• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got another new car!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Since I'm going to a new job which is farther away from home than my old one I bit the bullet on another 2013 Dodge Dart. We bought one for my wife back on Nov. 30 and after running the numbers we came to the conclusion that we could pop for another one. I'm going to be doing a lot of driving back and forth to St. Cloud where my new job with Askey Hughey, Inc. (AHI) is located so a more fuel efficient car was needed. The Dart I got is the AERO model outfitted with a 1.4L turbo engine and 6 speed manual transmission. It is True Blue Pearl with a black interior. I got a fantastic deal at Orlando Dodge because Mike Smith, the owner, supported our car club, the Mighty Mopars of Orlando, when it was in existence and every time I took in one of my previous cars for service he would always make time for a quick chat. Plus I've bought 3 cars from him in the past. He also used to own a 69 road runner very similar to mine some years ago. Anyway, he gave me a VERY generous trade for my '07 Caliber R/T and I put an extra 2K down. I also got a 4 yr/60K mile warranty rolled into the deal along with a 2.44% interest rate. The result is a payment of just over $254 per month. My wife's payment is $226 per month, so cars and mortgage together is $1080/month which is great! Even if my new job venture goes bad (which it won't) we'll still be able to cover all the bills. I'll post some pics of the two cars together in the next day or two. I've never bought two new cars together like this before so this is quite a big step! But at least it is affordable and the cars are excellent.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: On the new job and hope all goes well on the new car.

John,

Can you post up on how the new Dart meets you needs both pro and con. :yesnod:

As i'm thinking on buying one for the wife and getting rid of the HHR.

droptop

Reaction score
I really think that Dodge missed the boat with the Dart by only making a 4 door model. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good for you John :thumbsup: I might have to get a new car some day Ive always buy slightly used. :yesnod:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Great news John! :thumbsup: It's great that things are working out for you now!! I've heard that the new Darts aren't selling that well so far. I've only seen 2 on the road around here!

mcmopar

Reaction score
abodybill said:
:thumbsup: On the new job and hope all goes well on the new car.

John,

Can you post up on how the new Dart meets you needs both pro and con. :yesnod:

As i'm thinking on buying one for the wife and getting rid of the HHR.

Well, we've only had my wife's for a month now and I don't get to drive it all that much! :lmao: It is her daily driver, after all. But I think I can give you my impressions so far:
1. I really like the styling. Even as a 4 door the car looks good. The front and rear styling are sharp and the lines flow well. The tail end is designed to be reminiscent of the new Charger. Mine has the "racetrack" rear LED tail lights, while my wife's does not. The difference is that her tail light display at night is only on the two ends while mine is all lit up. The AERO has pans under the car and active grille shutters which automatically divert unneeded airflow around the car which helps prevent air buildup in front of and under the car in order to mprove gas mileage
2. The interior is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. We have the basic instrumentation - no upscale digital stuff - and it works for us. We both have manual transmissions and the shifting action is very nice. The clutch pedal pressure is very light. In fact, it was so light it took some getting used to! Your left leg will definitely not get tired in the manual trans cars!
The one thing about these cars is they sit low -lower than either the PT Cruiser of the Caliber - or the HHR I am sure. It will take some getting used to - especially if you have mobility problems with your back or knees.
3. Steering feel is firm and taught - no sloppiness detected. The car feels good on the road and maneuverability is excellent.
4. The 2.0L Tigershark engine in my wife's car is rated at 160 hp and 146 lb/ft of torque. It is responsive and runs well but she is a little underwhelmed having had a 225 hp turbo in her PT Cruiser. The seat of the pants feel isn't nearly the same. She misses the turbo's power. But the fuel economy is far better and she only needs to run 87 octane instead of 93 so the savings is where it's at. She has averaged anywhere from 30-32 mpg in mixed use driving whereas the PT Cruiser only got around 22 mpg. If you switch from a normally aspirated engine in your old ride to this one you wouldn't be disappointed in how it runs. I can't speak for the automatic trans cars as I haven't driven one but I will say that the automatic's fuel economy estimates are about 2-4 mpg less than the manual trans cars ratings.
5. The 1.4L turbo engine in my car is really nice. Around town, just puttering along it feels like any small 4 banger but step into it and you feel the torque kick in. This engine is rated at 160 hp and 184 lb/ft of torque. The torque band is really good between 2500 - 4000 rpm and is addictive if you punch it but the idea is to get mileage and you won't get the best mileage if you are in it all the time! You certainly won't be bashful about passing the slow pokes if you have to!

6. A couple of things I did not know about the AERO before I bought it have made me a little disappointed. Her car has a 15.8 gal. tank which affords a really nice range. The info I saw on the AERO also indicated a fuel capacity of 15.8 gal. but upon looking in the owner's manual I found the fuel capacity to be 13.2 gal. This was done to decrease weight - as was the deletion of the underhood engine cover and hood pad as well as the spare tire. I do not have a spare tire at all. Instead the factory put a "fix-a-flat" type of contraption in the trunk that once used has to be taken back to the dealership to be recharged. Very funky!
Also, the salesmen at both dealerships we got the cars at mentioned that the turbo engine required only 87 octane. The owner's manual clarifies the matter. While the turbo engine can be operated on 87 octane fuel it is recommended that 91 octane (min.) be used for optimum performance and fuel economy. The dealership filled the car for me and I am pretty sure that they filled it with 87 octane as I have experienced some brief sputtering. From now on I will probably use 89 octane in it which will cut into my projected fuel savings. This is a bit disappointing, at least to me.

