• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

got bored and painted the high beams

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
FYI, don't drive the car with those lights in New York State. You will get stopped and ticketed.

I'd be kind of surprised if they were legal in NJ.

djais1801

Reaction score
I don't plan on being that far north Big John. I am dialed in with enough local law enforcement that it won't be a problem.
FYI, don't drive the car with those lights in New York State. You will get stopped and ticketed.

I'd be kind of surprised if they were legal in NJ.

RR383

Reaction score
I like it...although how many states in the union would like it as well?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Looks good but I'm curious. What is the idea of doing that? Is it just cosmetic, or is it for some other purpose? I don't know what the law is in CT but I know of a local cop in the next town over from me who has done that on his car!! So I'm guessing that it's legal.

RR383

Reaction score
Most of us have seen this added touch using amber bulbs. What's next..halo lamps...or is there something else out there on the horizon?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good but I'm curious. What is the idea of doing that? Is it just cosmetic, or is it for some other purpose? I don't know what the law is in CT but I know of a local cop in the next town over from me who has done that on his car!! So I'm guessing that it's legal.

I'm going with simply cosmetic. Sox and Martin did the blue headlight thing for years. But no idea where they got the idea...

Blue is illegal here in FLA. Same for red. Other colors can be used though.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It's a custom car thing from the early sixties. The fad was gone by the time these cars came out. It goes along with those chrome shades that go over the top half of the headlight.

There may be a street racing connection too... You would know what car was coming at you by the color of the headlights. The guys in the sixties here used to wire the parking lights into the headlights (before that was a standard thing on cars) so you would see if it was one of the racers back at the starting line.

Last edited:

ykf7b0

Reaction score

I love that look! I did mine with some green tint I found on the web. I had gotten the idea 10 years ago after seeing a motorcycle that had the tint on the headlight. I will get a picture uploaded in a couple days.

jaymarr65

Reaction score
I love that look! I did mine with some green tint I found on the web. I had gotten the idea 10 years ago after seeing a motorcycle that had the tint on the headlight. I will get a picture uploaded in a couple days.

My 72 with the amber thanks to djais1801 for the paint.

image.jpg

djais1801

Reaction score
I wasn't so in love with it once I did it...they were a 2nd set of bulbs, I already swapped them back...I may try amber.

Back