• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front seal

bstan70rr

Reaction score
I have never ever worked on any part of a transmission. I have not even pulled a pan to replace the filter or change the oil. I leave these messy jobs for the oil change place.

I have a pretty good mess in front of the transmission pf my 67 Dart, so I will be pulling it and replacing the front seal. I cannot imagine there is anything else I should do while I am there, but I want to consult the experts. I also want to get what I need before I start.

It is a 67 Dart convertible, automatic with a 273.

Thanks in advance.

droptop

Reaction score
Very easy to change. Just pull the torque converter out and it is right there. Just like any other seal, knock out the old one and install a new one. The hard part is to R and R the tranny.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I went a little further with my 727. I pulled the transmission oil pump and replaced the o-ring and I also changed the race that the seal sits in. As mentioned, pulling the tranny is the hard part.

edit. I guess the correct term is bushing not race.......

bstan70rr

Reaction score
good stuff. i will have it out, so i might as well do all that i can to prevent a need to pull it out again.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Do the selector shaft seal while it's out... better yet, make sure it's not leaking now and making you think the front seal is leaking!

moparchris

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I went a little further with my 727. I pulled the transmission oil pump and replaced the o-ring and I also changed the race that the seal sits in. As mentioned, pulling the tranny is the hard part.

edit. I guess the correct term is bushing not race.......

X2 usually the front is leaking because the bushing is worn out. Also 904s are notorious for cracked or broken converter snouts. A visual inspection is all it needs

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Well, couldn't that just be good news. But wouldn't yall replace the seal anyway. I have had the car five years, and there is no telling how long since the front seal was replaced. It is not something you can really leave to inspection.

Back