parts, some aren't. I've had good luck with them.
Basically, just one thing at a time, and just keep at it. It's all worth it on the first ride.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Confederate: Like Basketcase says, don't let it overwhelm you. Its like how you eat an elephant... one bite at a time. We're all here to help.. this is a great group of guys that can answer any question you have about your car.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
It's all worth it on the first ride.
Ya know, no truer words have been spoken. Only the guys here can imagine how much money was spent just in getting my car movable. One nightmare after another. Things don't work as they should. I could go on and on. But driving her yesterday put it all back into perspective.

"It's all worth it on the first ride."

:cheers:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
like many here, it didn't happen over night. i have 6 years into mine and i am still doing things new every year. just stay the course and it will happen. :thumbsup:

(hey big john. where is my byline over my avatar? i'm getting jealous :toetap: )

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and when I got my present car with the insurance $, it was leaps and bounds ahead of the lost one. It had all brand new interior. It was drivable(although barely) the day I bought it. The frame and body are pretty solid, except for the 1/4s, and I have brand new skins waiting in the garage. Waiting for my oldest (known on this site as..."The Terror of Ohio State) to get out of collage,car payments,house payments,etc,etc,for the yellow to come off,and F8 to go on. And the reluctance of tearing ANOTHER car apart for paint. But I'm having a total blast just driving it as is, ans I can't wait for salt free roads, and perhaps an understanding Dept Sherriff if i get caught........... :lock:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I was in a Challenger T/A with a sheriff's deputy when I was a reserve and we ran across the town square at 1:00 in the morning, in front of a deputy marshall that had no idea who we were, at 110 mph in 30. Man that was fun.......He turned on the red lights went about 2 blocks and shut them off and we were in the next county. He got a chuckle out of it when we told him a few weeks later. :lock:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mac said:
like many here, it didn't happen over night. i have 6 years into mine and i am still doing things new every year. just stay the course and it will happen. :thumbsup:

(hey big john. where is my byline over my avatar? i'm getting jealous :toetap: )

Hmmm... I'll have to think about one for you.

You know... that is one of the fun things about being admin is doing stuff like that.

Back