• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

generals roadrunner motor

mcmopar

Reaction score
Looks great! But isn't the paint supposed to be on the outside? :acme: :jester:

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
the paint on the inside is a paint that seals the pores of the metal to let the oil flow into the pan quicker

mcmopar

Reaction score
I know - that's why I put the smiley's there. :yesnod: I did that years ago when I put a 440 in my 1st road runner.
Its looking really good!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Is that a bluetooth electric choke? I don't see any wires :jester: She looks good :thumbsup:

joewhite440

Reaction score
Looks great! I just hope you had everything really clean and the paint stays on the inside of the block. Could be bad on bearings if it peals off. I am sure you have did this before, How did it work out on others? What paint do you use inside?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe - that looks like Glyptal - pretty standard stuff for internal engine paint.

joewhite440

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Joe - that looks like Glyptal - pretty standard stuff for internal engine paint.

Thanks Ray!

I have built quite a few engines and have seen it done on some engines at machine shops when I dropped off blocks etc. I just never did it or knew what they used. Is there any special method or prep work for painting this stuff. I hope I never get to old to learn or try to any way!!!

Thanks again
Joe

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I cheated had the machine shop do the bottom end and redo the heads,all i did was put it together. block had been cooked,honed, new freeze plugs, and cam bearings. crank was ground ,was all installed with clevite bearings,and new rings(just a stock bottom end)the heads were cooked ,resurfaced 10thou, newguides and valves, harden seats . all that for under a grand but it took 2 months to get it back
now I put a comp extreme cam one step up from stock,with their lifters and double roller timing chain.stock rocker set up stock replacement edelbrock alum intanke and a 1406 edelbrock carb. mp electronic dist conversion. and a mellings oil pump. dont think I left any thing out. wanted to keep it close to stock and hopefully I will get ok mpg and beable to run no more than mid grade gas. what do you guys think?

motor must have been redone right before me because cylinders were round and not even a ridge from the pistons

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
joewhite440 said:
ACME A12 said:

Thanks Ray!

I have built quite a few engines and have seen it done on some engines at machine shops when I dropped off blocks etc. I just never did it or knew what they used. Is there any special method or prep work for painting this stuff. I hope I never get to old to learn or try to any way!!!

Thanks again
Joe

that is the glyptal stuff. had friends used it never a problem after a fews years so far.
just like other paint clean ,clean ,and clean before you paint

joewhite440

Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
joewhite440 said:
ACME A12 said:

Thanks Ray!

Thanks again
Joe

that is the glyptal stuff. had friends used it never a problem after a fews years so far.
just like other paint clean ,clean ,and clean before you paint

That is good that you have the experience and understand it. I never used it but the idea makes perfect since and looks great. I asked to learn for myself as well as protect your investment. Dirt and rolled up paint is hard on main Bearings.

Thanks for the information.

Your project seems to be moving along at a good pace :thumbsup:
Joe

Back