• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Duster

moparchris

Reaction score
Well it wasnt exactly free, I had to trade a b-body 8 3/4. No big deal because we all know that b-body 8 3/4 grow on trees right? Well they do in my backyard anyways (dont ask). So any ways here is the story of how I turned free into a couple of thousand dollar project. My buddy calls me and says "hey I have this 74 Duster and I lost storage for it. You can have it if you take it away today. Oh and by the way i need a b-body 8 3/4 housing." So being the car dude that I am I hhok up my trailer, chuck the 8 3/4 in my truck, and beat feet over there and pick it up. I didnt really even look at it. My buddy claimed it ran but has severe electrical problems. I take it home and proceed to push it around so that I can get cars in and out of my garage over the next few months. Have I ever told you how much I hate pushing cars, especially this one. Next up I jump start it with my truck and low and behold it runs! And good! I put it in gear and it sounds like an old Phord with no ps fluid in it and no movement at all. Bummer, trans fluid looks like coffee grounds. So I look around the shed and various other places for some trans parts and I come across pedals and linkage for an abody 4 speed. I also found a bell housing, flywheel, trans, and shifter.I bet you already have figured where I was going with this. Back at my shop I put it up and pull the trans and start a long and frustrating education in abody 4 speed conversions. I have never done an abody conversion only b-body. Once everything was together I found out I had linkage from a /6 car (wrong z-bar) a clutch fork pivot from an early a-body, a shifter from a Chebbie, rods from who knows where, and a cool homemade :brickwall: shifter plate. All in all the shifter was about a half inch from the dash in NUETRAL! Anyways this thing had hit a curb hard and mutilated the k frame better than I have ever seen before! I have seen some doosies when I worked in a frame shop. Okay Im shutting up now here comes some pics.

moparchris

Reaction score
I thought to myself "hey I 'll just throw a 4 gear in it and I wont have to push it anymore!" boy was I wrong. It still shines and wouldn't you know it, its GREEN! I swear if I buy another GREEN car I am going to implode! There is some rust coming back through and has some bad patch work done to it. Next up plans include a new front end (suspension) and rearend. I have a set of Weldwheels left over from another project. Oh and 540hp 360 for some mean burnouts! I guess I needed another project! I always liked Dusters and now I finally got one.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dark Green...Hmmm, looks like it was white before it was downgraded in color... :D

Nice "Ratchet Shifter"... :lol:

Do you have a back bumper for it? The '74's are wider than the '70 - '73 versions to allow for shock absorber travel - just in case you didn't know. Looks like a cool project, Chris. :thumbsup: You know I'm an A-Body Geek in general, and a Duster Geek in particular so don't hesitate to rattle my cage if you need anything. I have some beige interior stuff if you intend to keep that interior color.

ACME

moparchris

Reaction score
I havent decided what color I am going with in the interior. I did buy a perfect black bottom feeder wheel at the last Fall Fling. I am putting the black bench seat interior from my 70 Swinger in it for now. It was white originally, the green repaint, I think, is gods way of letting me know he has a sense of humor. :acme:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Dark Green...Hmmm, looks like it was white before it was downgraded in color... :D

ACME

:blah: :blah: :blah:
nice project Chris :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
I know I thought the same thing but the hump is huge. A-bodies are different than Bs in that the rods for the shifter go over the t-bar crossmember. I did find out that the shifter I have is for a Ford toploader and the rods are probably homemade. I have new rods already from Brewers and now the shifter and handle are on their way and should be here Friday. Lets cross our fingers that I can actually get this thing driveable.

moparchris

Reaction score
Well I took it around the parking lot at the shop today after 3 weeks of head scratching. Next up will be some driveway time while I work on some other things.

moparchris

Reaction score
I think I spent more time fixing the used hump, that somebody hacked up, than I spent doing the whole swap!

moparchris

Reaction score
Floor patch that someone else cut out, I hope it was rusty. There is no other rust in any of the floor or trunk pans.

moparchris

Reaction score
A little primer. I had this E-brock Performer layin around so on it goes. This intake is actually the first intake I ever bought back in 1986 and I originally put it on my 68 Dart and ran it till I went single plane. Anyways it needs much more to be driveable but it starts and moves under its own power so I dont have to push the f-ing thing around anymore. Now its driveway duty for the next few months.

Back