So far I am well pleased with the change from my '07 Caliber R/T. My gas mileage around town is hovering around 30 mpg (rating is 28) and I can't wait to start the new job to see how well it does on the commute. I am hopeful of 35-36 mpg. The car is a comfortable road car and has a really nice stereo for being the base model. Our systems feature 4 speakers and you can get systems with 6-8 speakers and multi-disc CD changers but the basic system is by no means a disappointment. All-in-all I am extremely pleased so far.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report on the Darts that your wife and you have. :thumbsup:

Yes I do like the tail lights that your Dart has really a sharp looking tailend.

If it's like the wifes HHR I will get very limited seat time.

Heck it's an 06 and just turned 40,000 miles.

Looking to give it to my one son and get out of the Bow-tie line and have all Mopars.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Great news John! :thumbsup: It's great that things are working out for you now!! I've heard that the new Darts aren't selling that well so far. I've only seen 2 on the road around here!

It is funny - I haven't seen one on the road yet! My brother mentioned that he had seen one pass him on the way over here on Christmas day - a gray one. I took him out to my garage as he was telling me this and he was looking at the Dart brochure I had, not paying attention to where he was. I opened the door leading into the garage and asked him; "you mean one like this?" At first he didn't quite understand until he looked up and saw my wife's Dart sitting in the garage. He nearly freaked out! We took it for a ride and he loved it! I told him I was thinking about getting one myself so I called him up yesterday evening while I was out for a drive and told him I had gotten the blue one.

I am told that the reason for the slow sales stem from a lack of advertising - which I think is somewhat true. Dodge needs to go on an advertising blitz to get the word out about the Dart. Another reason may be the price. The upper scale models can be pricey. I have seen up to 25K on some - and that isn't even the top of the line R/T. I'll bet that car will go for 27-30K which is far too much for my blood. The lower end cars are very affordable, however, but are still a bit more than the competition. We looked atthe Ford Fiesta but decided against it after my wife saw a multitude of negative reviews by owners of these cars concerning transmission failures, cooling problems and oil leaks.

I have heard rumors of a possible SRT-4 Dart in the works but we'll see how that goes. I'd love to see a 250+ hp engine put into one of these little bodies. It would scream!
I hope the Dart is a success for Chrysler and they start selling more of them. I'd hate to see a short production run.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Roadcuda said:

It is funny - I haven't seen one on the road yet! My brother mentioned that he had seen one pass him on the way over here on Christmas day - a gray one. I took him out to my garage as he was telling me this and he was looking at the Dart brochure I had, not paying attention to where he was. I opened the door leading into the garage and asked him; "you mean one like this?" At first he didn't quite understand until he looked up and saw my wife's Dart sitting in the garage. He nearly freaked out! We took it for a ride and he loved it! I told him I was thinking about getting one myself so I called him up yesterday evening while I was out for a drive and told him I had gotten the blue one.

I am told that the reason for the slow sales stem from a lack of advertising - which I think is somewhat true. Dodge needs to go on an advertising blitz to get the word out about the Dart. Another reason may be the price. The upper scale models can be pricey. I have seen up to 25K on some - and that isn't even the top of the line R/T. I'll bet that car will go for 27-30K which is far too much for my blood. The lower end cars are very affordable, however, but are still a bit more than the competition. We looked atthe Ford Fiesta but decided against it after my wife saw a multitude of negative reviews by owners of these cars concerning transmission failures, cooling problems and oil leaks.

I have heard rumors of a possible SRT-4 Dart in the works but we'll see how that goes. I'd love to see a 250+ hp engine put into one of these little bodies. It would scream!
I hope the Dart is a success for Chrysler and they start selling more of them. I'd hate to see a short production run.

The lack of advertizing and price are the 2 main things I read on some other mopar sites as to why the sales are low. But then on those sites there isn't much love for the Darts because they have no resemblance to the original Darts! If I needed a new car I would seriously consider them but my since '03 PT is still under 58k miles and running strong I have no need for a new car. Besides, I don't need a new car payment!!!!

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Congrats! That's a good looking car for a new 2013 vehicle. This is the car Dodge should have come out with after they deep sixed the Neon - not the caliber - which I thought was an awful replacement. I like the new Dart but they could have used a different name as they don't resemble any Dart in any way.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Actually it is not so much supposed to look like the original as it is supposed to look like the shape of a "dart" (the object, not the original car) IMO - narrow at the front and flaring toward the rear. Sure, it brings back an old nameplate but let's face it, the original Dart had about as much aerodynamics going for it as a bread box on wheels. I like the old Darts, don't get me wrong, my wife's first car was a 66 four door Dart with a 273 and TF trans, but even they changed body styles between the 66 and 67 model years. And honestly, haven't we had just about enough of new cars trying to look like their namesakes? The Camaro is butt ugly if you ask me and the Challenger is decent but still a tank. The Mustang isn't bad but I would not have one. I'm not too hung up on the name being re-used, I think it is a nice marketing attempt to try and bring to mind the name of old all redone and presented in a new package. Nostalgia is great but if carried to extremes it just looks stale after awhile. That's just my :cents:

Back