• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Group 24 or Group 27

sax69

Reaction score
Hello Gentleman,
I OWN A 1969 ROADRUNNER WITHOUT A BATTERY!
What size battery are you guys using? Which was original?
Battery topper or not.

I swear this resto beaten me down and made me incapable of making a decision.
So that and a wife that does the same thing and I'm really screwed!

Thanks

69B5

Reaction score
It depends on your engine.
383 standard equipment - 24-MB-59
426 & 440 standard eqip. - 27-MB-70
440 & 383 special equip. - 27MB70R
I hope this helps
69B5

Collin

Reaction score
Arent these batteries really expensive? How do the battery toppers look? I want the look of an original without paying the crazy price? You guys have any input?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Collin said:
Arent these batteries really expensive? How do the battery toppers look? I want the look of an original without paying the crazy price? You guys have any input?
My group 27 was almost $250 and its a gel cell. Now the day it goes bad I plan on cutting the bottom out and gutting it to install a mini battery and strap it to the bottom side of the posts to help defer the cost.

solid gold

Reaction score
You have a beautiful vert. Don't go cheap on the battery. Red Cap for sure! 256.00 to you door-ready to go! Axiom Power You won't have to second guess yourself later! Just my opinon. :cents:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for both the RR, and the Formula "S". But I've always heard that the biggest problem is that the batteries don't last more then a year or two. Is this Axion power battery a solution to this problem? If so, who sells it?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69B5 said:
It depends on your engine.
383 standard equipment - 24-MB-59
426 & 440 standard eqip. - 27-MB-70
440 & 383 special equip. - 27MB70R
I hope this helps
69B5

Kinda, sorta, Fran. You know Ma MoPar: Never say never, and never say always. The consensus is that A12s were delivered with Group 24 batteries. Pretty well documented. Gotta have the damned yellow caps even... :lol:

A service bulletin later recommended a change to the Group 27 battery.

I know he's not asking about an A12, but my point is that with these cars it is so seldom cut and dried...

:jester:

Jim S.

Reaction score
The Legendary toppers look pretty good and they have removable caps. Trouble is, they are too wide for the standard Mopar battery hold down. I had to cut my hold down and re-weld it then re-coat it with spray plasti-dip to make it look good. Probably as much work as hollowing out a resto battery after it dies like Bob suggested but, I took the chepo route with a Napa group 24 flat top battery.

mannye

Reaction score
But if it's a gel cell, isn't that like the best possible battery you can get? Aren't Optima batteries gel cells? They are off the charts expensive too!

69B5

Reaction score
Good morning Ray
You are so right about Ma Mopar
I took the battery info. from the 69 RR service manual
These batteries sure are expensive, but then, look what their going into
Have a great day
69B5

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mannye said:
But if it's a gel cell, isn't that like the best possible battery you can get? Aren't Optima batteries gel cells? They are off the charts expensive too!
I use Optima batteries in all my other cars, but I always thought they were dry cell because you can run them upside down if you want.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I always thought they were dry cell because you can run them upside down if you want.

Yep. :yesnod:

AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery.

moparchris

Reaction score
You guys are such a great help......and you even stayed on topic. :lol: Now wheres my toe nail clippers? :acme:

mannye

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
mannye said:
I use Optima batteries in all my other cars, but I always thought they were dry cell because you can run them upside down if you want.

You do use them? I'm always eying them at Advance Auto Parts but I shy away because the freaking things cost 329 bucks! Of course, if it's worth the money I would think of it.... so what is a gel cell if they aren't? I thought that's what they were...but I see that they market the Optima as a "spiral cell" without saying if it's a gel or not, so that really doesn't matter.

Are they worth it? I'm going through the regular Advance batteries at a rate of one every other year... most of the time this means a free replacement, but I would much rather not have to pull the thing every 18 to 24 months and take it to the store.... inquiring minds want to know....

sax69

Reaction score
I really appreciate the feed back.
I am leaning towards the turbo Start for, Gulp $240 bucks to my door from Summit. Shipping is cheap there for anyone who's interested

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANP-S27MRE/

Are modern batteries all AGM?
If anyone out there is using them have they stood the test of time?
They do look nice, My engine compartment is not yet ready for a show worthy battery so if I buy this thing now I hope to have it last a couple years until I get it finished.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sax69 said:
I really appreciate the feed back.
I am leaning towards the turbo Start for, Gulp $240 bucks to my door from Summit. Shipping is cheap there for anyone who's interested

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANP-S27MRE/

Are modern batteries all AGM?
If anyone out there is using them have they stood the test of time?
They do look nice, My engine compartment is not yet ready for a show worthy battery so if I buy this thing now I hope to have it last a couple years until I get it finished.
Very nice, but I hope you have an over flow hose on that radiator by now so it doesn't puke all over that pretty compartment :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
MrsBeeps car has an Optima because you almost have to turn it upside down to get it in and out. Then to boot in the desert a standard wet battery is good for 2 summers and they start dropping lead and die. I started with them in my jeep and got 5-7 years out Optimas, what we did find is that after a year or two you need to clean the cables, you will not see any corrosion but they do loose the connection some how.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
You guys are such a great help......and you even stayed on topic. :lol: Now wheres my toe nail clippers? :acme:

Stop joking around. It's really annoying. :basketcase:

:jester:

Back