• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

getting pissed! ready to sell it!

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
:brickwall: :brickwall: rear main is still leaking after changing it 3 times ! machine shop polished the crank , and I can see the oil pushing out the bottom of the seal .is there any tricks to seal it or make it a tighter fit?(sand alittle off the cap and seal to get it closer)even used the anaerobic sealer. please help before I put it up for sale! :brickwall: :brickwall:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... ost5798793

found this thread with alot of good advice. read the whole thing. good info spread thoughout. good luck. also, if i had sold the car because of a few problems, it would have been gone a long time ago. keep at it. i still keep screwing with things on the car to make "improvements". i have been though 3 cams, 2 sets of heads, 3 sets of carbs, and 2 ignition systems, to see what worked better.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Like mac said :brickwall: :brickwall: all the set backs I have had I should think my car is possessed :lol: cherry picker let go and dropped engine bam there goes oil pan and fresh paint and list of other things.

I have had this car for close to 37 years now and that's one reason along with many others I just keep plugging away on it.

Don't let it get ya down it will work out for the best.

Could be a Chebbie and leaking from every place it could :yesnod: :D

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
guess I was just blowing off steam missed 3 car shows because of the leak. and all the people I talk to keep telling me the motor might have to come out . dont have the money for another rebuild.this is one of the time I should have just spent my money on a crate motor instead of listening to my dad, and taking it to an machine shop that he wanted me to goto.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
guess I was just blowing off steam missed 3 car shows because of the leak. and all the people I talk to keep telling me the motor might have to come out . dont have the money for another rebuild.this is one of the time I should have just spent my money on a crate motor instead of listening to my dad, and taking it to an machine shop that he wanted me to goto.

Yea I been there and second guessed on many cars and wish I done this or done that :yesnod:

To bad we just can't look into the future we be ahead of the game :cents:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
This is kind of a basic question... but sometimes it's something very simple....

Is the seal put in facing the right direction?

The second thing to ask is how much oil is leaking? There is no such thing as a completely dry seal.... especially big block Mopars.

zupanj

Reaction score
Ditto what Big John said. I have a 427 Cobra as well as my Roadrunner. Both engines drip oil though not enough to matter engine-wise. I view it as the cars marking their territory.

moparchris

Reaction score
I can feel your pain. Just to help sympathize with you and maybe give you a chuckle. I built an engine for a friend and it leaked from the rear pan area. I pulled the pan 3 times and changed the rear main seal every time. I even changed out the the pan thinking that was the problem. I finally pulled the engine to check the bearings and found that the cam plug was leaking down the back of the engine and hitting the top of the seal and running around down onto the pan rail. I had built many motors at that time and I would have bet my life it was the rear main that was leaking but until I removed the flywheel I couldn't see the cam plug! A $2 item caused me so much grief!! These things make you grow as a Mopar owner.

dobie

Reaction score
My car has been nothing but problems and a financial drain. I've too thought about selling mine. In the end tho, I can't do it. These cars aren't readily seen anymore. Even mine, all crapped out, still gets thumbs up when driving down the road. Thru everything, I maintain now, that ill never part with mine. They'll have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands!

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
had it running it drips every 1-2 seconds. seal is in with the little flap to the inside. had every thing cleaned and running while I watched. you can see both plugs above and it is dry. you can actually see the oil coming out between the cap and the seal.

Jim S.

Reaction score
This will be my third try at the rear main this summer. Doesn't leak real bad but, enough to bug me. I'm going to stick a rope seal in this time. If that don't work, then it must be the cam plug as Chris mentioned..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7474

mcmopar

Reaction score
I thought I had a rear main seal leak when I put mine back together back in '03. Turned out to be nothing more than an oil pan gasket leak right at the junction of the rear main cap and the block. I'm running a windage tray and of course you need 2 gaskets - one on top of the tray and one on the bottom. I silicon sealed it like there was no tomorrow but still had a leak. I just did not get enough in the cavity at the rear main seal between the tray and the block. I didn't want to remove the pan and go through all the hassle of replacing the 2 gaskets so after I located the leaking spot I shot it full of WalMart carb cleaner to clean all the oil out of it and then squeezed more RTV Blue into the small cavity. I have not had a leak since then!

moparchris

Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
had it running it drips every 1-2 seconds. seal is in with the little flap to the inside. had every thing cleaned and running while I watched. you can see both plugs above and it is dry. you can actually see the oil coming out between the cap and the seal.

So you pulled the trans, bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel? That is the only way you could possibly see the cam plug.

moparchris

Reaction score
Just so our communication is clear. Here is a pic of a block with the cam plug removed. Its the 2 inch hole between and just below the two pipe plugs.

Cam plug removed.jpg

railrider

Reaction score
Somebody may have already asked but are you running a stock pump or High Volume Pump? I noticed when I ran High Volume pumps I had more problems with leaks. I had a nice tight engine that was built and ran in my car. I one day decided to add a High Volume pump and then had some small drips from then on. Something to consider.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
railrider said:
Somebody may have already asked but are you running a stock pump or High Volume Pump? I noticed when I ran High Volume pumps I had more problems with leaks. I had a nice tight engine that was built and ran in my car. I one day decided to add a High Volume pump and then had some small drips from then on. Something to consider.
I know i dont have a high volume pump. because I was told I had a stock pan and could suck it dry at high rpms. High pressure I might have? cant remember.and yes I could see the plug when running between the flywheel and block. I also bought one of the led inspection camera from Harbor Freight ( that is an awsome toy)and snaked it up after the car was shut off. dry all around execpt the spray off the flywheel.I watched it push out the lower part of the seal.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
moparchris said:
generaljmwlee said:

So you pulled the trans, bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel? That is the only way you could possibly see the cam plug.

I'll see if I can get a pic fri when I work on it again

railrider

Reaction score
I know i dont have a high volume pump. because I was told I had a stock pan and could suck it dry at high rpms. High pressure I might have? [/quote]

Actually I think its the High Pressure that will suck your pan dry. I have ran many High Volume Pumps with stock pans without issue at High RPM. I always ran a gauge to watch it. I thought High pressure pumps were for Circle Track Racing or something. Might be worth checking into. I was told by a pretty reputable engine builder you need 10 pounds of pressure per 1000 RPM. Anything more is a waste he says.

Back