• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filled up the new gas tank(found a leak)!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Went and filled the new gas tank on the 70RR yesterday and this morning a small spot on the floor. Took a look up underneath and discovered that the fuel line with a hose clamp must have not been tightened enough. Cleaned & tightened it and we shall see. I don’t do the top off to the last drop thing,I think it creates too much pressure in the tank. Anyone else experienced those issues?

1968 man

Reaction score
Hammer and a screw driver is normally all you need. I would get most of the fuel out if possible so it doesn’t run out and become a safety issue. If it is leaking you should be careful trying to run it out also.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yes sir it’s 3/4 full and when it was delivered it had a little over a quarter tank and no leak. May have to take it to a local garage to get it up in the air and accessible, but it is a new tank,maybe can I pull off the line and reattach it??

woodwiz

Reaction score
This particular car has been pin balling around the classic car market most of 2020. I know of at least 4 previous owners in 2020 that are dealers. Hope that is not a bad thing! The tank on this bird looks brand new,no finish or spray so i'm guessing fairly new. I'm going to look at it a little closer today and see if there is any movement in the lock ring(carefully). Might also just be some tightening of the hose clamp on the fuel line.
I will update. But it sounds like i should just order a new sending unit w/gasket just in case.
Opinions welcome!!

1968 man

Reaction score
This is a photo of my 70 , I put it up on the rack to see how much more clearance you would hav and it is the best way to change the sending unit.D827A2A8-9E69-42E8-A974-67BA484AD0D8.jpegA9F5E700-65C0-4F39-B86E-B4A3D23B63C1.jpeg

Roadtrip

Reaction score
The thickness and strength of the aftermarket trim/lock rings are both thinner and not as strong. You may have to bend the tabs up slightly to increase the pressure applied to the gasket when in the locked position. Also looks like to me you pick up is rusty especially where the wire plugs into it and that there is also some sort of goop all over it as though someone was trying to seal it previously. You may need a new pick up too.

woodwiz

Reaction score
According to info researched on this vehicle,it was restored 15+yes ago.
I think for someone this was a project involving some complete new parts. However the tank appears new but that sending unit area has aged a bit or maybe they put the old one back in.
Not wild about the bare ground wire wrapped around the base of the fuel line tube with a small hose clamp,seems very backyard mechanic to me,also the wire for the sending unit is questionable. Hopefully no fires!

Roadtrip

Reaction score
Fuel sending units are not very expensive. Why. It just put a new one in? Yours looks very suspect

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Get the rite ground strap. Just ordered one and 7 dollars plus shipping. Then get an electrical bonding clip to attach an ground wire to. Lowes has the clip's last I looked.

Roadtrip

Reaction score
Get the rite ground strap. Just ordered one and 7 dollars plus shipping. Then get an electrical bonding clip to attach an ground wire to. Lowes has the clip's last I looked.

Where do you get those clips anyway?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If the gas gauge is accurate don't change the sending unit just the gasket and ground. Just look at the # of threads about my gas gauge reads wrong with the new sending unit.

Roadtrip

Reaction score
If the gas gauge is accurate don't change the sending unit just the gasket and ground. Just look at the # of threads about my gas gauge reads wrong with the new sending unit.

Super accurate statement. I suggested it as it looks as though it may be coming from where the wire plugs into the sender. Kinda rusted and maybe rotten? But as 69hemibeep says if it’s a working (accurately) gauge maybe keep it and restore/fix the leaks...

woodwiz

Reaction score
I like the look of 68Man's 70 sending unitnew and clean. Do you think it can be done with an empty tank and release the hanger bolts and do a drop down or should i have it done with supplied sending unit and ground strap??
Also noticed that the lead wire to the sending unit looks a little raunchy and i'm seeing the wire exposed near the plug end...Not good! Is that lead connection easily found to replace and how does or where does the ground strap attach??
thanks!

1968 man

Reaction score
The ground strap is installed on mine now so I will take a picture and post it some time today. Also the new sending unit that I purchased from Parts Mix appears to be reading correct.

Back