• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge

V269

Reaction score
Hey guy's need to pick your brain a little. I put a new gas tank and a new 3/8 sending unit in my runner and now the gas gauge does not read properly. It will come up to the empty mark but not any further. Yes there is plenty of gas in the tank and it is grounded as well. I did not change anything else and it worked fine with the old set up. Any thought's ? Let me know. Thank's, Ken. PS, just joined the form, I'm a newbie eh !! :banana:

CWR

Reaction score
Hi Ken...............I see you found the spot..........These guys will want pictures of your car.

Wayne

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ken, welcome aboard!!!

I think that you sometimes have to manually adjust (as in "bend") the float arm to get them to read accurately...trial and error...you guys jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong...

Post some pics...lest ye be drawn and quartered by the Dark Overlord of the Picture Realm (um, that would be our buddy Basketcase...)... :D

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Or you got a bad gauge. I test them with an ohm meter before they go in. And welcome aboard :party: :party: :party:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
First, welcome to the birds' nest Ken. And join the club with the gauge reading being off. That seems to be a common problem. Gary, there is only one wire to the sending unit in the tank so I don't think that could be it as long as the wires to the gague itself were changed. And Ray I tried doing the same thing by bending the float rod . I guess I have to do it again 'cause it still ain't right. You say Ken that it only goes to the empty line? That would make me think you got it in upside down. But IIRC, there is a slot in the sending unit so the there is only one way to put it in. That might be something to look at. I'm sure there will be more ideas to follow. And CWR is correct, we do like pictures. Do come back often and join the fun. We have a lot of that here.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Ken King said:
Hey guy's need to pick your brain a little. I put a new gas tank and a new 3/8 sending unit in my runner and now the gas gauge does not read properly. It will come up to the empty mark but not any further. Yes there is plenty of gas in the tank and it is grounded as well. I did not change anything else and it worked fine with the old set up. Any thought's ? Let me know. Thank's, Ken. PS, just joined the form, I'm a newbie eh !! :banana:
The new ones are junk , if your old one read correctly and worked put it back in . They dont make the news ones correct at all . Or try adjusting the float but I have had no luck with the new ones at all even trying to ajust them they only go to 3/4 full and fall off fast to half . Then at empty you still have 6-8 gallons in the tank .

Oh and welcome and we must see pictures of the car and know the color :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The new one I had went bad in storage :loco: I got a new one from Hoover auto parts that is of better quality with a brass float and it bench tested perfect. Coarse I havent filled the tank yet :D

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The new one I had went bad in storage :loco: I got a new one from Hoover auto parts that is of better quality with a brass float and it bench tested perfect. Coarse I havent filled the tank yet :D
you must let us know if it goes above 3/4 full ? if you ever finish :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Go back to the joke section where you belong :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :devil:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Go back to the joke section where you belong :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :devil:

yes sir I was taught to respect my elders :wave: :wave:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
you must let us know if it goes above 3/4 full ? if you ever finish :jester:[/quote]
Go back to the joke section where you belong :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :devil:[/quote]

yes sir I was taught to respect my elders :wave: :wave:[/quote]
Ouch that left a mark :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
I would ask, finish what? :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Post some pics...lest ye be drawn and quartered by the Dark Overlord of the Picture Realm (um, that would be our buddy Basketcase...)... :D

:jester:
ACME[/quote]

I see someone has been playing Dungeonmasters again..... :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: (pat pend)

welcome to the site Ken :cheers:

Back